In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
Gorehamj

Unusual Manufacturing Plan Emerges For 2019 Silverado

2019-Chevrolet-Silverado-003.jpg

John Goreham

Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com

12-20-2017

A report by Automotive News includes news that GM will concurrently build the outgoing 2018 Silverado and the all-new 2019 model. Although this is not the first time we have heard of such a thing, VW overlapped its older, smaller two-row Tiguan with its bigger, three-row version this year, for example, it is rare. The report says that Ram plans to also overlap its new and old models in early 2018.

In related news, GM is spending millions to upgrade and ready its manufacturing locations in Mexico and Indiana to produce the new 2019 Silverado. At this juncture, it is unclear if the Canadian plant will also make the truck, though that seems likely at some future point.  

Chevy also did this with the previous generation Impala for 3 years while the new current gen Impala was produced.  Though the previous gen was specifically for fleets such as Police and Rental cars. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's not that rare, GM did it with the Equinox. The outgoing was built right beside the new one.

• Like 1

Weren't there GMT800 Silverado 'Classics' when the 900 was ramping up?

• Like 1

Weren't there GMT800 Silverado 'Classics' when the 900 was ramping up?

Yes

2017 Chevy Silverado LTZ Z71 6.2L
4.5" Zone
22x10 American Force Grips
33x12.5 Nitto Ridge Grapplers
Instagram @wildchevys

From my experience, you'd be better informed talking to a telephone pole outside of your house than GM's PR department up here. Back in the 80s, the contractors were prepping the site for construction of the Oshawa South Stamping Plant. The resident idgit said GM didn't have any expansion plans in the works when asked by the local media. 

If Ft. Wayne is shipping cabs & boxes to Oshawa, are they the last plant to changeover to the T1XX? Or is the body shop there capable of building both models? I know our body shop tooling allowed us to build SOME GMT900s while we were still building GMT800s.

Edited by revrnd

The Square Body trucks were made for several years along with the new GMT400s too.  

Oh great, now we have to go through the usual "do you mean 2018 old style built in 2018, or 2019 new style built in 2018" deal all over again.  GM plays these games and it probably doesn't sell 10 more trucks than they would have.  The new 2019s are so damned ugly that they should produce 2018s well into 2019, to sell more trucks while they still can.  Oh well, it won't be long before posters on here are talking about NNNBS vs NNNNBS.  :sigh:

Edited by MaverickZ71
  • Like 4

GM has done this previously and nothing new at all in GM's world...

Selling capable trucks of current generation to customers who want just that and nothing more fancy for work/fleet etc.  Will probably bring 1 Billion to GM's revenue stream?  While the systems are put in place to allow FULL SCALE up of Next GENERATIONS....GM is operating a much leaner/meaner presence and excellent move! 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, swathdiver said:

The Square Body trucks were made for several years along with the new GMT400s too.  

Yes, the Blazers, Suburbans & crew cabs continued on as R/V trucks. The regular & extended cab trucks were GMT400s.

IIRC correctly, while we stopped building '86s in the summer of '86 for the retool, Flint built C/K trucks for the '87 model year (a friend bought 1 new). I'm not sure for how long though. We started building '88 GMT400s in Dec' of '86.

Edited by revrnd

2 minutes ago, Aurora85 said:

So when can we expect the “2019” to be on the lots for purchase?

In typical GM or Automotive fashion.....Late 2018 Sept and after!

10 hours ago, MaverickZ71 said:

Oh well, it won't be long before posters on here are talking about NNNBS vs NNNNBS.  :sigh:

Maybe if people learned the model designation before posting about whether or not they should level their new truck...

Maybe a simple spotters guide/legend should be on the FAQ page? LOL

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 2:18 PM, Gorehamj said:

John Goreham

12-20-2017

In related news, GM is spending millions to upgrade and ready its manufacturing locations in Mexico and Indiana to produce the new 2019 Silverado.

If this is true what a slap in the face to the American tax payer after loaning GM all the millions for them to stay in business. 

• Like 1

On December 20, 2017 at 2:18 PM, Gorehamj said:

2019-Chevrolet-Silverado-003.jpg

John Goreham

12-20-2017

A report by Automotive News includes news that GM will concurrently build the outgoing 2018 Silverado and the all-new 2019 model. Although this is not the first time we have heard of such a thing, VW overlapped its older, smaller two-row Tiguan with its bigger, three-row version this year, for example, it is rare. The report says that Ram plans to also overlap its new and old models in early 2018.

In related news, GM is spending millions to upgrade and ready its manufacturing locations in Mexico and Indiana to produce the new 2019 Silverado. At this juncture, it is unclear if the Canadian plant will also make the truck, though that seems likely at some future point.  

GM, I believe, continued building the 1954 truck line well into 1955.  GM,  concerned that the new 1955 model might be too radical for the liking of their truck market.  However, when it became obvious that the 1955 would be a big hit the 1954 model was discontinued.  Btw, the 1954/1955 is the preferred model of many collectors as they're the last of the line and fairly rare.