HID Headlight Bulbs / HID Projector Retrofit

I'm looking to see the rear of the GMC lights. I don't know if they are just like the Silverado bellow or not. I also don't know if people have to cut them when they put the 2.5" retro projectors in like we do on the Silverado.

2013-12-22130908_zps5763f731.jpg

Alright HID gurus I need some advice. I am going to order my HID kit and have been on the fence about retrofitting to FX-R. I thought of something today that worries me. If I retrofit my Silverado with FX-R that will leave me with D2S bulbs/sockets. I use my truck a lot to tow my travel trailer. We do several long trips per year (next summer its WI to Yellowstone) and I got to thinking what if my HID goes out while on the road. If I retrofit to FX-R I could not just throw my stock H11 bulbs in. If I use the Silverado specific HID kit with H11 and OEM projectors I could carry my stock bulbs just in case. Last thing I want is to be in SD or MT next summer with no headlights. Anyone have an idea for me. I admit I'm not that familar with all the HID adapters etc.

I get the reliability and would order a trs kit. Any work around my concern.

A quality HID is much more reliable. But if you are concerned about that "what if" still, then I would just order a spare lightbulb or 2. If something happens you just change out to a new one! Problem solved

• Like 1

The thing about a HID kit is; the reliability is as much about the installation as the parts themselves.

For example: I put the TRS kit on quickly, with the idea it was temporary. I tiewrapped the double relays to another harness and they hung with the connector side up. Well, I started having relay problems and traced it to water intrusion in the relay. The one relay connector seal allowed water into the relay an toasted it, twice. I shouldn't have hung it upside down and the seal shouldn't leak and I should put some dielectric grease on the seal, etc..

Edited by spurshot

Just re ordered another HID kit. This time the morimoto kit from TRS.. hopefully I don't have near as many problems as I did with my DDM kit..

Edit: Nevermind, A couple pieces in the Sierra kit are backordered..

Edited by Btreyu09

I just got my morimoto sierra spec xb35 kit from TRS installed today. The lights work great at night. When the DRLs are on the lights work good no flickering just a terrible buzzing noise. I believe the capacitor was installed in the correct spot. This is my first HID kit and I can't figure it out for the life of me. Thank you