Kill switch Install

I got a 2017 Silverado 2lt with remote start and recently a peer of mine got his truck stolen. I want to add something to my truck to prevent that but I can’t really afford the viper alarm system at the moment so i want to install a kill switch in the ignition. If someone could share the wiring diagram that would be awesome because I can’t seem to find it and I was curious if there was a way to install the kill switch without losing my remote start.

13 minutes ago, Chevy Don said:

recently a peer of mine got his truck stolen.

Did he have the truck locked?
If so, must've been a window smash and problematic attempt to start the truck. Heck, I can have my truck locked, get a window smash, and they aren't opening the door even so. No power to the locks.
It's possible, I suppose, but the only instances in my area of truck theft has been on unlocked vehicles or unsecured keys.

12 minutes ago, MikeBMW said:

Did he have the truck locked?
If so, must've been a window smash and problematic attempt to start the truck. Heck, I can have my truck locked, get a window smash, and they aren't opening the door even so. No power to the locks.
It's possible, I suppose, but the only instances in my area of truck theft has been on unlocked vehicles or unsecured keys.

I’m not totally sure, thought it was the classic push in the lock and jam the ignition. He had a 03 cateye, so I figured that’s what happened.

• Like 1

It's actually a pretty big problem especially down in Texas. It is pretty easy to open the hood and then swap out the computer with another and this also disables onstar monitoring. Someone who knows what they are doing can get this done in a minute or so and be driving down the street in your truck. Here is an older article that states just this

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2020/02/chevrolet-silverado-thieves-disable-onstar-tracking/

And you are correct, there are ways to put in a kill switch but this will, as you have found out, disable the remote start. I had considered a kill switch as well but really like the remote start feature. If someone does come up with a way to get around this, I would also like to do it. In the meantime, I try to not have anything in the truck that I'd be worried about if truck got stolen and also keep full coverage insurance on it in the unfortunate case of my truck getting stolen...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Install the kill switch like you normally do. Instead of a manual switch. Use something similar to the Pac tr7 to trigger the kill switch. 4 lock click deactivated kill switch so you can remote start. 1 lock click activate kill switch and lock the vehicle. Connect the tr7 to an actuator and the actuator will be the mechanical hand to physically turn on or off the switch.. 

Maybe I'm over thinking this 🤔 

PAC TR-7 Universal Trigger Output Module for Video Bypass https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002J22BO/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_navT_g_K5HN988P0775P755QAHV

InstallGear Universal Car Power Door Lock Actuators 12-Volt Motor (2 Pack) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CZBQCR2/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_navT_g_8ZRK58VVY6F3YC6J3Y4D

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, mikeyk101 said:

It's actually a pretty big problem especially down in Texas. It is pretty easy to open the hood and then swap out the computer with another and this also disables onstar monitoring. Someone who knows what they are doing can get this done in a minute or so and be driving down the street in your truck. Here is an older article that states just this

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2020/02/chevrolet-silverado-thieves-disable-onstar-tracking/

And you are correct, there are ways to put in a kill switch but this will, as you have found out, disable the remote start. I had considered a kill switch as well but really like the remote start feature. If someone does come up with a way to get around this, I would also like to do it. In the meantime, I try to not have anything in the truck that I'd be worried about if truck got stolen and also keep full coverage insurance on it in the unfortunate case of my truck getting stolen...

Yeah I heard about that with the new trucks, but there is nothing much you can do.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CrawlSlow said:

Install the kill switch like you normally do. Instead of a manual switch. Use something similar to the Pac tr7 to trigger the kill switch. 4 lock click deactivated kill switch so you can remote start. 1 lock click activate kill switch and lock the vehicle. Connect the tr7 to an actuator and the actuator will be the mechanical hand to physically turn on or off the switch.. 

PAC TR-7 Universal Trigger Output Module for Video Bypass https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002J22BO/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_navT_g_K5HN988P0775P755QAHV

InstallGear Universal Car Power Door Lock Actuators 12-Volt Motor (2 Pack) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CZBQCR2/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_navT_g_8ZRK58VVY6F3YC6J3Y4D

That’s actually pretty good idea, that might work. I wish I had the wiring diagram tho.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

On 10/26/2021 at 11:55 PM, CrawlSlow said:

On 10/27/2021 at 5:48 AM, Chevy Don said:

That’s actually pretty good idea, that might work. I wish I had the wiring diagram tho.

Have you gotten any further with this? 

I was looking at these options to keep remote start.

Get a remote control RF relay.

Remote Relay

Or get a GPS tracker with kill switch. Both have some battery reserve(couple hours is what they say).

These two look the same, just packaged and supported by different companies I guess. They both have web and phone app.

SinoTrack ST-906 GPS

You can use a pre-paid SIM($5/month lowest plan), I purchased Speedtalk. Will see about getting one from AT&T, if they even have one.  I purchased this one just to check out. I do like the fact that, even after enabling the cut off command, if the power is removed, once you apply power again, it will switch the relay to disconnect(PIN 30/87a) again, until you send the command to recover.

Another choice is TrackmateGPS:

TrackmateGPS

They have their own plan package.

I was looking at these options as a backup to the Onstar sub I have. I have the security plan, but this will be more of an actual remote kill switch. I just need to look at the schematics. There is this one, but some of the fuse he pulled, when I pulled it on mine to check, it still started.. 🤪

Edited by jpinoy