2019 2020 Silverado 6.2 Supercharger Build

14 minutes ago, Descartian said:

If you factor in a 18% powertrain loss that’s 640 at the crank. 

?

Just keep in mind if you look at the details of the chart is using STD corrections vs the industry standard SAE, which is also used by all OEMs (as far as I know)

but regardless of the details or a handful of hp here or there, its a massive power boost.

We haven't had a discussion of the centrifugal (procharger) vs twin screw (whipple) in this thread, but also keep in mind being a twin screw design, you are getting boost and much extra power at basically any point in the power band. When it comes to real world performance its not the peak that's important, that's just for bragging rights,  its the area under the curve that matters. The Whipple delivers on that area under the curve.

1 hour ago, kodiakdenali said:

?

Just keep in mind if you look at the details of the chart is using STD corrections vs the industry standard SAE, which is also used by all OEMs (as far as I know)

but regardless of the details or a handful of hp here or there, its a massive power boost.

We haven't had a discussion of the centrifugal (procharger) vs twin screw (whipple) in this thread, but also keep in mind being a twin screw design, you are getting boost and much extra power at basically any point in the power band. When it comes to real world performance its not the peak that's important, that's just for bragging rights,  its the area under the curve that matters. The Whipple delivers on that area under the curve.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. For drivability, instant power and a strong power band, I’d pick the whipple over the pro charger.  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Descartian said:

I wholeheartedly agree with this. For drivability, instant power and a strong power band, I’d pick the whipple over the pro charger.  

I asked 2 tuners for their advice as I was originally leaning towards the Procharger because it looked like a less invasive installation. Both tuners have a ton of experience in the field. Both said definitely get the Whipple, without any hesitation.

The Whipple design has its limitations. They can only move so much air with their design. IIRC they max out around 1000hp. Going beyond that is where a Eaton rotor supercharger shines. But for most cars the whipple is a great positive displacement choice. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Descartian said:

The Whipple design has its limitations. They can only move so much air with their design. IIRC they max out around 1000hp. Going beyond that is where a Eaton rotor supercharger shines. But for most cars the whipple is a great positive displacement choice. 

Indeed. but I'm not worried about that at all, 1000 is well beyond my power aspirations for the truck ?

• Like 1

On 2/18/2021 at 9:24 AM, kodiakdenali said:

?

I started out initially leaning ProCharger. Did some thinking and decided on Whipple. After more thought, i remain undecided.

I know overall, whipple delivers consistent power increase. You'll get the boost even at low RPMs.

I was then thinking i wont be pulling or hauling too often, and running lower boost at lower rpms might actually be more ideal (less engine wear, tire wear, drivetrain, etc).

Some other differences..  ProChargers tune is easier to install, they have an arrangement setup with HP already to streamline the process. Procharger install is less invasive overall as well. With Whipple, you have to go through HP Tuners and get ecm unlocked, and then upload the Whipple yourself. Part of that process is more involved. Security/immobility relearn requiring a gm dealer (mdi2) tool. 

All that being said, since both are good options, I'm stuck at a crossroads... pondering... 

One other thought ive been debating on... should i put on some headers while im at it? Ive got the gm performance cat back, but id headers and better flow will help power and keep temps low, plus add some throat to the exhaust sound.

They can also be a pain to install. And after i broke off a rear passenger side bolt and fought exhaust leaks when i put shorties on an old 350 K series, i swore id never mess with headers on a daily driver again.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, darkhorse220 said:

I know overall, whipple delivers consistent power increase. You'll get the boost even at low RPMs.

I was then thinking i wont be pulling or hauling too often, and running lower boost at lower rpms might actually be more ideal (less engine wear, tire wear, drivetrain, etc).

true, but remember that you aren't just getting a set amount of boost at any given RPM, you won't boost at all unless you open up the throttle. you can accelerate the truck from a stop to highway speed at 1/2 throttle, get it to high rpms, and probably never get into any boost with the blower staying in bypass mode the entire time. but as soon as you really push the throttle the boost is there whenever you want it. Its all about how you drive it. The difference is with the procharger at lower rpms the boost isn't available when you want it, not until you get the rpms up.

