Gorehamj

2019 Silverado 2500 HD Tribute Edition - Thumbs Up Or Down To Flag Wrap?

Silverado 2019 HD tribute edition.png

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
11-8-2018

We say two thumbs up. The Silverado 2500 HD has four Special Editions. There are the Tribute, Alaskan, Custom Sport, and Midnight Edition. The Tribute is an LTZ/Z71 with a black bowtie, chrome front skid plate and an American flag logo stretching from the "splash-up" area behind the front tire to the rear taillights. The flag is rendered in one color and is offset by the vehicle body colors. We think the blue looks particularly good with the white flag decal overlaid. Chevy has given the flag an "aero" look. 

We like the look and this reporter gives the look two thumbs up. What say you, GM-Trucks.com faithful? 

• Like 1

Looks good, I like the blue.  All these "special" thingies just annoy me seeing as I still can't build a truck the way I want it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Chevyguy85 said:

Looks good, I like the blue.  All these "special" thingies just annoy me seeing as I still can't build a truck the way I want it.

Agree on both counts.  Wish I could get a new Chevy truck with 6.2L engine and the MagnetorWhatChaMaCallit suspension in a 1500 LTZ Z71.  I just don't need a 2500HD.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BobHancock said:

Agree on both counts.  Wish I could get a new Chevy truck with 6.2L engine and the MagnetorWhatChaMaCallit suspension in a 1500 LTZ Z71.  I just don't need a 2500HD.

Yeah I'm becoming a broken record on the topic but it still aggravates me.  It's not just GM either they all do it.  The whole buy 10 things just to get the 1 thing you want and end up with 9 things you have zero desire or use for.  Stupid packages and bundles.  Why can't I be an odd ball that gets leather bucket seats, full console, no crap bose audio, no lane/crash/whatever nannies, and plastic flooring instead of carpet lol

I like our country but not to drape the flag over my truck. It's just not me, too pretentious. 

• Like 1

Where's the red? Looks like the American flag on the nightly sign off on WROC-TV on a black and white tv. 

Back in the late 70s I wanted a new vehicle so I talked to one of the salesmen at the Chrysler dealer where I worked. Some of the oddities, on a 78 B100 van, if you wanted a passenger seat, it required a glove box door and a base for the seat. On a 78 Volare 2 door coupe, to get the E58 police 360, it require power steering. Automatic plus a bucket load small individual items, each one having its own list of sub options.  I think that was why most salesmen simply said you couldn't get that engine in a Volare. And, if you wanted the AM/FM Cassette radio, you had to also order power brakes. Sunroof also required power brakes. 

• Sad 1

I agree ,, the package is OK , I'm like you I want a 6.2 with my trim ,.not all the crap you have to have for GMs option packages,  let me choose,  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well mixed on the flag,; i do like it,  as color is critical, to make it "Pop". But i do agree with what others have stated above me. Why can't you order it Alacart? pieces and parts as you see it? Not someone else's, cookie cutter, vanilla wrapper what ever . . . How about a GREEN Truck? Imagine that? :D Truck owners are Outdoormens, but you cannot get a Green Truck? how can you be camo? Why is GREEN Not on the paint Chart? you can get Brown, mud color, or Dessert Brown, But What About the South? Truck Country! Lush Green Mountains, Valleys and Streams, But No camo colored trucks available? What's up with the Mini Me back doors too? That's a total waste of Production line time! i understand on "Packages" is based on production line time. But Why were Mini Me Doors introduced, to save fractions on metal? & Glass? When it is Four Doors, make it a Man's Truck! On production, we have computers now, dial it in, set up the majority items, then let the separate items "Skip / idle" by as accessories are installed or Not installed. 

38 minutes ago, CUL8TR said:

Well mixed on the flag,; i do like it,  as color is critical, to make it "Pop". But i do agree with what others have stated above me. Why can't you order it Alacart? pieces and parts as you see it? Not someone else's, cookie cutter, vanilla wrapper what ever . . . How about a GREEN Truck? Imagine that? :D Truck owners are Outdoormens, but you cannot get a Green Truck? how can you be camo? Why is GREEN Not on the paint Chart? you can get Brown, mud color, or Dessert Brown, But What About the South? Truck Country! Lush Green Mountains, Valleys and Streams, But No camo colored trucks available? What's up with the Mini Me back doors too? That's a total waste of Production line time! i understand on "Packages" is based on production line time. But Why were Mini Me Doors introduced, to save fractions on metal? & Glass? When it is Four Doors, make it a Man's Truck! On production, we have computers now, dial it in, set up the majority items, then let the separate items "Skip / idle" by as accessories are installed or Not installed. 

