Want to purchase 2015 GMC Yukon SLT with 92k on it. What should be my concerns and what should I look for? Is it safe to buy?

What could me the main problems and issues I should look for ? Thanks for the input

You need to check or be aware of:

- Transmission fluid status whether it had already been replaced or not and its condition. There is a trans thermostat that you need to delete in order to make sure the fluid temp will not go high if you are a guy who live in a warm area or use the car up hills or to pull.

- Engine and idle hours.

- Rear Yukon break lights know that led strip burns. Check YouTube for the easy fix using soldering gun and electric solder.

- 2015 model has one release at the beginning of the year, and then refreshed by the middle of 2015. First one came with a small screen in the middle (may be in SLE only not sure), the refreshed editions got the 8” infotainment system. Later in 2016, Apple CarPlay was included, and then in 2017 Android Auto was included.

- GM trucks from 2015+ have GDI engines, and with that been said, you have to keep in mind that contaminants was built already inside. No one knows how bad are their engines, but just to let you know about it. Many elements can affect that (as good or bad) such as fuel quality, oil brand quality as full synthetic or lower, oil change intervals, was the previous owner taking car of internal engine cleaning with some cleaning products, you may need to check YouTube regarding GDI engines problems so you become aware.

- I would highly recommend you test the 2015+ first, as the rear differential with the suspensions may not satisfy the ride quality that you may expect. Many ppl complain about toughness.

- Check if the previous owner have already took the vehicle for the recalls, because there are some already.

- Not that important, but I remember I saw a video explaining how they have changed the design of the third rear seat, before it was easily removed and there was stealing incidents happened before.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SARNCAN said:

You need to check or be aware of:

- Transmission fluid status whether it had already been replaced or not and its condition. There is a trans thermostat that you need to delete in order to make sure the fluid temp will not go high if you are a guy who live in a warm area or use the car up hills or to pull.

- Engine and idle hours.

- Rear Yukon break lights know that led strip burns. Check YouTube for the easy fix using soldering gun and electric solder.

- 2015 model has one release at the beginning of the year, and then refreshed by the middle of 2015. First one came with a small screen in the middle (may be in SLE only not sure), the refreshed editions got the 8” infotainment system. Later in 2016, Apple CarPlay was included, and then in 2017 Android Auto was included.

- GM trucks from 2015+ have GDI engines, and with that been said, you have to keep in mind that contaminants was built already inside. No one knows how bad are their engines, but just to let you know about it. Many elements can affect that (as good or bad) such as fuel quality, oil brand quality as full synthetic or lower, oil change intervals, was the previous owner taking car of internal engine cleaning with some cleaning products, you may need to check YouTube regarding GDI engines problems so you become aware.

- I would highly recommend you test the 2015+ first, as the rear differential with the suspensions may not satisfy the ride quality that you may expect. Many ppl complain about toughness.

- Check if the previous owner have already took the vehicle for the recalls, because there are some already.

- Not that important, but I remember I saw a video explaining how they have changed the design of the third rear seat, before it was easily removed and there was stealing incidents happened before.

Thank you very much for this info. I will definitely do as much research on this truck as I can . This would be my first GM so don’t know much about this trucks

Little update: just spoke with a dealer where the car was serviced. He said that vacuum pump was replaced, AC condenser , something to do with the radio was fixed . Also he mentioned that is a 6 speed transmission on that Yukon. I asked about there is shutter noise  he said that this can be taking care of by replacing the fluid with some new one and that can be done before the warranty expires at 100k. Truck now has 92k on it . 

Taking purchase price out of the equation. If I had the opportunity to buy the last year before cylinder deactivation 5.3 or especially 6.2 I’d buy it before the 15. One little concern would be there seems to be electrical problems in that year model. My son had one. Some have posted here. If it was cheap enough to cover cylinder deactivation delete if there’s a failure then I’d consider it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is my input, i was in a similar situation. Bought my 2014 sierra with 88k miles not knowing much about it besides it was almost all highway driven by a traveling salesman. He put 88k with in 3 years and upgraded.

