I am in edmonton, I work for lakewood chev now in service, gonna be able to get the diamond kote tdon at a discounted price while I am at work.

I have sandblasted the most visible area like right at the rim of the coilover mount, sprayed it with matte finishing rust paint from princess auto. To be honest, looks brand new there. I did blast more area, it is pretty much all the way around the outer edge of he frame. Took me two days after work.

Truck will be on a hoist and they will spray diamond kote underbody coating which also adds sound proofing to road noise

I think diamond cote is identical to armaguard. Under the body got sprayed as well and looks even better than the frame.

Matte black spray paint is actually a good idea. I already have rustguard paint primer as well. Might have to try the matte paint as a good finishing touch in tougher to reach spots I don't want to spray the rubberized coating.

Pm me some pics of before and after of your work! Interested to see how it looks.

• Like 2

Funny my fluid film'ed frame looks great yet. Wax hasn't peeled off like the some guys swore up and down would happen.

My fluid film was gone after the first winter...it needs done every year just like anything else, it isn't a once and done solution.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

My fluid film was gone after the first winter...it needs done every year just like anything else, it isn't a once and done solution.

There are no permanent solutions outside of epoxy-based paints like POR-15.

No such thing as a once and done solution outside of POR15. Once a year application in your driveway at an average cost for usd$20 is a small price to pay for a clean vehicle. There isn' t truck on the market today that you can just ignore de-icers like road salt or magnesium chloride. Want a rust-free vehicle? Climb under it and do basic maintenace. I used FF once or twice per year and wash my truck maybe three times all winter yet my frame looks immaculate compared to some guys posting in this threaad that have gone back to the dealer for multiple hack-job wax applications.

Edited by HondaHawkGT

Agree, but the tone of your original post was like fluid film was the cure...it isn't, and I even had the professional thick bodied version installed. I just got done installing a muffler on my 2012, I have less rust at 80k than some of the photos in this thread off the lot.

I think my biggest complaint with the OE coating is that it peels off for lack of adhesion...that's bad surface prep before application.

• 2 weeks later...

Just like kenworth semis have had the same issues for years there frames are oil soaked to keep them from rusting before paint but they do not prep them properly still today paint is falling off them in six mounths don't understand it but prob not likely to change

• 1 month later...

This is my first post. Ive got a 2015 Silverado crew cab , when I noticed the wax coat peeling in some areas I looked to the forum. I just want to thank the guys who have said to treat the rust on your own. After a couple hours of wire brushing and applying a rust neutralizer I put rustoleum flat black for a finish cote . I'm glad I did it on my own because I would not have been happy if the dealership sprayed undercote and called it good. I had a 1994 Silverado that rusted to the point that when I put it on a lift at my buddy's garage the truck cracked in half like an egg . The previous owner kept undercoating the frame and I assume the rubber just holds the moisture and creates havoc on the frame. Hoping a little elbow grease a couple times a year will keep it strong and looking good.

• 2 weeks later...

the frames aren't going to rust through, its an aesthetic issue.

Not sure where you live, but frame rot and rust through is a real issue in the snow/rust belts. I've seen truck buckle in half behind the cab from frame rot...

I just got mine back from having the frame stripped and recoated under the tsb. Happy with it, just hope it lasts longer than the original coat

I noticed mine doing the exact same, the waxy coating was just flaking off and frame rusted worse than what some of you guys are posting.

Just called the dealership and they will not cover this under my warranty.

Just wondering for those that had the dealership "fix" this issue what it costs?

dc2e256c9ae45a105f5fe9f72b40c27c.jpg

I haven't sprayed mine with oil in two years...2012, 90k miles, Pennsylvania rust belt...that pict is from today. If you want them to last, take matters into your own hands. Cost me less than $20 for the sprayer, I use drain oil from the trans, power steering, and differentials. There are also guys that will oil undercoat locally for about $50.

I tried fluid film, it washed off in a lot of spots within one winter. The wax coat shriveled up and peeled off in a lot of spots after the fluid film was sprayed.

I have owned vehicles that were Ziebart coated, that worked ok, but eventually that caused rust since they only coat certain parts with wax, the rest is a traditional undercoat that traps water.

I've used QuakerCoat by Quakerstate, it did alright but is pretty thick and I don't even know if it's produced anymore.

The only thing I have found that works for me is oil undercoating. Once it traps some dirt/dust, it builds a body that remains wet...that becomes your undercoating. It's not pretty, it's not clear, and it's obviously not for everyone...I don't have this truck to show, I have it to work.

Again, just my experience. YMMV.