Hey everyone,

I have a 2014 Sierra with the 5.3L,  I really don't like posting on the forums for issues because it can give a bad representation of what is generally a good vehicle.  My truck never really exhibited any of the usual issues like the vibration but it has had a couple small fixes here and there. Moving seat, rusting frame, etc.  this time I just wanted to give everyone the heads up.

Well a couple months ago I was driving and the oil pump failed.  It took 2 weeks to fix. When it happened I was pretty concerned about any possible damage it caused but the dealer said it looked ok.

Fast forward to last week.  Merging onto the highway, heard a pop and lights came on everywhere.  Got it to the dealer, lifters collapsed on a cylinder.  I was without my truck all last week as they fixed that issue.  

This sunday, less than 60 miles after I picked it up, I went to accelerate in town and heard the same pop but this time it wouldn't even move if I gave it throttle.  Towed it down to the dealer and they finally looked at it yesterday.  This time they are ordering me a brand new engine.

Thankfully I still have powertrain warranty but this is a major disappointment and honestly I don't even trust the truck anymore.  What would your recommendations be?  Sell it, trade it, keep it and run it into the ground? 

They are replacing the whole engine so I would think you should be in the clear for a while. Will this problem happen again? Who knows. Could the oil pump have cause the issue with the lifters? Quite possibly. Could the lifters have failed due to the AFM? Perhaps. In the end you have a brand new engine so anything on the previous engine will not cause any issues with the new engine. It's up to you whether to keep it or not. 

Sorry to hear all the issues.  Things happen.  Who knows how often this has happened to others and not just in GM vehicles but don't get mentioned online because not everyone is on a forum. Although the number is growing, seems there is a forum for just about anything now.

If it was me I would press on with the new engine. 

Edited by Black02Silverado
spelling

Run it! I'd be good with a new engine. Though it would be understandable if you got bit come shopping next time to be a bit hesitant lol

all makes have these issues here and there though. Now if i logon here one day and there are hundreds of them like the AC condenser failures...

i'd probably be putting the forsale sign up =) 

Dealers have constraints from GM.  If they don't get an approval from GM, they could end up eating the cost.

I'd keep the truck if you like it.  The next engine has as much chance to make it to 300,000 miles or all the way to a life of hauling a load of lawnmowers as a new truck.

5 minutes ago, reelbusy said:

Run it! I'd be good with a new engine. Though it would be understandable if you got bit come shopping next time to be a bit hesitant lol

all makes have these issues here and there though. Now if i logon here one day and there are hundreds of them like the AC condenser failures...

i'd probably be putting the forsale sign up =) 

LOL, I think it may have been dozens. 

Ask if you can pay for a portion of the repair, maybe $50 maybe $100. That would qualify the engine for the 3yr/100,000 mile warranty that would come with the engine if you paid for the motor completely out of pocket.  The engine as of now will be warrantied till the end of the powertrain warranty of the truck.

if you feel uneasy about it, get rid of it as long as it doesn't leave you in the hole.  No sense in driving something that you no longer trust or feel good in.