Go to mycarfax.com and enter the VIN, claim the truck as your own. Super simple to sign up.

Once you do this you can see all service history that was reported listed.Note: If the truck was serviced in some smaller shops, you may not always get service updates sent out vs dealer.

There you can see what was replaced and what services have been done.

When i got mine i dint see any fluid changes besides oil so i opted to have the dealer do both front and rear diff and transmission FLUSH. (more on this in a bit) This was at like 90k i believe.

I didn't have any issues after purchase, did brakes as normal and changed plugs/wires/coils at 112k.

At around 120k i got really bad shudder and eventually the torque converter gave up and required me to get a full on trans rebuilt locally. I opted to have it overbuilt vs what stock GM trans have.

I believe the trans flush may have played a role in this TC fail. I should have opted to do a pan drop and filter change vs just fluid flush.

Im at 128k now and no issues, running strong.

Good luck! 

1 hour ago, Paulnyc said:

Little update: just spoke with a dealer where the car was serviced. He said that vacuum pump was replaced, AC condenser , something to do with the radio was fixed . Also he mentioned that is a 6 speed transmission on that Yukon. I asked about there is shutter noise  he said that this can be taking care of by replacing the fluid with some new one and that can be done before the warranty expires at 100k. Truck now has 92k on it . 

Pass

When this type of post is put up I feel you are asking for advice that may help but you are the one spending the money.

I also wonder how much budget is an influence.
I have bought used vehilces all my life but buy them with under 50 K miles.

First thing I do is all fluid services.

They are also very clean.

Have not got a bad one.

:

19 hours ago, Paulnyc said:

What could me the main problems and issues I should look for ? Thanks for the input

Get a full mechanical inspection by a professional and objective mechanic if you are pleased with the condition and price.   If you are buying from a dealer,  I suspect you are not getting much of a break due to the high mileage and I suggest searching for a vehicle with less experience.

Honestly, I would avoid model year 2015. It's never really a good idea to buy the first model year of any new generation. It seems like the vast majority of problems on this forum and others with the K2 SUVs are 2015s. If you look at Consumer Reports ratings, the reliability score increases with year, with 17-19 having very high marks (on par with the Toyota Land Cruiser, even). MY 2015 gets a big fat "Poor" score.  See if you can find a newer one. If not, consider alternatives such as Toyota Sequoia, Nissan Armada (17+), and Ford Expedition (15+). 

• Like 1

When looking at new or used vehicles I always push them a bit on the test drive. Pay close attention to what the truck is doing when shifting and how the motor sounds. If it were me and I decided to buy it, I'd change all fluids myself or by my mechanic regardless of when they were done, change belts and radiator hoses. Get all the easy stuff taken care of right off the bat and start fresh.  

1 hour ago, diyer2 said:

When this type of post is put up I feel you are asking for advice that may help but you are the one spending the money.

I also wonder how much budget is an influence.
I have bought used vehilces all my life but buy them with under 50 K miles.

First thing I do is all fluid services.

They are also very clean.

Have not got a bad one.

:

I know that I’m the one who’s paying for it , but when you don’t know anything about that specific vehicle you would ask questions and get some answers from people with the experience with this trucks. Sort of an eye opener . Budget wise they asking almost 28k. I haven’t seen cheaper anywhere for that kind of mileage.

10 hours ago, Paulnyc said:

Sorry I didn’t put this exactly how I wanted . I asked the dealer IF by chance I find a shudder noise during test drive or will get one after I purchase the vehicle . That’s what I meant

Okay, that changes things. In that case: 

10 hours ago, Donstar said:

Get a full mechanical inspection by a professional and objective mechanic if you are pleased with the condition and price.   If you are buying from a dealer,  I suspect you are not getting much of a break due to the high mileage and I suggest searching for a vehicle with less experience.

Sounds about right.