How To: Remove Infotainment / Climate Unit & Access Gauge Cluster

I recently installed the upgraded digital dash in our LTZ that did not have it thanks to White Automotive and Media Services.  The process turned out to be quite a bit more daunting than I had expected. I had found a few posts (here and another better start here) that talked about upgrading the gauge cluster, however I could not find any specific step by step instructions to gain access. 

Here's the obligatory "After" photo showing our new gauge cluster!

White_Media_Cluster_Upgrade17.jpg

With plenty of reasons for everyone to access the radio, center console, and gauge cluster, I thought a step by step tutorial would make the project immensely easier for anyone willing to do it. And trust me, If I can do it, you can do it. 

This "How To" is a work in progress I just wanted to get it out the before it's fully complete for anyone who wants to do this or has been struggling with how to get the specific trim pieces that are required off. 

I plan to do this entire process again in the near future so I can create a video showing this process and take additional photographs to fill in what I missed the first time. 

LAST UPDATE: Feb 21st, 2020

White_Media_Cluster_Upgrade14.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tools needed

7mm socket with 6 inch extension & ⅜ ratchet , plastic interior trim removal tools, T15 Torx bit

Plastic Interior Trim Removal Tools are absolutely necessary. Using metal tools or screw drivers will 100% damage your interior!

We used this kit from Amazon that costs around $16.  <------ This is not a referral link. Just being helpful and showing as an example. 

Prepare by cleaning out center console, cup holders, charging area, side console storage areas, and by moving the front driver/passenger seats backwards. 
Using towels, create a soft area to store interior pieces during work

The Steps

1. Pry infotainment decorative chrome/painted trim away, starting at the bottom around the HVAC vents on each side, then the top. 
    White_Media_Cluster_Upgrade05.jpg
  2. Remove square access cover directly next to the accelerator pedal. 
  3. Remove the 7mm screw under the decorative cover. 
    White_Media_Cluster_Upgrade07.jpg
  4. Place fingers in drivers side footwell console storage area and use moderate force to pull the side of the center console away.  You do not have the totally remove the panel. There are approximately 8 clips to pull loose towards the top and front of the panel. 
  5. Do the same on the passenger side, however there is no screw to remove before the panel will snap out. There are approximately 8 clips to pull loose. You do not have to totally remove the panel. 
  6. With the center console lid open, use a pry tool to pop the clips holding the top of the center console area to the center console assembly. 
  7. Pull up and disconnect approximately 10 clips around the cup holders, charging pad and/or storage pad area  and up to directly below the radio/climate controls. Do not yank the trim too far away, there are wires connected to the bottom of this trim piece. 
  8. Gently position the tray as far rearward as possible without removing the wires, or gently remove the wire connectors and place the console on your soft area. 
  9. Using a pry tool, remove the thin, curved piece of trim directly under the USB/12V/120V Trailer Brake Controls. There are five clips to remove, each releasing directly towards the rear of the vehicle, parallel to the floor of the vehicle. Release  two clips on each side then pull gently to remove the center clip.
    White_Media_Cluster_Upgrade11.jpg
  10. Position console tray (if still attached) to remove two T15 screws at bottom of infotainment/climate control unit. 
  11. Unscrew top four T15 screws holding infotainment/climate control in place at top of unit. 
  12. Using pry bar, pull infotainment unit away, releasing approximately 8 clips around the unit. Use caution, HVAC ducting will come out with the unit, so only pull directly out. 
  13. Disconnect Unit or lean out to continue on for access to gauge cluster. 
    White_Media_Cluster_Upgrade09.jpg
  14. Using a plastic pry tool, release the leather infotainment trim, but only along the side of the cluster. 
  15. Using a plastic pry tool, remove the leather gauge cluster hood. The approximately 6 clips are released pulling straight up. 
  16. Remove the fuse access panel on the driver’s side door opening. 
  17. Using a T15 bit, remove the two screws holding the Light Control / 4X4 Switch unit in place. 
  18. Using a pry tool, pull the Light Control / 4X4 Switch unit directly away from the dash. There are approximately 8 clips holding it in place. 
    White_Media_Cluster_Upgrade08.jpg
  19. Unscrew three 7mm screws holding the front cluster trim piece in place. 
  20. Using your hands, pry the cluster trim piece away from behind the steering wheel, including the trim piece on the top of the steering wheel column that is attached. 
    White_Media_Cluster_Upgrade10.jpg
  21. Remove four 7mm screws holding gauge cluster in place. 
    White_Media_Cluster_Upgrade14.jpg
  22. For 2019 trucks, slide red locking tab and lift cam lock to remove cluster harness. 
    White_Media_Cluster_Upgrade15.jpg
  23. Reverse steps to reassemble. 

Please comment with any suggestions, edits, or comments. I'd like this to be as helpful as possible. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am curious as to what year trucks this actually applies to.  The teaser in the GM-Trucks email stated "2014-2021", but once I saw that actual posting, it made me think it was only for the newer trucks.  For example it referenced part numbers, but not for the older models.  I have a 2015, is this possible for me?

Thanks for posting, even if I can't use it, 

JBP