Turbo 6.2 almost done!!

On 5/23/2019 at 7:53 PM, INTJ said:

While any of the Allison’s could be built to handle whatever torque a gas engine can generate, I think the 2011 and up Allison’s—starting with the LML, came from the factory able to handle 1000 ft lbs.  I ran a 500 RWHP/900ish ft lb on my stock 2011 Duramax and had zero issues.  GM used to use the Allison on the 8.1 gas engines as well, but one of those might have to be beefed. IIRC the Allison’s became six speed with the LBZ in late 2006.

The downside may be that early Allison’s took 60 HP.  The Allison’s in the LML only took 40 HP, but I don’t know how that compares to a 6L80E.

How does one run a trans that was offered in a diesel and a older big block mate up to a new for 2014 small block?

are we just picking transmissions out of a hat that are strong or do you guys know something I don’t?

I am not sure.  The Allison was offered with the 8.1 for a while and GM has always been pretty good about compatibility.  The Allison may indeed require adapting to fit a 6.2, but it looks like to me the OP is willing to do whatever it takes to get his truck setup properly so I didn’t think he would be deterred by having to adapt an Allison, that is IF the Allison is the right choice for his application.

I personally like the idea of a beefed 8 speed, though I’d happily run a beefed 6 speed if it is more reliable.  I am not sure how reliable the 8 speed has been in the Z06s.

11 hours ago, INTJ said:

I am not sure.  The Allison was offered with the 8.1 for a while and GM has always been pretty good about compatibility.  The Allison may indeed require adapting to fit a 6.2, but it looks like to me the OP is willing to do whatever it takes to get his truck setup properly so I didn’t think he would be deterred by having to adapt an Allison, that is IF the Allison is the right choice for his application.

I personally like the idea of a beefed 8 speed, though I’d happily run a beefed 6 speed if it is more reliable.  I am not sure how reliable the 8 speed has been in the Z06s.

There's a reason GM puts an Allison behind the Duramax's.  They are beast.

1 hour ago, lapoolboy said:

There's a reason GM puts an Allison behind the Duramax's.  They are beast.

We quickly found the limits of the first generation Allison’s when we started putting 1000 ft lbs if torque through them and tearing them up.  Suncoast then make a kit that fixed that, and GM beefed up later versions.  The downside to the Alli for the OPs application is that it is a big and heavy transmission that takes 40-60 HP to run.  

• Like 1

Awesome project!

Disable Traction Control/Stabiltrak to keep the computer from slipping the snot out of the 6L80 and grenading it.

Turn on those features during inclement weather when you don’t go heavy on throttle.

6L80’s weakness is the computer running it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/31/2019 at 4:26 AM, Paintor said:

Awesome project!

Disable Traction Control/Stabiltrak to keep the computer from slipping the snot out of the 6L80 and grenading it.

Turn on those features during inclement weather when you don’t go heavy on throttle.

6L80’s weakness is the computer running it.

I have a great tuner who’s going to change the logic. I’ll need it lol. 

Agree with those who support the 6L80. Local speed shop owner ran over 550rwhp with a good TCM tune for many miles on a 2010 version in his tahoe. Not until he went to over 600rwhp did anything break and that was a gear in the diff. I would say your hp goal makes it untenable in stock form. But for most - tune and press on.