Just picked up my truck from my local GM dealership to deal with the flaking undercoat/rust issue. Not only did they clean it and respray the entire underside of the truck, but they also re-sprayed the interior fabric protection as well. There was nothing wrong with this, but they decided to do it. Thought they handled this issue very well. They think the flaking/rusting may have started when someone put the truck on a hoist while the spray had initially just been applied; could have been at the dealership or factory, they don't know. Doesn't matter - They made things right!

Before and after pics?

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like they are just spraying over the rust? I'm a little skeptical that the shops are cleaning the metal, prepping it, and then spraying.

I hope I'm wrong..

They sent it to a local company to clean and prep the metal prior to re-spraying it. The first image I posted was the "before" shot, and the other three were the "after."

• Like 1

They sent it to a local company to clean and prep the metal prior to re-spraying it. The first image I posted was the "before" shot, and the other three were the "after."

That's a little more reassuring. I did the Krown rust protection on my 2016, and opted into the dealership corrosion kit - because it was the only way they would cover the paint. I'll keep everyone posted as I live in the worst climate ever where we use excessive amounts of sand and sand on the roads here.

• 2 months later...

Do you folks have success with the Nox-Rust for touching up spots? I'm proud of my '15 frame, it looks great after 2 VT winters. (My 2010 frame was completely peeling and rusting all over by 30k miles) The only trouble spots are from where the dealership puts it on the lift. I'm thinking about spot sanding the rust and either spraying oil, chassis saver, or getting some Nox-Rust. Wonder what the best option is?

Had the local dealer redo mine. They did the frame and that looks nice but all the suspension parts still look crappy. Better that it was though, I don't plan on keeping it more than a few years anyway.

• Like 1

I bought my 2014 a few weeks ago, 50k miles, it was bought new up North before me. I didn't even think to look under the truck until this past weekend. The whole frame is rusted or spotted with rust. Wondering what I should do about it if anything... I didn't buy it at a Chevy dealership, but could I take it to one to see what they say? It's not a new truck so I dunno if TSB or whatever applies, haha.

Edited by Jadis

I would buy a wire brush kit you attach to a cordless drill, clean off as much rust as you can, then paint over with permatex rust stopper or similar product. Then finish with a zinc infused black spray paint. You will have to do annual touchups but your frame will look brand new forever. Don't bother with replaceable components like suspension. They will be replaced eventually.

The Daubert NOX rust works great to touch up the frame, but spray paint is more durable against rock chips etc.

Also a putty knife works great to scrape off the existing wax garbage if it's already a lost cause to save. I can only recommend the NOX Rust 121b if you only need to touch up small portions. If the frame is a lost cause just wire brush the hell out of it and paint it

I bought my 2014 a few weeks ago, 50k miles, it was bought new up North before me. I didn't even think to look under the truck until this past weekend. The whole frame is rusted or spotted with rust. Wondering what I should do about it if anything... I didn't buy it at a Chevy dealership, but could I take it to one to see what they say? It's not a new truck so I dunno if TSB or whatever applies, haha.

I don't think it matters where it came from, it's still going to be rusty. I bought my '14 in November last year with 33k miles. Previous owner was a border patrol officer here in Texas so he always drove his govt. vehicle. Mine still had rust on the frame that I sanded off and painted with rust oleum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk