9 hours ago, ShamrockShooter said:

I'm not really sure I see the point in any of the applications. All the frame has little holes an cutouts so you can spray the outside all you want to look pretty, but the inside where you can see or spray will be just as rusty as the outside was. Am I off base on that?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

It is important to flush out the frame with a garden hose at least once a year to prevent accumulation of dirt and debris that can lead to rot inside the frame.

• 1 month later...
On 12/2/2017 at 12:35 PM, Akamule said:

2014.  Had around 30k when I took that picture

Damn mine looks the same as yours. Are you planning on doing anything? I've considered taking a wire wheel on a drill to the frame under the truck and then painting with POR-15 but I dunno if it's worth the hassle.

Has anybody had the thought that maybe wax dipping is the future? You cannot stop nature from creating rust, fords trying with their beer can body's, but sorry shit decays. I had the moment when I noticed surface rust on my 56k truck, but then I realized it's surface rust, I live in the salt belt, and about the only thing I can do is what I did with my 04 and religiously wash it..in the end my 04 had mild rust, but in the 13 years of life it never looked like the titanic
The wax coat frame is a grand idea, and I bet it would work just fine...GM seems to have an adhesion issue, which is a preparation problem and not an issue with the coating itself.

Steve
2012 2500hd

On 1/12/2018 at 2:16 PM, Jadis said:

Damn mine looks the same as yours. Are you planning on doing anything? I've considered taking a wire wheel on a drill to the frame under the truck and then painting with POR-15 but I dunno if it's worth the hassle.

Had the dealer recoat it because it was still under the 3yr 36k.

On 1/13/2018 at 7:32 AM, Beer Belly said:

Do you launch a Boat ?....that looks pretty extensive

No boat, the truck was driven by a salesman at the dealer before I bought it so I’m guessing it just got driven in salt and never washed.

yeah but how many of those car washes have undercarriage wash things as well?  So much salt and chemicals get up under the truck and can eat at things that way. 
If it was the dealer I worked at, it got hand washed nearly every day.

Steve
2012 2500hd

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 17 sierra, just looked the other day, slight spot of rust where the jack/hoist touches the frame.  Seems anywhere the wax coating is disturbed will rust very quickly. I had a 2015 Silverado, got a Krown oil undercoating done. never had any rust for the 2 years I owned it even with winter road salt.  I plan to get my new truck done soon.

Like already stated, it helps to regularly spray off the undercarriage especially if you live in an area that uses road salt. Highly recommend getting a rust proofing spray done.  (not fluid film though as from what I have heard will melt the wax off all together)

• 3 weeks later...

Just purchased a 2018 silverado 2500 hd a month ago and now noticing some surface rust on the frame in a few spots. Factory wax is not as bad as the 2013 gmc sierra 1500 I purchased new. I wanted to get the line-x undercoating but wasn't 100% sold and did not want to void the factory rust warranty, if that really matters. What would be the best course of action to stop this mild surface rust dead in its tracks?

Forget undercoating......just spray any rust areas with Rust-Oleum RUST REFORMER comes in a spray can. Instantly converts rust to a protected surface....chemically converts the iron oxide to a rustproof compound with a flat black finish matching the existing frame coating. Sprayed the few rusted frame contact areas 2 Winters ago and still good.

• Like 2

Forget undercoating......just spray any rust areas with Rust-Oleum RUST REFORMER comes in a spray can. Instantly converts rust to a protected surface....chemically converts the iron oxide to a rustproof compound with a flat black finish matching the existing frame coating. Sprayed the few rusted frame contact areas 2 Winters ago and still good.
Is this the right stuff? Box of 6. Thanks man!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M0NT53S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_GL.NAbN7N31ES