On 3/19/2019 at 12:19 AM, Mozzer said:

They use some liquid with molasses & some other stuff round here (Vernon, British Columbia) when it isn't too cold. That stays on the road when put down before snowfall rather than flying off like the salt.

No idea what molasses do for rust though.emoji848.png

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

We just got a good rainfall the other day, it was badly needed to remove some of the salt residue on the roads. It looks like winter is almost over where I am, although you never know...last April 15th we got a few inches, and of course the road brime and salt stayed around until May.

I really am kind of on a quest to keep this truck "rust free", or close to it. How long I'll be on this kick I don't know. Lol. But right now I'm still hot on it. I'm actually excited to get under it and clean up some spots and apply another coat of protection. I think I'm getting really weird. I go through these fazes.

• 3 months later...

I have a 2015. I live in MA, made a point of washing off salt during the winter months, didn't do much good,  29k on odometer frame is rusting, it's past the 3 year bumper to bumper so I guess I'm out of luck..

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/27/2019 at 3:59 PM, jimlenk62 said:

I have a 2015. I live in MA, made a point of washing off salt during the winter months, didn't do much good,  29k on odometer frame is rusting, it's past the 3 year bumper to bumper so I guess I'm out of luck..

It's only cosmetic but i do agree it looks poor when it browns up and flakes off leaving rust patches. Gm has been this way since i started driving back in the early 90's, all my trucks after a couple years living in mass also have turned that way with the wax coating they have used for decades. One thing though at least i have never had a single issue with frame rot, rust yes but not rot thankfully.

• 1 month later...

What does everyone do about winter prep for the trucks? The wax is slowly falling off of mine. So I was thinking of cleaning it then sealing it was a rust prevention chemical and then reapplying the wax again? Is that worth doing or is better to paint the areas of the frame I clean with actual paint?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, Rock1500 said:

What does everyone do about winter prep for the trucks? The wax is slowly falling off of mine. So I was thinking of cleaning it then sealing it was a rust prevention chemical and then reapplying the wax again? Is that worth doing or is better to paint the areas of the frame I clean with actual paint?

The wax is useless IMO.

If you prep and apply a protective coat (1000s of options), combined with spray on rust-inhibitor - I think you will have the best results. The rust-inhibitors can be wax based, or oil based. Some have negative results due to the oil in them, which tends to swell different types of rubbers. Hoses and grommets and bushings are places to avoid the oil-based ones.

The main points where the rust starts to form will be edges, bends, or the points where the lift contacts on the chassis. The tubular support going through each chassis rail is a very susceptible location.

You will not fully prevent rust, just slow the process. So dont get too frustrated with rust. It will be an ongoing process for the life of your vehicle. However, there are lots of ways to manage and reduce the rust, focus more on those!

Edited by tanner709

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

GMC = RUST

Both bumpers had rust through ( from the inside out ) within a year of ownership.... dealer replaced both and told me I should have waxed it.

Had the frame wax recall treatment.... it lasted two years. found out it is a one time deal...... even if put on incorrectly.    You can see where the pads from the lift contacted the frame before it had set up.....   in a hurry ????

On 6/28/2018 at 5:53 PM, EnviroGreensolutions said:

You should be using Kryptonite Metal Treatment which is what GMC suggest you use for any corrosion, we are the only authorized product for it, we currently sell a bundle package with has the PurePrep + 3 cans Kryptonite you can purchase it on our website or on amazon.com

Best of luck!

EnvirogreenSolutions.com

That is what my dealer used......   it lasted 3 years and it is now peeling off......

They told me it was a one time treatment covered.... and now offered to use a rubberized undercoating    no charge.  

Any opinions ?

On 6/28/2018 at 5:53 PM, EnviroGreensolutions said:

6 hours ago, Whatever64 said:

That is what my dealer used......   it lasted 3 years and it is now peeling off......

They told me it was a one time treatment covered.... and now offered to use a rubberized undercoating    no charge.  

Any opinions ?

Stay away from rubberized undercoating that's all I can say on the matter.

On 10/23/2019 at 4:02 PM, High Country 6.2L/8 said:

Stay away from rubberized undercoating that's all I can say on the matter.

The dealer said rubberized and gave me the name Cal-Tex. On line it says it is " A paraffin-based material, our Rust Inhibitor keeps moisture from corroding inner body panels from the inside out. Not only does Rust Inhibitor help reduce rust and corrosion, but it also helps protect against salt and humidity. "

20 minutes ago, Whatever64 said:

The dealer said rubberized and gave me the name Cal-Tex. On line it says it is " A paraffin-based material, our Rust Inhibitor keeps moisture from corroding inner body panels from the inside out. Not only does Rust Inhibitor help reduce rust and corrosion, but it also helps protect against salt and humidity. "

I have something similar that dealer applied when new and apparently is GM approved whatever that means lol

Some of us oil undercoat, speaking of which; I have to get done next week...

That's the only thing I've found that works in the salt belt...when I lived in the snow belt, I sprayed once a year; now I live just south of the snow belt and spray once every two years.

I have very little rust on my truck's frame and no rust on body panels, it's a 2012 with 170k miles.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, sdeeter19555 said:

Some of us oil undercoat, speaking of which; I have to get done next week...

That's the only thing I've found that works in the salt belt...when I lived in the snow belt, I sprayed once a year; now I live just south of the snow belt and spray once every two years.

I have very little rust on my truck's frame and no rust on body panels, it's a 2012 with 170k miles.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Have a 17 dealer did the undercoating from new plus a rust module no rust yet and I live in Nova Scotia where there's lots of winter salt