Dealer called today. GM has sent a steering gear to install. Couple hours they said. Let's see what happens.

I am guessing that after some driving the download was of no help for the pull issue.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No help at all on the pull. I am hoping that if the steering gear is worn that replacement will fix the pull and wander. The update had actually been in there a month already, even the area rep got to drive it with the update in there we just didn't know it was installed.

Well, the "steering gear" is actually the entire assembly, the tie rods, rack, pinion, motor. It's a one piece unit they changed it all. Service advisor says since my truck was such an early build it had a prototype steering gear. The new one was slightly different. I saw the old one, so at least I know it is changed. It was really gusty on the way home, so I couldn't really say the pull was any better, but it didn't seem to wander.

Fingers crossed.

So you actually got the whole steering gear replaced huh? damn, I dont have the time or patience to hash that one out with the dealer.

I didn't ask, I just got a call from the dealer and they said GM had sent it and when could they get the truck to install. It was a surprise. I haven't driven it enough to say it fixed anything yet.

I didn't ask, I just got a call from the dealer and they said GM had sent it and when could they get the truck to install. It was a surprise. I haven't driven it enough to say it fixed anything yet.

Hmm very interesting.

I have had a few days to drive the truck and I have to say that it is better. The pull to the left is gone I am pretty sure (this has been better at times before but this has been better since they put the steering gear on). Had a message on the machine when I got home from the service advisor asking how the truck was so I called him back and told him. Pull is gone, but the wander is still there, but better, maybe 50%. I think the dealer has gone as far as it can.

I took some pictures of the frame rust and coating falling off that I will try to post in a minute. I sent them to the service advisor at the dealer to forward to the area rep per his request. After taking the pictures I made up my mind I am done with this truck. It was worse than I thought. I just do not have it in me anymore to keep fighting it. If GM doesn't treat me right I will be done with them. Not angry, just done. At 7000 miles, this has just turned my stomach...

Customer service rep called me after I email the pictures. She didn't get them, it was just a coincidence. She's been great to be honest, but I think what a lot of us do not understand, at least I didn't, is that this not a one party system. More like a check and balance between the dealer, the area rep and customer service. Take that for what it is worth.

Hope this gallery works lol

I am guessing that after some driving the download was of no help for the pull issue.

I should clarify that after the update I did not have the steering bind in cold weather, which was just as cold if not colder than when it did bind. So the update may actually work.

So after some back and forth the dealership can finally hear the clicking in my steering column. It's on and off but for sure something you can hear. Says it may be shaft that needs lube or steering column. So well see. But this makes lucky # 7 dealer visit in 5 months of owning this truck.

I had a 1998 Silverado that had an alignment issue. Never could get it fixed, multiple dealers, multiple 3rd party repair guys. Always pulled, no matter what. Frustrating! I personally believe it was a frame alignment problem. I hear frame warping and damage occurs a LOT from shipment of the truck to your dealership.

I have also noticed that my 2015 truck doesn't seem as well planted on the road as past Chevy's I've had. I had a 2011 Z71 before and it was amazingly solid on the road. Up to 40 MPH side wind, and I would not even know it. That truck LOVED going straight down the road. My 2015 doesn't. Just a slight change in road level and the truck needs correction to go straight. Not a big deal, as it still seems better than some vehicles I've owned in the past. But just sad to see this change in "quality" in the trucks. Overall though I do like the steering better now with the electric assist, at least in terms of maneuverability in town and in parking lots etc.

I had a 1998 Silverado that had an alignment issue. Never could get it fixed, multiple dealers, multiple 3rd party repair guys. Always pulled, no matter what. Frustrating! I personally believe it was a frame alignment problem. I hear frame warping and damage occurs a LOT from shipment of the truck to your dealership.

I have also noticed that my 2015 truck doesn't seem as well planted on the road as past Chevy's I've had. I had a 2011 Z71 before and it was amazingly solid on the road. Up to 40 MPH side wind, and I would not even know it. That truck LOVED going straight down the road. My 2015 doesn't. Just a slight change in road level and the truck needs correction to go straight. Not a big deal, as it still seems better than some vehicles I've owned in the past. But just sad to see this change in "quality" in the trucks. Overall though I do like the steering better now with the electric assist, at least in terms of maneuverability in town and in parking lots etc.

What you are describing is typical of EPAS on pretty much any vehicle. These steering systems are incredibly sensitive to road slope and crowning. I prefer the traditional hydraulic rack and pinion of yesteryear, much like your 2007. Hell, I even miss the Hydraulic pitman and idler setup from my 2002 Silverado. I had Cognito parts in that truck plus a good quality steering stabilizer (had a 6" lift and 33" tires) and that thing was solid on the road....never should have gotten rid of that truck.

What you are describing is typical of EPAS on pretty much any vehicle. These steering systems are incredibly sensitive to road slope and crowning.

Yeah, I should have mentioned that. The earlier truck would move toward the left though, not the right so in that case it wasn't the road crown issue. Any good vehicle should be able to handle the crown IMHO, and most do. Usually GM trucks I've driven did handle the crown very nicely. I have read where the new electric assist steering is supposed to sense and act against the crown leaning of the road, but not sure if that actually works or not as it seems hard to tell. The trucks do have tilt sense ability, as seen in the DIC in some of the models. So it makes sense that it should be able to make minor changes to keep steering more in line with the road in cases like this. One features I'd like to see is the ability for the owner to adjust the amount of power assist. No reason why this could not be done in the new electric assist setup. I understand and appreciate the "feel of the road" concept, but suffering from carpal tunnel issues lately, I'd love to add a little more assist to the wheel these days. They did that in a review of the steering here: http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/05/driving-a-pickup-with-electric-power-steering.html

Had my truck at the dealer the last few days, primarily for oil change and scheduled maintenance. But I am also having them check out a few TSBs.

1. is the headlights which they found the tsb and are replacing the bulbs and reprogramming the bcm.

2. is a transmission update (i was kind of reaching on that one, but i figured I would have them work while I had it in)

3. is the steering update, which they have not found any documentation on.

Did you ever find out any more info on the steering update they did?

I have been driving a loaner 2015 the last few days and the steering in this truck is way better than mine. No wander, or drift left. Feels on center and fluid throughout turns.

Did you ever find out any more info on the steering update they did?

There were no numbers, was unaware they put it in until the next visit. The tech called TSC and they sent it to him. Beyond that, I don't know what else to tell you. Sorry.

Yes, the loaner I had was driving totally different as well. What tires are on the loaner?

Archived