• 2 weeks later...

My 2015 had some frame rust and the parrafin/wax was flaking off.

There's a TSB as some others have indicated and my Dealer (Del Chevy in Paoli, PA) took the truck back and put a rubberized petroleum style undercoating on it.
Problem solved and if there's any little areas missed I hit it with Rustoleum Undercoating.

My 2015 had some frame rust and the parrafin/wax was flaking off.

There's a TSB as some others have indicated and my Dealer (Del Chevy in Paoli, PA) took the truck back and put a rubberized petroleum style undercoating on it.

Problem solved and if there's any little areas missed I hit it with Rustoleum Undercoating.

How long did that take to do?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

So called the dealership today as they had my truck for a week. They told me they got no work done as they are waiting on a part. This is the second time I dropped my truck and they did nothing waiting for fora park to fix the rust. Best part is they scheduled me a time for to drop the truck off and a loaner. I was told I would get a call today with some status at close end and nothing. They been waiting for parts for 2 months when I initially came to them. This is beyond acceptable. I called another dealership and they told me they do it all the time and have a bay devoted to it and can have it done in a single day or 2. I'm going to pick up my truck tonight. Toss the keys to whatever sales men and flip them off.

So called the dealership today as they had my truck for a week. They told me they got no work done as they are waiting on a part. This is the second time I dropped my truck and they did nothing waiting for fora park to fix the rust. Best part is they scheduled me a time for to drop the truck off and a loaner. I was told I would get a call today with some status at close end and nothing. They been waiting for parts for 2 months when I initially came to them. This is beyond acceptable. I called another dealership and they told me they do it all the time and have a bay devoted to it and can have it done in a single day or 2. I'm going to pick up my truck tonight. Toss the keys to whatever sales men and flip them off.

Incredible...

So called the new dealership and they said the tsb work can only be down at the place you bought the vehicle as it is major work. Requires the bed to be taken off, etc.

What does everyone think?

I last night I went to pick up my old truck and speak to my sales rep as he was closing the place down. The service department was closed. I will going there now to speak to the manager and to get my key back.

So called the new dealership and they said the tsb work can only be down at the place you bought the vehicle as it is major work. Requires the bed to be taken off, etc.

I last night I went to pick up my old truck and speak to my sales rep as he was closing the place down. The service department was closed. I will going there now to speak to the manager and to get my key back.

That sounds like a load of crap to me. Your vehicle is covered under the same warranty nationwide.

• Like 1

That sounds like a load of crap to me. Your vehicle is covered under the same warranty nationwide.

That's what I thought but I didn't want to argue since I didn't read it all. I think he doesn't want to do the work.

I have a tough time believing this as well. I dropped my truck off 500 km away from my regular dealer and they had no issue doing this work. It was supposed to be ready on the 9th or 10th but I haven't received a call yet. I must say I'm a little nervous about this repair, especially since this is the first one that this dealer has performed.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone new here and first time getting frame "recoated" from dealer, be prepared for the disappointment within a year. Only thing that will fix this issue is a new replacement frame with higher quality coating or having someone completely strip and restore frame to higher standard.

Anyone new here and first time getting frame "recoated" from dealer, be prepared for the disappointment within a year. Only thing that will fix this issue is a new replacement frame with higher quality coating or having someone completely strip and restore frame to higher standard.

Higher standard? :crackup:

There is only one standard here - to produce these trucks as cheap as possible and sell them for as much money as possible, thus maximizing the profits. Everything else is just a myth.

Remember, this is the company that has eliminated radiator petcocks and rear differential drain plugs just to save afew bucks on each truck. If they can save $20 per truck by not paying the frame supplier for cleaning and coating the frames properly before shipping them to the assembly plant, do you have any doubts as to why these frames rust?

Edited by pm26

Higher standard? :crackup:

There is only one standard here - to produce these trucks as cheap as possible and sell them for as much money as possible, thus maximizing the profits. Everything else is just a myth.

Remember, this is the company that has eliminated radiator petcocks and rear differential drain plugs just to save afew bucks on each truck. If they can save $20 per truck by not paying the frame supplier for cleaning and coating the frames properly before shipping them to the assembly plant, do you have any doubts as to why these frames rust?

No need to explain the manufacturing industry, I've worked from maintenance to technician to automation machine designer for almost 20 years.

"having someone completely strip and restore frame to higher standard."

Meaning to have a private shop, automotive restoration company, or collision center to remove frame, strip to bare metal and apply more durable coating. I've been around classic cars and large trucks for many years, there are some great looking and/or durable finishes available. Of course, this would be out of your own pocket cost, which sucks. I chose to get what I could out of dealer until warranty expires. It is embarrassing when I have a 2004 GM car with 340,000km with only signs of paint bubbling underneath parked next to a 2014 GM truck with only 34,000km and 50% rusted frame.

No need to explain the manufacturing industry, I've worked from maintenance to technician to automation machine designer for almost 20 years.

"having someone completely strip and restore frame to higher standard."

Meaning to have a private shop, automotive restoration company, or collision center to remove frame, strip to bare metal and apply more durable coating. I've been around classic cars and large trucks for many years, there are some great looking and/or durable finishes available. Of course, this would be out of your own pocket cost, which sucks. I chose to get what I could out of dealer until warranty expires. It is embarrassing when I have a 2004 GM car with 340,000km with only signs of paint bubbling underneath parked next to a 2014 GM truck with only 34,000km and 50% rusted frame.

I know what you meant, of course there are ways to completely redo the frame to a like new condition. I am just expressing my dissatisfaction with how GM looks at car/truck quality lately vs profits. It is sad that they stooped to this level considering how much these vehicles cost.

I have a 1985 Mercedes 300D turbodiesel sedan with factory RTV like material encapsulating the entire underbody, still in great shape and not peeling, and no rust.

Edited by pm26

My dealer wants to have a sit down meeting with me prior to doing this work. They want to set expectations because this touch up fix isn't a fix, it is an appeasement.

I have rust down the complete weld seem of the frame...it's ridiculous.

My dealer wants to have a sit down meeting with me prior to doing this work. They want to set expectations because this touch up fix isn't a fix, it is an appeasement.

I have rust down the complete weld seem of the frame...it's ridiculous.

Do you expect a rust free frame for a mere $ 45K?