On 4/10/2020 at 2:03 PM, lryfer said:

Is this happening to the 2018 models as well?  I haven't seen that year mentioned. 

I used POR-15 in the past on my 66 GTO frame and under the body when it was off.  

Absolutely, yes. 18’s are not immune...I have an 18, I have to undercoat it twice a year to keep it from rusting.

On 4/13/2020 at 11:23 AM, Doublebase said:

Absolutely, yes. 18’s are not immune...I have an 18, I have to undercoat it twice a year to keep it from rusting.

This is such a pain, I've had 2 Toyotas, both which had the frames replaced for free while out of warranty. Are these frames even available separately or do I just toss the truck when the time comes?

From another former LS owner, these things seem like a catastrophe considering the truck is still in warranty and I've got frame rust, on my 2nd rear cam repair, transmission/powertrain issues etc. It's hard to accept then I read what the 8-speed Canyon folks are going through..

On 4/17/2020 at 12:21 AM, Locom0tive said:

This is such a pain, I've had 2 Toyotas, both which had the frames replaced for free while out of warranty. Are these frames even available separately or do I just toss the truck when the time comes?

From another former LS owner, these things seem like a catastrophe considering the truck is still in warranty and I've got frame rust, on my 2nd rear cam repair, transmission/powertrain issues etc. It's hard to accept then I read what the 8-speed Canyon folks are going through..

To be totally honest with you, I think your frame will last at least 15 years even if it does get totally covered in rust. As ugly as these chevy frames end up looking, I've only seen one that needed replacement (rusted through with a hole in it). 

Toyota's on the other hand, yeah I have seen quite a few totally destroyed.

I just keep up with my frame because I can't stand the sight of frame rust...drives me nuts. I imagine at some point I'll probably tire of keeping up with it, but I figure until then I'm adding years of life to the frame/truck by doing it.   

• 7 months later...

What is the consensus of what most are doing to “keep up with” or treat theyre frames. Is the Lanolin fluid film or wool wax right over the existing wax coating the way to go and just deal with what it does the wax. I’ve had my 18 silverado 2 years now and want to do something. From what I gather we could imagine the wax coating as not even being there and treat accordingly?

I just picked up a 2016 Silverado WT from PA.  I'm in WI, the entire frame was devoid of all the factory wax.  Nothing left.  I went with the Rustoleum Rust Reformer.  Took a wire wheel cone and some wire brushes and got all the loose stuff off and then hit it with the Rust Reformer.  It dried to a nice flat black that was very similar to what the factory coat looked like new.  Definitely need 2 or 3 coats in some spots, it soaks into the rust in heavy areas.  My guess is that I will have to recoat every year, but it appears breathable and it does not have any rubber which should make for an ideal coating.  

https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/stops-rust/rust-reformer

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I also use the rust reformer to touch up the rust spots, and then, I hit those spots with Rustoleum Pro Grade undercoating. Boxed frames usually rust through from the inside since they hold moisture and they can’t be re-coated inside. A friend recently had to park his 2000 Silverado due to the frame rusting through from the inside. He had coated the frame with POR15 several years ago. After researching different fluids to prevent rust, I decided to use ATF to coat the inside of my frame and cross members. It’s thin enough to spray without thinning and it appears to contain corrosion inhibitors. From the places it got on the outside of the frame, it seems to wick and spread fairly well which means it should do a good job of coating places not directly sprayed. I used an old bottle of Dexron III that I wasn’t going to use anyway. 

To spray the ATF, I used a rechargeable sprayer that is pressurized with compressed air. I used a 2 ft spray tube that came with the cans of cavity wax that I sprayed inside my doors, rockers, fenders, tailgate. There are enough holes in the frame that I believe the entire frame is coated inside. The ATF seems to be friendly to the factory coating as I have seen no evidence of it pealing or softening as I’ve heard mentioned from folks using Fluid Film. Time will tell if my small investment in time and money was worth it as I plan to keep this truck for a while. 

4E04E3C5-BCA2-4570-B5A9-9DD8B384746B.jpeg

Edited by HoosierZ

• 5 months later...

2018 Sierra, 30K miles - in addition to the rusting frame, which seems to be addressed in a service bulletin, has anyone experienced rear shock rust and color fading? The upper shock is now pink and lower portion is rusted so not very attractive. In quick search, it seems that the frame rust issue is largely cosmetic and involves an isolated # of K2 trucks. Wondering if they are all trucks out of a specific plant or geography? Was even thinking maybe flood/salt water (Hurricane Harvey or similar). Any insight would be appreciated. 

Frame rust.jpg

Frame rust2.jpg

Frame rust3.jpg

Frame rust5 shock.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 6/20/2021 at 1:56 PM, JvanGroup said:

2018 Sierra, 30K miles - in addition to the rusting frame, which seems to be addressed in a service bulletin, has anyone experienced rear shock rust and color fading? The upper shock is now pink and lower portion is rusted so not very attractive. In quick search, it seems that the frame rust issue is largely cosmetic and involves an isolated # of K2 trucks. Wondering if they are all trucks out of a specific plant or geography? Was even thinking maybe flood/salt water (Hurricane Harvey or similar). Any insight would be appreciated. 

Frame rust.jpg

Frame rust2.jpg

Frame rust3.jpg

Frame rust5 shock.jpg

You can't stop rust once it's started. Unless you grind it off. 

Use rust cure 3000, rust check etc. 

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...