6 hours ago, econometrics said:

Well, I’ve lived with the “$20 Exhaust hack” (aka clamping my stock flapper open and covering the resonator screens on my dual exhaust) for about a year. 

All it had done is make me hungry for MORE. Lol! 

90% sure I’m going to do the GM-Borla catback. I like the idea of all new SS pipes to open up the flow through the system for long term, small HP and MPG gains. 

Only reason I say 90% is because there’s still a part of me that wonders if a cheaper Gibson or Flowmaster set up would be just as good. Since I live in TX, the 304 SS isn’t quite as big of a deal to me. 

I had Gibson dual sport exhaust on my 2018 Sierra and absolutely loved it. It has a fantastic deep tone when you get on it, but really quiet while cruising down the interstate/highway. I only paid $468 for it through autoanything last summer. I would have bought it again for my new Silverado but they don't offer it in CC Standard bed sizes. Was super bummed.  Hear is a sound clip on youtube of a 5.3L.  I know it's a 2014 but it gonna sound about the same. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

So I did the muffler delete today. Best $100 I’ve ever spent. Sounds great, like a 8 cylinder should. Got ride of the flapper valve as well. Sounds perfect.

Much louder at startup and acceleration. Slightly louder while cruising, but not bad. I don’t find the extra noise to be a problem at all.

Finally got to the muffler delete today. been debating with myself for months about, finally got the piece of pipe i needed and pulled the trigger today. took me about 20 min. stood at the rear of the truck and started it...HOLY ****** !!!i kinda just giggled....not knocking anyone but the video and sound clips dont do it justice. its deep, real deep, very throaty...screams on a cold start, def noticeable at reg startup. great rumble and progression when getting on it but when cruising or even normal thru my neighborhood its not loud at all.  the cost vs reward cant be beaten. 

On 10/3/2020 at 4:37 PM, Centex14 said:

Installed a Borla ProXS on the 2020 today. Cut out the exhaust valve and muffler but left the three mesh resonators.

https://youtu.be/VxhdAg8D7lw

Think I may go this route on my 20 Elevation.  Is the flapper just ahead of the muffler, like is it obvious?  Every vehicle I have ever had, has been cut out the muffler, weld in the new one, no extra resonators, etc.

• 1 month later...

New to the forum, we just picked up a Denali 5.3L 2020 and I have been going mod-happy. I wanted a meaner exhaust sound too, and just tried the AFE muffler delete pipe. We tried the truck for a day and went back and put back on the stock muffler/flapper until I can find an aftermarket muffler to put in place of the stock. The drone on the crew cab was quite intense around 1500 and under a load, even my wife that is hard of hearing didn't like it. Kids in the back definitely didn't. Sounds great from the outside though, a bit like my camaro SS with the pops on deceleration, etc.

So now I want to find something that is about 1/2 between the two and without inside drone....

Got the Rotofab CAI installed, hard tonneau cover, gm rubber mats all around, and much improved underseat tray. It's a shame that GM thinks that tray is even worth mentioning, it hold very little and is so flimsy. So my hunt for a more aggressive exhaust tone continues!

) as I don't want to toss them in the trash. :)

I plan on finding someone local that might want my stock parts (intake/airbox, underseat tray) and afe muffler delete so they don't take up room in the garage, but will be watching this thread to see whether there are more suggestions for exhaust. The Borla ProXS sounds like it should be at the top of my list right now.

Edited by C Gerber

New to the forum, we just picked up a Denali 5.3L 2020 and I have been going mod-happy. I wanted a meaner exhaust sound too, and just tried the AFE muffler delete pipe. We tried the truck for a day and went back and put back on the stock muffler/flapper until I can find an aftermarket muffler to put in place of the stock. The drone on the crew cab was quite intense around 1500 and under a load, even my wife that is hard of hearing didn't like it. Kids in the back definitely didn't. Sounds great from the outside though, a bit like my camaro SS with the pops on deceleration, etc.

So now I want to find something that is about 1/2 between the two and without inside drone....

Got the Rotofab CAI installed, hard tonneau cover, gm rubber mats all around, and much improved underseat tray. It's a shame that GM thinks that tray is even worth mentioning, it hold very little and is so flimsy. So my hunt for a more aggressive exhaust tone continues!
) as I don't want to toss them in the trash. [emoji4]

I plan on finding someone local that might want my stock parts (intake/airbox, underseat tray) and afe muffler delete so they don't take up room in the garage, but will be watching this thread to see whether there are more suggestions for exhaust. The Borla ProXS sounds like it should be at the top of my list right now.

I went with the GM Performance Exhaust because I wanted something a bit louder than stock but still pretty mellow. That’s exactly what the GMPE is. Only problem is the price!

1 hour ago, C Gerber said:

) as I don't want to toss them in the trash. :)

I think you'd be most happy with a Borla Type-S catback. Sure, it costs some $... but so does a Denali. So I can tell you know how to value the money you spend. If you're looking for something with the AFE delete level of growl, but no drone, the Type-S is probably the best for you. 

I have the Borla Touring, and it works perfectly for me. I didn't want too aggressive of an exhaust, like a muffler delete would be. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2020 at 4:37 PM, Centex14 said:

Installed a Borla ProXS on the 2020 today. Cut out the exhaust valve and muffler but left the three mesh resonators.

https://youtu.be/VxhdAg8D7lw

Just wondering how you are liking the Borla ProXS, I just ordered the same muffler to do the same install.  Is there any drone in the cab under normal driving?  I am looking at more  of a Borla Touring sound, mellow until you get on it. Would this be the correct option?

• 3 weeks later...