2019 Denali- rants and a few raves- comments please!

medic856

I now have about 1 k miles on my 19 SD pickup. Some things that I’m not happy with- I know some are nit picky. 

I hate the auto start/stop. And I’m sick of hitting the button every time. Anyone have a work around yet? A fuse pull or something simple? If I wanted gas mileage I’d have bought something else. 

The radio- why is the color different for the artist and song? The station shows up white, but the artist and song color is so close to the lousy boring background color that it’s hard to see. 

For some reason, my iPhone 8 lowers its own volume every time I get in the truck. Weird. 

Why doesn’t the HUD display the radio station when switching? My car does. Am I missing something? 

Not a big fan of the dash gauges. My 17 was much nicer. 

Overall I like the truck. Gas mileage is not as good as my last one however. We will see if that improves. 

Any responses will be appreciated!

Tell us more about the auto start/stop ...and why you dislike?  Is there a bad delay?  I know some older auto start systems are bad (my wife's car for example) but most the comments I have seen regarding the new 2019 GM trucks indicate the system works great.

And yes, I'm sure aftermarket tuners will have a way to turn it off soon.. just like they did for AFM. 

42 minutes ago, medic856 said:

I now have about 1 k miles on my 19 SD pickup. Some things that I’m not happy with- I know some are nit picky. 

I hate the auto start/stop. And I’m sick of hitting the button every time. Anyone have a work around yet? A fuse pull or something simple? If I wanted gas mileage I’d have bought something else. 

The radio- why is the color different for the artist and song? The station shows up white, but the artist and song color is so close to the lousy boring background color that it’s hard to see. 

For some reason, my iPhone 8 lowers its own volume every time I get in the truck. Weird. 

Why doesn’t the HUD display the radio station when switching? My car does. Am I missing something? 

Overall I like the truck. Gas mileage is not as good as my last one however. We will see if that improves. 

I assume "SD" means Sierra Denali?

Maybe Digital_Assasin can chime in on the HUD display question.

He has a High Country which should be HUD equipped.

New gen start/stop in my '18 Traverse and '18 Malibu uses a the new DC-DC inverter instead of a two battery system, a split solenoid that actually syncs and engages the flywheel a 4 mph and below and the HD starter motor engages the back half of the solenoid for a start.......ECU fires the plug and fuel injector for the next cylinder on compression cycle for an immediate start.......engine doesn't even crank, just feel a slight bump (sometimes can't even feel the re-start). Hated the old 2 battery system on the '16 Malibu, but the newer systems are more refined and rarely defeat it.

Enabling Criteria

The following vehicle conditions must be met for an Auto Stop event to take place.

• Initial minimum vehicle speed during the drive cycle must reach 12 MPH (19 km/h). Subsequent minimum speed may vary from 1-6 MPH (2-10 km/h), depending on the vehicle.
  • In a vehicle with a manual transmission, the transmission must be in Neutral and the clutch pedal fully released.
  • Ambient and engine coolant temperature correlation must meet specified values.
  • Ambient and transmission fluid temperature correlation must meet specified values.
  • Hood switch status is closed.
  • Brake pedal is depressed beyond a specific value (approximately 27%).
  • Accelerator pedal is in the learned home position.
  • Brake booster vacuum is greater than 45 kPa (7 PSI).
  • Transmission gear selector is in the Drive position.
  • Vehicle speed is less than 3 MPH (5 km/h).
  • Engine speed is below 1500 RPM.
  • Engine coolant temperature is less than 248°F (120°C).
  • No A/C compressor request from the HVAC system (A/C or Defrost modes).
  • Battery voltage greater than 12 V.
  • Battery state of charge in the ECM is greater than 75% (changes with state of health).

The following conditions will enable an engine restart.

• Transmission gear selector is moved from the Drive position.
  • In a vehicle with a manual transmission, the driver depresses the clutch pedal.
  • Driver removes pressure from the brake or depresses the accelerator pedal while the vehicle is in the Drive.
  • Brake booster vacuum is less than 40 kPa (6 PSI).
  • A/C compressor request from HVAC (A/C or Defrost modes).
  • Battery voltage less than 11 V.
  • Battery state of charge is less than 73% (changes with state of health).
  • Hood switch status changes to open.
  • Auto Stop time exceeds 2 minutes.

No formal defeat button on the Traverse or Malibu, but easy to override for a drive cycle. Shift to "L", my Silvy uses "M"and the "+" button for max gear "L9" or "L6" depending on the tranny and start stop is defeated for the entire cycle.

https://sandyblogs.com/techlink/?p=8493

https://sandyblogs.com/techlink/?p=8495

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1109687_dont-start-stop-systems-wear-out-your-cars-starter

No aftermarket tuners likely because the system is insidious and not fully controlled by the ECU, i.e. certain aspects controlled by feedback from mechanical servos.......a real gem of engineering.

Some have come out with a passive defeat system, but I'm not about to splice into factory wiring and it buggers the remote start system. Besides I wouldn't permanently defeat it anyway, even the one button defeat cycles the system on first startup. System uses electric motors to circulate coolant during the stop cycle but more importantly (at least in my two FWD/AWD transverse engine trannys) uses a pressure accumulator to provide instant band engagement during the stop cycle when the tranny's hydraulic pump is stopped.....seems to reason it needs to be flexed every so often to maintain anti seize and piston seal integrity......and keeping the spring driven piston in a static position for months or years will have unknown results.

1 hour ago, medic856 said:

Two ways to disable.  Obvious one is the button.  The other is manual mode, aka "L".  You can shift to "L" and set the gear counter all the way to "10" and you will get D minus stop/start. 

HUD.  Did you try going through the HUD pages?  The HUD control button labeled "INFO" changes what the display shows. 

Depending on how the vehicle is equipped, the HUD may display some of the following vehicle information and vehicle messages or alerts:

• Speed
  • Audio
  • Phone
  • Navigation
  • Driver Assistance Features
  • Vehicle Messages

•  

EDIT.  Just went out to our High Country at work.  Had everything but radio.  WTF? 

Edited by newdude

There is an occasional lag when starting. That is when I remember to turn the damn switch off. It is noticible. The HUD thing will hopefully be fixed with a software upgrade? What’s the best way to request that feature be added? The menu does not allow for that feature that I can find. The radio display color is also annoying. I know, picky. ?

Edited by medic856

On 9/17/2018 at 3:20 PM, medic856 said:

There is an occasional lag when starting. That is when I remember to turn the damn switch off. It is noticible. The HUD thing will hopefully be fixed with a software upgrade? What’s the best way to request that feature be added? The menu does not allow for that feature that I can find. The radio display color is also annoying. I know, picky. ?

For software upgrades GM requires you to buy next years model.