What do you use your Silverado for?

I drive a truck (and this specific truck, 2016 5.3L regular cab)  to serve numerous purposes...

For business I use it as a rolling office, to pick up lumber/supplies etc, deliver cabinets/carry tools for installation, dump runs etc (no commute since my shop is in the garage so it only has 8,000 miles)  

For home it gets used as a grocery getter, errand runner, taxi service and as a large item delivery service for friends/relatives.

For fun it gets used as a California coastline/valley cruiser on the weekend, date night with the wife/friends driver (no room for anyone to ride with us so we can stay as long as we want or sneak out early if we want :D), as a platform for modifying to my personal tastes and when I get around to finishing my system as a demo vehicle for my mobile audio side business. The  hard tonneau cover and full bedrug kit also provides refuge from the sun as well as a soft place to lie down if needed whenever we are outdoors somewhere.

On top of all that when I get the itch to do a little "spirited" driving it is powerful enough to fill in as a "sports car" that just happens to have a very  useful bed. :)

IMG_0818.thumb.JPG.af4443e54288d6c20837b6835ab0bd0b.JPG

• Like 3

I drive mine daily because I like driving a truck. My Camaro is my toy.  Once in a while I will pull a trailer to buy a new old car or trailer the Corvette to the race track. I just picked up a dirt bike and will use the truck for that when I go alone. If Im taking more then one bike I will pull a trailer. 

I work from home so I don't need a car at all for work. 

On 5/1/2018 at 12:53 PM, amxguy1970 said:

Many do, they just won't admit it...

Huh? You will need to explain the "fun" part more because driving a truck sucks; except for the room and seating position they are about as far from "fun" as a minivan.

As far as my uses, mostly commuting (25 miles round trip), mountain biking, camping, hunting, jetski hauling (hoping to move back to a boat again in the near future), house stuff (I'm a big DIY'er), motorcycles, exploring the back country (have done the Alpine loop, White Rim, ect). The motorcycle breaks up the monotony of daily driving the truck. I want to pick up a toy car to mod and do more track days, then I can have more "fun" and engagement while driving as well as I miss that. It is a utility knife and was bought to be used as another tool in my garage.

Tyler

Honestly I find it fun to drive too, I don't know if it's just a comfort thing, or being up a little higher, but I like it compared to some cars I've had (pretty nice ones too).

I see that you use the truck for mountain biking, I do too. Just throw my Santa Cruz right in the back and I'm on my way.

Edited by Doublebase

I've got to say I'm a little surprised at all the people using these things for daily commuting, some pretty long commutes, I thought I was goi to regret buying a truck for a long commute but so far it's been great. Been getting great gas mileage, it's comfortable...I'm hoping it's reliable...and I've been able to sell my clunker truck that I used for hauling stuff and mountain biking. 

I was looking to kind if find a "to do everything" vehicle and so far it's fit the bill. Only thing I didn't not really consider was that when you condense everying you normally do into one vehicle? That's a lot of miles. 

My daily driver. 60 miles R/T to work (Tues-Fri). During the summer season, May-October, I drive from Central MA to my place on outer Cape Cod at least once a week at 270 miles R/T. 10.5 months I have 15,800 miles!  I'd say 95% highway miles.They add up quick!

I drive a truck because I think every home owner needs one! LOL! Once i switched to a truck almost 20 years ago I never looked back!

Edited by Loco-diablo

20 hours ago, Doublebase said:

I've got to say I'm a little surprised at all the people using these things for daily commuting, some pretty long commutes, I thought I was goi to regret buying a truck for a long commute but so far it's been great. Been getting great gas mileage, it's comfortable...I'm hoping it's reliable...and I've been able to sell my clunker truck that I used for hauling stuff and mountain biking. 

I was looking to kind if find a "to do everything" vehicle and so far it's fit the bill. Only thing I didn't not really consider was that when you condense everying you normally do into one vehicle? That's a lot of miles. 

I used to have a little commuter car. It FINALLY wore out, so I "consolidated" to a 1500 CC and now use it for my "do everything" vehicle. Much better ride and I rather sit up higher anyway. It gets me from A----B and can handle any house project that I want to do

If your truck is not fun to drive... perhaps you bought the wrong truck.  There is nothing fun to me about a giant 4 door Duramax. I would rather buy a Mac truck. That doesn't mean all trucks are not fun to drive. Thankfully GM makes lots of different options. 

On 5/1/2018 at 10:53 AM, amxguy1970 said:

Huh? You will need to explain the "fun" part more because driving a truck sucks; except for the room and seating position they are about as far from "fun" as a minivan.

A RCSB is a lot of fun. Will spin the tires at will. Fits in parking lots corners very well if dropped a little. They are light weight and power full. I have no clue why people all buy the 4 door tanks.  If your not into street performance lift the truck add some mud terrain tires and hit the trails. There is nothing comparable between a minivan and a real truck.  

Edited by frenchsquared
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

A $30,000 workbench ...  that occasionally hauls stuff.

Before that, it was a commuter. Put 40k miles on the first 2 years I owned it. These days, I've put 53k miles on it in 9 years, including a trip to CA, and 2 trips back and forth to FL with the trailer in tow. Number would've been alot lower had it not been for those 3 road trips.

As an auto tech, I prefer a V8 RWD or 4x4 layout over most cars - they've just proven to be more reliable, and MUCH easier to work on.

IMG_6539.thumb.jpg.348515e3c09e2b6d0e79dd66740cbc23.jpg

post-65085-0-63839800-1452574494_thumb.jpg

post-65085-0-06713800-1449763476_thumb.jpg

post-65085-0-70780100-1447186894_thumb.jpg

post-65085-0-91273200-1441471565_thumb.jpg

post-65085-0-86120000-1437011739_thumb.jpg

post-65085-0-89674700-1427034569_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jsdirt

I daily drive a Ford Ranger, my Chevy only comes out when I need to pull the skid loader, boat, camper, go to church, or date nights. (assuming it's not raining or snowing) It lives a pampered life inside the shop.

I've had it almost 2 years and just rolled 15k.

ben kubota.jpg

• Like 1

I have 4 HD series for my business, soon to add a 5th. Contracting. They are tow pigs and jobsite mules. I have my 2014 1/2 ton for running around and beating up on the bush roads. And my 2015 Sierra is my clean vehicle I use in the summers for personal use, a Canadian Corvette if you will. 

IMG_0262.JPG

IMG_0378.JPG

IMG_0872.JPG

IMG_0916.JPG

Edited by 10SierraA.T.

On 4/30/2018 at 8:07 PM, i82much said:

i bought a 3/4 ton as a daily, under the theory that i can gain 2500 lbs and still won’t need a new truck.

Now THAT made me really laugh out loud...

• Haha 1

Daily driver.   Easier to get into/out of.   I have hybrid sedans at my work as pool cars and I prefer a truck.   I have a tonneau cover and two kids that don’t live in my hometown.  Frequently hauling crap to them.   We do the home stuff and my only tow these days is a utility trailer for the zero turn.   (Used to have a 24’ center console, tandem axle trailer, but alas...)

I am also a long time high school baseball & fast pitch official.  The days of throwing sweaty equipment into the back of an SUV are forever over.

And the thing has all the creature comforts I want when traveling.  Including comfort.   And mass, God forbid...

Edited by Boardmember