When I bought my 87 Mustang 5.0l LX hatch back, to install fog or driving lights, all I needed was the $19 factory GT fog light switch that plugged right into the space for it in the instrument cluster, where the wiring harness was sitting just waiting for the switch.  Under the front bumper there was a hole for the factory lights to go into, plus the wires with factory plug that was the mate to the plug on the factory lights.  Ford even had it completely pre-wired for fog lights, just plug the switch and the lights in. 

I can recall buying used a 67 California special Mustang. It had a big block, factory roll bar, 4speed and an open rear end. Ford was big for not pairing the right options. Now they all go too far the other way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like, but i got the 19 1/2 ton high country 6.2 with the 10 speed tranny, just love it, 24 mpg on the highway going 70mph and pulls my 29 Foot boat like a dream, no need for a 3/4 ton in my garage.

just checked the GM media site, can't find anything on it.

Would like to see it in Red...........

I got it,,the blue collar package,  1/2 ton crew cab ,6.2 and ten speed, tow mirrors,  brake controller,  nice wheels, with or without body colored bumpers and grill ,heated cloth seats  under seat storage, and what ever seat you perfer, make all the other stuff GM wants you to have an option,  and keep it under 45 grand, RP0 code 4Me

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Adramer
      Currently in the process of trouble shooting a p0304 code. Ruled out a bad coil pack by hooking an ohm meter to it and also swapping cylinder 2 & 4 to see if the the Mis fire would follow. Replaced spark plugs, plug wires, and put a can of sea-foam in the intake. Not hearing any abnormal sounds coming from the engine while running. Just a steady misfire on 4. I’m thinking it is a bad injector. Anyone else experience something similar, and to also see if anyone yet has tackled changing the injectors on the new models. Thank you 
    • By ryanm33
      Last night I found my passenger side carpet saturated with water in my 2015 Silverado 1500. I lifted the carpet up and found the underlay soaked and a pool of water in the floor pan. After searching the internet I found this is a common problem with many potential sources. The shark fin antenna, leaking seams behind the front fender, through the firewall, and from under the cowl by the windshield wipers. I don’t think mine is coming from the radio antenna or from behind the fender as it is running straight down the firewall from behind the glove compartments. It is raining steady here today and my truck has not moved and it is a steady stream running from behind the glove box. Does anyone have pictures or a better description of where I should be looking on the firewall or under the wiper cowl?
    • By green.joel2
      Hello all,

