3 hours ago, BlackLS said:

Dont know about the valve but covering the screens does make a difference. I covered mine with aluminum duct tape, it worked great until I installed my cat back system.

That's what I thought about doing until I get the time to get the pipe replaced.  It didn't get hot enough to melt the tape?

18 minutes ago, That1Silverado said:

That's what I thought about doing until I get the time to get the pipe replaced.  It didn't get hot enough to melt the tape?

You need to use metal duct tape. You can get it at Home Depot.

57 minutes ago, That1Silverado said:

No, he did not cut it out, he told me he doesn't cut them out anymore.

I haven't really looked at it to well, what would be best to use to set the valve opened?

I see how they would leave it in, I suppose. It does help some with the noise when the 5.3L goes to V4. But it’s not as bad as the AFM engines. 

Read this thread about setting the flapper open. Very easy. 

16 hours ago, econometrics said:

I see how they would leave it in, I suppose. It does help some with the noise when the 5.3L goes to V4. But it’s not as bad as the AFM engines. 

Read this thread about setting the flapper open. Very easy. 

The flapper was noticeably louder than just the screens. I may have video of each. But on startup with the flapper pinned open( combined with screens covered) it had quite a growl.

I covered my screens with aluminum fascia, cut to fit, and SS clamps. I didn't use that cheap ductwork tape as it wouldn't last. The tape is aluminum as well, but it is very slight.

• Like 2

To get any real sound out of these trucks you need a race muffler with the rear mesh screens blocked off.  I did a muffler swap with the Carven TR series and it made no difference in the cab until I blocked those screens off.  And even at that it's very mild, not much of a fun factor.  I'll be trying the Carven R series next or super 10 series.

1 hour ago, The Tos said:

Does anyone know the pipe sizing for the in and out of the muffler?

I measured my pipe 5.3L single exit its 3 1/4” so I got a 3 inch muffler also if you look at the factory performance tip for they’re 3”.

No more venom 300 for me ended up ordering a magnaflow after my order sat unanswered for 5 days with black widow exhaust I ended up cancelling it. Ended up going with the magnaflow 12259 Be in today hopefully installed tomorrow or Friday depending on when they can get it done

https://www.magnaflow.com/products/12259-performance-muffler-magnaflow-5-x-8-oval-centeroffset-straight-through-performance-muffler#

17 minutes ago, greco2003 said:

I measured my pipe 5.3L single exit its 3 1/4” so I got a 3 inch muffler also if you look at the factory performance tip for they’re 3”.

Did you just swap out your muffler? That is what I am looking to do. Which muffler did you go with?

49 minutes ago, The Tos said:

Did you just swap out your muffler? That is what I am looking to do. Which muffler did you go with?

See post above I’m going with the magnaflow #12259 will get it installed this weekend yes just swapping out the muffler and I have a new tip to go on as well 

https://www.magnaflow.com/products/12259-performance-muffler-magnaflow-5-x-8-oval-centeroffset-straight-through-performance-muffler#

Finally got my mangaflow installed with the flapper removed sounds good but still kinda quiet I’m gonna try the exhaust tape and clamps on the resonators and see if that makes it any louder sounds a lot deeper the stock.

• 9 months later...

Well, I’ve lived with the “$20 Exhaust hack” (aka clamping my stock flapper open and covering the resonator screens on my dual exhaust) for about a year. 

All it had done is make me hungry for MORE. Lol! 

90% sure I’m going to do the GM-Borla catback. I like the idea of all new SS pipes to open up the flow through the system for long term, small HP and MPG gains. 

Only reason I say 90% is because there’s still a part of me that wonders if a cheaper Gibson or Flowmaster set up would be just as good. Since I live in TX, the 304 SS isn’t quite as big of a deal to me.