Progressively increasing gas smell

I have a 2014 Sierra with 95k for miles.  A/c doesn’t hold a charge so I have it shut off.  About two months back my wife noticed a gas smell around my truck. At first is seemed to be towards the area of the fuel tank.  I have been watching and poked around a bit.  I don’t see an leaking fuel as I don’t see anything dripping under the truck.  I have also noticed that sometimes it is an oil smell. 

There is no difference in smell if I have just fueled up, near empty or anything in between.  Says it has been getting colder out. I’m starting to smell the gas in the cab of the truck more frequently.  I seem to also smell it more after I have backed up.  If sitting for a while the smell is only faintly detectable outside around the vehicle, but not inside the vehicle.  The odor isn’t constant but is becoming fairly regular now.  I can’t smell it when on the highway but that might because of the speed I am traveling at.

I had this issue? What does anybody have any idea what the problem might be?

thank you

Edited by Gilbert Taylor
Update and correct composition

42 minutes ago, Gilbert Taylor said:

I have a 2014 Sierra with 95k for miles.  A/c doesn’t hold a charge so I have it shut off.  About two months back my wife noticed a gas smell around my truck. At first is seemed to be towards the area of the fuel tank.  I have been watching and poked around a bit.  I don’t see, to be leaking fuel as I don’t see anything dripping under the truck.

There is no difference in smell if I have just fueled up, near empty or anything in between.  Says it has been getting colder out. I’m starting to smell the gas in the cab of the truck Maureen will frequently.  I seem to shower more after I have backed up. And sitting for a while the smells faintly detectable outside around the vehicle., But not inside the vehicle.

I had this issue? What does anybody have any idea what the problem might be?

thank you

Do you live where it snows and they salt the roads?  If so, top of the fuel tank, the top of the sending unit has most likely rotted out and has a hole, either small or large.

• Like 4

Sorry for the comp, was using speak to text.   I fixed it to make diyer2 happy

thank you new dude, yes I live in new England.  Is the top of the tank going to be visible enough without dropping it?

thank you, itsTim. No, I don’t someone said it was probable the condenser.  I only mentioned it because I had seen a posting where someone had had a gas smell when their AC was on.

1 hour ago, Gilbert Taylor said:

Sorry for the comp, was using speak to text.   I fixed it to make diyer2 happy

thank you new dude, yes I live in new England.  Is the top of the tank going to be visible enough without dropping it?

thank you, itsTim. No, I don’t someone said it was probable the condenser.  I only mentioned it because I had seen a posting where someone had had a gas smell when their AC was on.

You might be able to hold your phone up and with the flash on, take a picture.  Can't stick your head up and look.  Sending unit is about 10 inches forward of the rear of the tank, about 1-2 inches forward of the rearward tank crossmember.     

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update, I was able to see up on top of the tank with a mirror, seems to be leaking at the fuel pump. I bought it into my local mechanic, he agrees. Part is on order now, however he also noticed that the crossmember that the tax wraps too he’s also badly rusted. He says this is also a common problem that he sees and GMC is.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I'm having the same issue with my Silverado 1500 wt 2014.

No engine light. Had an auto body shop do a scan and print it out. No issues with the emissions. They inspected the truck couldn't find it leaking anywhere. Pulled out the bedliner wash the bed and the plastic liner. The smells still exists... Somebody at the auto body shop said they had a problem like that once after they changed a fuel filter The problem went away. The fuel filter is located inside the tank. There's no engine light on and it past emissions.

Wondering if it's the EGR valve for the fuel filter canister is. It's normally open when it's not energized. Maybe that's where the smell is coming from...

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Stephen Widomski said:

Wondering if it's the EGR valve for the fuel filter canister is. It's normally open when it's not energized. Maybe that's where the smell is coming from...

The filter is more like a sock to keep large contaminants out.  You most likely have a leak on top of the tank or your EVAP canister has fuel in it from trying to pump when it clicks off.