On 7/26/2018 at 4:47 PM, Doublebase said:

right now I think the oil will take the factory wax right off my frame.

Oil itself shouldn't hurt the wax, since both are petroleum-based.   It's the solvents used to thin down the oil that might be a problem.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2018 at 11:35 AM, don67 said:

Oil itself shouldn't hurt the wax, since both are petroleum-based.   It's the solvents used to thin down the oil that might be a problem.

I don't know, I've seen a lot of things hurt the wax on these frames, it's hardly on there in the first place. Whenever I do an oil change I have to re-apply Undercoating where the oil hits the cross member under the drain plug. It takes the wax right off.

• 3 weeks later...

When I was looking for a product to remove the frame wax, I found that XYLENE quickly dissolves it.

If my frame was brand new and free of rust, I would probably maintain the factory wax using an aerosol can of the same product.
https://www.daubertchemical.com/store/product-list/corrosion-prevention/nox-rust-x-121b

Since my frame was heavily rusted, I chose to dissolve the remaining wax, and prep for paint. After coating with POR-15, I then applied Rust-Oleum Professional Undercoating. I spray fluid film inside the frame and touch up the outside with the Rust-Oleum as needed. Looks like it’s gonna average out to be about $20 a year in products to maintain it.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Matt 6:19 “Stop storing up for yourselves treasures on the earth, where moth and rust consume and where thieves break in and steal.

31 pages on this topic reduced. You can slow it. You can't stop it. Nature is always trying to reduce things to their lowest state of energy. The only real question is how much time and energy do you wish to deploy?

Anyone try Cosmoline?   https://www.cosmolinedirect.com/cosmoline-rp-342-heavy-spray-military-grade-rust-preventive/

8 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Matt 6:19 “Stop storing up for yourselves treasures on the earth, where moth and rust consume and where thieves break in and steal.

31 pages on this topic reduced. You can slow it. You can't stop it. Nature is always trying to reduce things to their lowest state of energy. The only real question is how much time and energy do you wish to deploy?

Anyone try Cosmoline?   https://www.cosmolinedirect.com/cosmoline-rp-342-heavy-spray-military-grade-rust-preventive/

Cosmoline is some nasty stuff.  Had to clean that off equipment that we got in while I was in the Air Force.  Sticky nasty stuff that was hard to get off so it would be great but then it would also attract dust and dirt.

AMSOIL's Heavy-Duty Metal Protector would be a good choice to coat underneath a vehicle. 

AMH.thumb.jpg.0111c6f12266fc661597b71c25c988f4.jpg

Edited by Black02Silverado

On 10/22/2018 at 12:47 AM, Grumpy Bear said:

I've used it and I like it, goes on a little thicker than the Amsoil or Fluid Film. Seems to last a little longer. Then again with it being thicker it may not weep into the various crevice (that those other companies claim is important).

And I agree, you can't stop rust, but you can slow it down quit a bit with effort. One good thing...it takes a lot to rust these frames to the point where it'll fail inspection or need a piece welded in...so yearly maintenance should only help.

1 hour ago, Doublebase said:

I've used it and I like it, goes on a little thicker than the Amsoil or Fluid Film. Seems to last a little longer. Then again with it being thicker it may not weep into the various crevice (that those other companies claim is important).

And I agree, you can't stop rust, but you can slow it down quit a bit with effort. One good thing...it takes a lot to rust these frames to the point where it'll fail inspection or need a piece welded in...so yearly maintenance should only help.

Agreed!! Thanks for the feedback. Nice to get it first hand from a user. 

• 1 month later...
On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 6:00 AM, Black02Silverado said:

Cosmoline is some nasty stuff.  Had to clean that off equipment that we got in while I was in the Air Force.  Sticky nasty stuff that was hard to get off so it would be great but then it would also attract dust and dirt.

:lol:  Kind of the point...isn't it? :lol:

• 2 months later...

Need some advice. Almost through third salty winter on my 16 1500. As soon as mid April rolls around I plan get some of the daubert x12 stuff, wire brush off as much as I can, and spray the heck out of my frame. Once that is done, I found out there is a Known shop just down the street from my office. The daubert should make the frame look better cosmetically, and hopefully the Krown treatment will keep everything from getting any worse. How does my plan sound? Suggestions?5f4681540a7958f95af97cc7d47ddf30.jpg5ad113f8dcf459fbac79cc4929358a71.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Need some advice. Almost through third salty winter on my 16 1500. As soon as mid April rolls around I plan get some of the daubert x12 stuff, wire brush off as much as I can, and spray the heck out of my frame. Once that is done, I found out there is a Known shop just down the street from my office. The daubert should make the frame look better cosmetically, and hopefully the Krown treatment will keep everything from getting any worse. How does my plan sound? Suggestions?5f4681540a7958f95af97cc7d47ddf30.jpg5ad113f8dcf459fbac79cc4929358a71.jpg

I spent a ton of time and money on rust mitigation for my heavily rusted 2014 frame. I used a needle scaler, grinder, wire wheel, strong solvents, rust pre-treatments, spraying POR-15 and then rubberized undercoating. I easily put 50 hours of labor into it only to have the frame totaled 5 months later in an accident. I wouldn’t do it the same way again.

If I was you, I would start by degreasing and power-washing the frame. Then use a hand wire brush to get any rust chunks off. Then spray Rust-Oleum Rust Reformer on the spots that are rusted. After that’s done and dried properly, I would spray Rust-Oleum Professional Rubberized Undercoating on the entire frame, even over the wax. That product adheres very well but can have a chalky appearance so I would top coat with the non professional version of Rust-Oleum Rubberized Undercoating which is a bit darker and sticks well to the professional version.

Definitely get the truck sprayed with Krown. If you notice more wax falling off later on, I would spray it with the rust reformer and rubberized undercoatings rather than more of the Daubert Nox-Rust X121B.

I spent a ton of time and money on rust mitigation for my heavily rusted 2014 frame. I used a needle scaler, grinder, wire wheel, strong solvents, rust pre-treatments, spraying POR-15 and then rubberized undercoating. I easily put 50 hours of labor into it only to have the frame totaled 5 months later in an accident. I wouldn’t do it the same way again.

If I was you, I would start by degreasing and power-washing the frame. Then use a hand wire brush to get any rust chunks off. Then spray Rust-Oleum Rust Reformer on the spots that are rusted. After that’s done and dried properly, I would spray Rust-Oleum Professional Rubberized Undercoating on the entire frame, even over the wax. That product adheres very well but can have a chalky appearance so I would top coat with the non professional version of Rust-Oleum Rubberized Undercoating which is a bit darker and sticks well to the professional version.

Definitely get the truck sprayed with Krown. If you notice more wax falling off later on, I would spray it with the rust reformer and rubberized undercoatings rather than more of the Daubert Nox-Rust X121B.

STOP! [emoji1630] Do not recommend doing ANY RUBBER COATINGS! They hold moisture and without realizing it you’re actually making it worse! There are special chemical applications available but prevention is the key such as ACF50 Anti-Corrosion. In addition, look up special marine application paint, used on ships, protecting against sea water and air too

Sent from above

STOP! [emoji1630] Do not recommend doing ANY RUBBER COATINGS! They hold moisture and without realizing it you’re actually making it worse! There are special chemical applications available but prevention is the key such as ACF50 Anti-Corrosion. In addition, look up special marine application paint, used on ships, protecting against sea water and air too

Sent from above

It’s asphalt

It’s asphalt

You said rubberized coating spray. Any rubberized coating used to cover metal will trap moisture completely rusting out the frame. Look into the Marine Grade Primer and Paint, excellent results

Sent from above