Heck ya it's rusty. It was covered from hub to hub while sitting on the lot. My point is, GM didn't even care to attempt any corrosion protection on that vehicle. Our trucks are pretty much entirely covered in something. Good or bad. Granted, the TA didn't cost $50k. My axle still works.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

My frame was in the same boat. Its currently receiving the TSB fix for the rusty frame problem. My 2004 silverado that I sold before buying the 2014 didn't look like this until 3-4 years.

They are going to be "fixing" applying the TSB resolution steps to it shortly.

frame rust 2014 sierra

frame rust 2014 sierra

frame rust 2014 sierra

frame rust 2014 sierra

frame rust 2014 sierra

frame rust 2014 sierra

My frame was in the same boat. Its currently receiving the TSB fix for the rusty frame problem. My 2004 silverado that I sold before buying the 2014 didn't look like this until 3-4 years.

I know this is like the 4th thread I've responded to on this issue but it irks me so much I can't let it go. I'm in the same boat as you guys. I'm getting the TSB repair done next week but I don't have faith it will work. Something happened with the frame prepping process before these things were dipped which is why the garbage wax coating is peeling so easily. I've only had my 2014 truck for 2 months and it looks worse than my 2007 silverado did after 7 years. Bottom line is a frame shouldn't be rusting this early. Ford doesn't. Toyota doesn't. Nissan doesn't. And Dodge doesn't. So I dont like being told this is normal and acceptable for a Chevy. It's un acceptable and Chevy needs to improve their design. They tout this as being the most corrosive resistant silverado ever which is true for the body, but they did nothing to improve the frame. Anyway I'll keep everyone posted on how my repair goes as well.

What was your build date, where was your truck built.

Info sticker between drivers door and rear passenger door on body.

Just wondering date built?

I was at the dealer yesterday and I looked at 2 new trucks that just came in and now they have a clear like glaze sprayed on the frame and rear axle. Maybe they're addressing it at the factory now?

Wow, that is the worst rust on a 2014 I have seen to date. Unfortunately, all they will do is spray on 3m rubberized undercoating which will last a few months. This is what we did when I worked at a dealership back in the day.

Edited by Pinnacle

I have to get some pics up..they just fixed the bad areas..they did follow the tsb to a tee for those areas.They didnt use a spray, they used a brush. They used the products listed in the TSB. Took them 72 hours as they had to account for dry time in between coats.

Edited by GM-GUY

I don't think I got the TSB fix on mine. Apparently my VIN number wasn't one of the ones in the recall. They cleaned the rust and sprayed the spots with a black coating I think by 3M but it was an overnight fix. Not the 72 hour job you guys are describing or the thick painted on product. Anyway they missed some of the rust spots so we agreed they would fix it all when I bring it in for my next oil change to cut down on the number of trips to the dealer. I'll see how the current repairs hold up in the mean time.

I personally don't care much about the look of the rust, it's a structural issue for me. I just want to know the frame will last 10 years and not break in half.

Edited by Silverado-Hareek

What was the product they used in the TSB? can you find out? Really like to see the pics

The proper stuff to use when touching up the frames on these trucks is in an aerosol can bearing GM part number 12346501. It is a match to the color, texture and overall appearance of the factory applied coating. I touched up a couple of small spots on my 2013 frame and it looks spot on.

What was the product they used in the TSB? can you find out? Really like to see the pics

Heres the page I posted the TSB on with all the info> http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/158444-factory-undercoating-is-peeling-off/page-2

But in short they are "recommended" to use the following products:

• Using Lloyd’s Pure Prep™ Metal Surface Preparation P/N 25418 (10 fluid ounce bottle), or equivalent, saturate a towel or Scotch-Brite™ (3M) pad with the pre-diluted solution and scrub the area well, rendering a foaming of the Pure Prep.™
  • Apply a light flash-coat of Lloyds Kryptonite Metal Treatment P/N 36502 Life Long Rust Protection (14 ounce aerosol), or equivalent, to all rusted and bare areas of the frame where the wax coating was removed. This first coat should flash in approximately 3-5 minutes.
  • We suggest top coating the Lloyds Kryptonite with Daubert Nox-Rust® P/N X-121B “One Coat Rust Preventative Coating” (aerosol), or equivalent.

Note: As shown in the graphic below, besides adding a corrosion resistant layer, it dries to firm, wax-like film which will more closely resemble the appearance of the unrepaired areas of the frame.

With that said, they can use aerosol or equivalent, which they can use a brush type system to prevent it going everywhere and looking on mine, you can see brush strokes, not spray (they may have used spray up until the final thick heavy coat).

• Like 1

At least GM is using a quality product, I'm looking forward to you posting some actual pics of the job these guys did.

I postedthem to my gallery and to this. Hopefully the admin will combine all these rusting/undercoating peeling off threads into one. Theres like 4 or more out there.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/index.php?/topic/158444-Factory-undercoating-is-peeling-off!!