The truck is still plenty strong with the 6.2L even if you don't get into the boost at all. You just have a lot more power in reserve for when you want it.

Edited by kodiakdenali
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, kodiakdenali said:

true, but remember that you aren't just getting a set amount of boost at any given RPM, you won't boost at all unless you open up the throttle. you can accelerate the truck from a stop to highway speed at 1/2 throttle, get it to high rpms, and probably never get into any boost with the blower staying in bypass mode the entire time. but as soon as you really push the throttle the boost is there whenever you want it. Its all about how you drive it. The difference is with the procharger at lower rpms the boost isn't available when you want it, not until you get the rpms up.

The truck is still plenty strong with the 6.2L even if you don't get into the boost at all. You just have a lot more power in reserve for when you want it.

Good point. Was not thinking about the bypass.

11 hours ago, kodiakdenali said:

Good post. 

7 hours ago, IrritableVet said:

Fwiw I've had mine procharged since mile 50 on the truck. It was 8525 shipped and came with its own tune. Installed in a weekend and ended up making a little over 450 wheel at 7.9 lbs on a 5.3. 10 speed too. P1SC kit. 

When you say it came with its own tune?  Do you mean that you didn’t have to swap out your ECM with HP tuners? Or did the kit just tune the entire truck like a hand held tuner could do in the K2 trucks?   
If you take anywhere from 15% to 20% parasitic loss, you have around 520-540 HP at crank for a 5.3L. That’s not bad.  How has it handled it? Any issues with tranny?  Shifting when accelerating hard then back to normal driving?

My Trailblazer SS tranny would be a “pest” sometimes when I drove it hard, then when I went back to normal driving it would shift and thunk back into 1st and 2nd gear. Needed tranny retuned.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TNTSilverado said:

When you say it came with its own tune?  Do you mean that you didn’t have to swap out your ECM with HP tuners? Or did the kit just tune the entire truck like a hand held tuner could do in the K2 trucks?   
If you take anywhere from 15% to 20% parasitic loss, you have around 520-540 HP at crank for a 5.3L. That’s not bad.  How has it handled it? Any issues with tranny?  Shifting when accelerating hard then back to normal driving?

My Trailblazer SS tranny would be a “pest” sometimes when I drove it hard, then when I went back to normal driving it would shift and thunk back into 1st and 2nd gear. Needed tranny retuned.  

Every T1XX truck needs to have the E90 ECM exchange before you can tune them. Procharger will ask with the RTD file to get that from you using the ECM replace function on HP Tuners. Once they get the file they modify it and send it back. The only thing you will need to do is get the key relearn done. It takes about a day to get the tune back. 

As far as the truck goes. It works well. No issues. FYI if you have a 10 speed on a T93 computers. Sadly they cannot be tuned. If you have an older truck with a T87A tcm you got lucky. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TNTSilverado said:

I think its the same process with both kits. you need to go through hptuners to get an ECU exchange for an unlocked unit. before you send it in your tuner pulls your stock tune from your original ECU with hptuners software. you get the exchange then they download your stock tune back into the new ECU and re-pair your keys. that stock tune is also sent to ProCharger or Whipple and they modify it based on the supercharger and send it back via e-mail. once the blower is installed the tuner downloads the modified tune and you're off to the races.

from my research it looks like ProCharger includes the hptuners exchange in the advertised price of the setup, Whipple just notes that its an extra expense. but its the same process either way.

also looks like ProCharger recommends a plug change, Whipple includes the NGK plugs with the kit.

as for shifting, no problems with mine at all. when you accelerate aggressively the shifts are fast and firm, as soon as you are driving more casually everything is buttery smooth just like stock. that's in sport mode of course, might be even softer in touring.

You really can't go wrong with either kit, I'm sure the procharged T1 is every bit as fun.

• Thanks 1