This is my first post on this forum.  Last year I bought a 2009 Chevy Silverado 1500 Ext cab LT with a 5.3l V8 that is Flexfuel capable.  Well, I never intended to use flex fuel, but last week, I did so on the spur of the moment.  We drove about 3/4 of the tank gone.  Then as I was pulling up to the gas station to refill before going out of town for work, my truck's idle began dropping and feeling like it is about to stall out at idle.  This happens whether park is engaged or not.  I filled up, put some seafoam in my tank and drove about 1.5 hours to work.  It continued to idle like this all throughout the trip and even later when I went out and sat at idle while on my break.  What could be the problem? I can't imagine that an engine that is meant for flex fuel could get that messed up by it.  A side note: we had the transmission rebuilt in January, just in case that makes a different.  It has only been a few weeks since last oil change.  All fluids were checked and filled up at that time and have been checked a couple of times since.
    • By Vindicta_Mihi
      Just wanted to post on here, as I have seen no less than a thousand posts with questions about the 6L80E, specifically about the power threshold of a stock unit. I have a 2014 GMC Sierra SLT Crew Cab Standard Bed stock 3.42 gears stock drive shaft stock 20" rims/tires 6.2L fully forged top/bottom end "Armageddon Twin Nagasaki's" (GT3582R's) e-boost 2 gauge Z06/LT4 fuel system 365lph in-tank Armageddon fuel pump QTP exhaust cut-outs and laid down 965rwhp/850 rwtq on a mustang dyno with 18psi on 116 race fuel (cut-outs open). I say all of this because the stock transmission detonated the 4-5-6 shaft (intermediate hub) near the splines. I took it to a "race shop" that said they would upgrade as much as they could; and was told at the time, there were limited aftermarket parts available for the 6L80E. This was mid 2018 with less than 10K miles on the truck and about 500 miles on the engine/turbo build and I discovered that was not entirely true. I drove the truck after their work,  with "spirited road driving" while the roads were wet no less. Long story short; they f'd me and I detonated the 4-5-6 stock intermediate shaft again within 100 miles and no traction at all. They apparently replaced all parts that were broken with stock parts! Moving on, I took my truck to a different shop and researched my a** off and found PATC Transmissions. I had a warm and fuzzy after speaking with them and ordered the Phoenix Level 4 Master Rebuild kit among a few other minor accoutrements and re-tuning of my TCM by Mike from Century Automotive. It is now APR 2019 and I am about 1 1/2 weeks away from having the my billet planetary gear mailed to me; for the new, more reputable shop in my area to install all of this PATC bada**ery. If anyone is truly interested, I will post new info once I put the new Phoenix Master Rebuild kit through the ringer with the full weight/horsepower/torque of my particular application...I hope this helps if there are some lost souls out there that may be headed down the same long. hard. road. of a "full send" like myself! Please post if you have questions/comments/concerns; as I have "been there done that and forgot the t-shirt" with the L86/6L80E so far. 

• By econometrics
      I've owned my 2019 RST Z71 crew for about a month now. In as much time, I've started to get a firm feel for what I like and do not like about the truck. I thought I would share my thoughts here... but take them for what they're worth! 

A little background... 

I drive a whopping 8,000-10,000 miles per year, due to my job having me out of town a lot. 70% of my driving is city driving, and my daily commute is about a 14 mile round trip on suburban 45mph roads with stoplights.  I upgraded to the 2019 RST from a 2007 LT2 Texas Edition Silverado Crew RWD, which I put about 110K miles on after buying it used in 2009.  I researched a new truck for about 3-4 months. I looked heavily at the F-150, as well as certified and new 2017/2018 Silverados and Sierras. I've driven Chevys since 2001, but I really consider myself brand agnostic, looking for the best product on the market for my needs at the best price.  My budget was pretty flexible, but I wanted something $45K or less.   
      After visiting a good friend of mine, who owns a Chevy dealership in West TX, I realized I did not want a K2 Silverado. This reduced my decision to a 2019 Silverado or a 2018/2019 F-150. Ultimately, I felt the better value was in the 2019 Silverado, and I ended up liking the truck more than what I was finding in the F-150.

I went with the RST, as I'm very over the chrome look. I think the monochrome appearance looks way more "modern", and I just generally liked it more. I didn't need a 2" lift and aggressive tires, so I passed on a Trail Boss. I do, however, LOVE the black front ends and wheels on them. 

My RST MRSP was $53,800. I got All Star + Convenience II, Z71 packages, etc. A similarly optioned 2019 F-150 was around $61K. Sheesh. I paid $43,660 for it + TTL, etc. The only other option I could have added was Safety I. Because there were only 3 Satin Steel RSTs with the options I wanted within 500 miles of me, I sacrificed Safety I... but I don't really miss it. I like having the corner blind spot mirrors vs. the blind spot indicators, etc. 

First, let me start with some of the things I do not like... 

