Mysterious Dents & Crinkles Along Bed Fender

I have background as a manufacturing engineer from a past life. My guess, from reading this thread, is that there are stresses in the panel when cold formed in a press. When the panel is assembled and welded to the inner bed structure, the panel is subjected to additional stresses and relief of stresses by clamping and bending edges to fit the adjacent panel. And finally, some stresses are induced or relieved as installed and used on the truck.

You can often see these manufacturing stress areas under the hood or inside the bed up in the corners, where the factory didn't take the time to develop and refine the stamping dies to remove 100% of the ripples.

I'm not saying it's acceptable for a finish exterior panel. But I believe it is a stamping stress induced issue.

Another area of this is around the door handle pockets. Look at them critically and you'll get your blood pressure up.

Edited by spurshot

• 2 years later...

2018 Silverado 1500 z71 just seemed to pop up out of nowhere # small dent 2 on drivers side and 1 of passenger side. I noticed these appeared after I started hearing a clunking sound from the right rear of truck Went to GM dealer and they tightened a leafspring or something under the truck and the noise seemed to get better 2 days later, 3 dents appeared on top by bed rails. 17000 miles and I am pissed truck is black and you can easily see the dents Going back to GM dealer to see if the can fix this

7 hours ago, tootall2 said:

2018 Silverado 1500 z71 just seemed to pop up out of nowhere # small dent 2 on drivers side and 1 of passenger side. I noticed these appeared after I started hearing a clunking sound from the right rear of truck Went to GM dealer and they tightened a leafspring or something under the truck and the noise seemed to get better 2 days later, 3 dents appeared on top by bed rails. 17000 miles and I am pissed truck is black and you can easily see the dents Going back to GM dealer to see if the can fix this

Nobody mentioned the fact that the op has installed timbrens and is towing a camper large enough to require a fifth wheel hitch in a half ton truck, im guessing the suspension is collapsed enough while towing the large camper that the frame is essentially riding on the timbrens and actually causing enough flex or bounce to actually stress the quarter panel. Jmo.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...