Trim options missing. I realize that there are 3 trims higher than the RST (Trail Boss, LTZ and High Country), but I really wish GM gave some more interior features for the RST and TB. For those not wanting to have all the chrome on the truck, we have to sacrifice features that were on the monochrome LTZ Z71 in 2018 - seat memory, ventilated seats, electronic rear child locks, particularly. Beyond this, I think for an MSRP of $54K, we should also get a digital dash center like the available tech package offers on the LTZ & HC. Why not just make that an option for another $$$? I would have bought it.  No gas/brake pedal adjustment. To be honest, I never really found this feature all that great in GM rentals I've driven. However, the new Silverado pedals seem to be positioned a little too far forward. Combine this with the fact that the telescoping steering wheel does not, IMO, telescope towards the driver enough... and I just haven't felt like I have a comfortable driving position with the 10-way power seat. I'm 5'11", so not short or tall. I've finally adjusted and found a position that works, but my 2007 seemed to have a better, natural position for my arms, elbows, feet, etc.  No power passenger seat. For $54K, c'mon, GM.  No built-in nav. I use Apple Car Play, but it costs me an extra $600 to have the nav installed on my RST? That's lame. It's 2019, GM. I really only want this for the speed limit indicator in the driver info center (DIC) in the dash, ha.  Badge placement. Why did they put the Z71 badge on the upper front fender? Weird. Put it as a sticker on the top rear fender, like it has always been.  No color-matched mirror covers. Mine are glossy black... which look okay with my Satin Steel Metallic paint job, but why not just color match them to the body?  Lacking LED lights. I don't get why you put LEDs in every other place on the truck lighting besides the turn signals and the back up lights. That's just weird.  Dashboard. This befuddles me. It looks cheaper and more basic (besides the DIC) than previous models. I realize most of us just look at the digital MPH on the DIC now, but it just looks cheap.  Power down windows. Why only for the driver, and not the others? Bed / Cargo LED lights. Why no switch in the bed to turn these on?  Mid-vehicle signal. With a truck this big, I don't get my GM did not put a turn signal indicator somewhere on the middle of the vehicle. I get nervous changing lanes on the 6-wide stretches of interstate going 75mph in DFW. This would have helped a lot.  Plastic-y interior. Though I do like the feel of the interior overall, now that my truck has started to collect some dust / dirt in the interior, I'm noticing the cheap-looking plastic mold feel of some of the elements in the interior. I appreciate the wood finishes in places, but that hard plastic feel around the console, on the doors, etc. just does not feel like $54K to me. It does not really feel "cheap", but just not as plush as I would have hoped for. I still think it feels better than the F-150 interiors I've been in, with all the knobs, buttons and different plastic components the Fords tend to have.  Fuel capacity. I don't get why GM did not create a bigger fuel tank on this new model. 24 gallons, seriously? My 2007 had 26 gal, and even my wife's minivan has 21! Fail.  Interior color options. Two options, seriously?  Antenna. Again... $54K truck and we still have a 3 foot whip antenna? It was the first thing I got rid of, less than 10 min after I got home from the dealer. So ugly.   
      Things I like... 

Design. I know this is polarizing, but I think it looks amazing. In 1-2 years, after Ford refreshes, I guarantee this truck will look like the forerunner in style, and not the oddity. The body lines, the grill, everything looks fantastic, IMO. I like the Silverado much better than the Sierra, too. The grill space on the GMC is just too massive and hollow-looking to me.  LED lights. The DRLs, LED tail lights, and the LED headlights are fantastic.  Interior updates. GM finally made a rear seat with good legroom, and comfortable seating position. Adding the rear air vents is honestly what sold me on getting a 2019 vs. a 2018. About time. I love the spaciousness of the cab, and though many people feel the center stack and overall interior feels "cheap", I feel otherwise. I think the buttons are all well placed, and I love that GM is still doing manual HVAC knobs.  No center console shifter. At first, when I was looking at the F-150s, I thought this was an upgrade vs. a column shifter. Then I sat in one. I like GM's way better. The new one feels fantastic, too. I like that I have the entire lower console available, and that I do not have to reach over the shifter in order to get my coffee.  Centering of steering wheel. GM finally got this right. All those years of the steering position being off-set slightly. They finally corrected that. It's much more comfortable to drive now.  Steering wheel controls. I'm glad GM went back to hard plastic buttons for these, vs. the soft push-buttons on the K2 models. The covers on those buttons always seemed worn out quickly on my friends' K2 trucks. I like the more durable, actionable feel of the plastic.  Infotainment Screen. I know a lot of people wish it were larger. I am not disappointed with the size. The screen is very crisp, and super responsive. Bluetooth engagement is very fast with my phone, and I like the display options on it.  Better wheels again. I'm so glad GM went back to real aluminum wheels, and not the chrome-clad stuff on the previous generation trucks. My 20" 2007 aluminum wheels looked great, and I think these new aluminum wheels are the best ones GM has made in a long time.  Rear tailgate. I love the electronic button and remote unlock /drop from the key fab. The lightness of the tailgate is also amazing. The bigger step footwells in the bumper are a great improvement, too. Cargo bed. Wow, this thing is legit. I cannot believe how big it is. I'm glad it's steel still, too. The increased tie-down options is a huge plus.  Rear seat storage. I LOVE the storage compartments in the seat backs. Fantastic use of space.  Powertrain. I never wanted the TT 3.5L Ecoboost. I think it sounds terrible at the exhaust, and I don't want to tow 12,000# with a half ton up an 8% grade. I love the growl of my 5.3L V8, especially when I hammer on the gas. The new 8 Speed transmission took some getting used to (coming from my 4spd+OD 2007), but I've found that if you really drive the thing, it responds terrifically. Very smooth, and the acceleration from 30-50mph is impressive. Like... put you back into your seat fast. It is a lot of fun.  MPG. I've been averaging nearly 18mpg with my very in-town driving. This is WAY better than the 13/14 I was getting with my AFM 2007. The only time I've really done HWY driving was when I brought the truck home 200 miles from the dealer. I did 75mph avg (going 80mph the first hour), and got nearly 22mpg. Wow.  Capless fuel. Love this.  Ride quality. Wow, this truck is unbelievably quiet. It's still a truck, so it doesn't ride like a cloud, but it's very smooth on the HWY. The handling is very crisp, and I always feel like the truck is poised when moving around at high speeds. Never loose or rolling too much on body center.  Mirrors. I know some are puzzled by the placement of the mirrors on the door itself, but I find the FOV excellent with these. They are big, but not too big. And I really love the blind spot mirror in the corner of the driver's side mirror. Just not sure why they didn't put one on the passenger mirror, too.  Badging. Besides the aforementioned confusion about why GM put the Z71 badge on the front upper fenders, I really like how clean and empty the truck is of obnoxious brand badging. I really love the throwback "CHEVROLET" stamped into the rear tailgate, too.  Keyless Start/Stop/Entry. LOVE this. Leaving the fob in my pocket and pushing the really great buttons on the handle to unlock is excellent. GM did a great job with this. So far, the fob has worked flawlessly for me.  Option button placement. I really like the row of option buttons below the center stack. It's easy to reach them when resting my arm on the console, and very easy to see. Cleanly designed, too. I also like the new trailer brake placement, as well as the placement of the 4X4 selector/lights, etc. buttons on the left.  Dual exhaust tips. I personally think these look really good integrated into the bumper. Because they are, I don't have to worry about a lower rear clearance, backing into something that would rip the exhaust off. Plus, the engine tune coming out of these babies is awesome. It's fun to turn on the rear camera sitting at a stop light on a cold morning and watch the exhaust roll out of the dual tips.  Bose sound. I know the sound gurus out there have issues with Bose, but this is a huge improvement over the standard GM stereo system.  Bed outlet. Actually, the whole charging package on this truck is fantastic. USB and USB-C in the front console, center stack, and rear seat is excellent. Then having a full plug in the front console and rear bed is really nice.  Value. GM owners know our trucks hold their value really well. At just under $44K, I know this truck is going to hold its value for a long time, especially since it's a T1 model. A similarly optioned 2019 F-150 was around $61K. That's just crazy. Even though I have a beef with GM for not putting certain features in the truck at this trim / option level, I think the value is very good compared to Ford.  Rear headrests. I love these. Finally comfortable, and easy to move down and out of the way. The center drink holder / arm rest is also very nice.  Rocker panel paint. I like how GM did this, with the "roughed-up" paint job so it is more durable to chips, etc.   

There are probably other things that will come to my mind. If so, I will add them to this. 

Here's a pic of my truck attached. 

Hope this review is helpful to any prospective buyers! I'm no truck reviewing pro, nor am I a gearhead. But I've always loved owning trucks, and this new Silverado makes me feel proud when I drive down the road. I get a lot of head turns, and it's fun to own such a capable, enjoyable vehicle!