2014 Silverado - Noisy Engine/Ticking

Let me start off by saying I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to vehicles. I purchased a 2014 Silverado z71 crew cab hoping for a reliable truck that would last me well beyond when I pay it off. I figured I would come to this site to ask people that are much more knowledgeable than I about an issue I am having.

I own a 2014 Chevy Silverado 5.3 with after market exhaust. The exhaust was put on the truck by a previous owner. At idle, the truck seems loud (and not from the exhaust) standing on the side of the truck by the front doors. I am not sure "ticking" is the right word, but that's about all I can come up with. I have heard some people talk about the DI causing this, but my brother also has a 5.3 and mine is way louder than his. It is almost embarrassing how loud it is when people are standing around it at idle because they are constantly pointing it out. My question is: Is this the direct injection, or could I possibly have another issue (such as an exhaust leak)? I have attached a video for anyone that has the time to listen and provide feedback.

A big thank you to anyone that takes the time to provide feedback. I am looking forward to checking out this website in the future and increasing my "truck smarts." Thanks again.

Here is a link to the video of my truck: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zK643x41t4g&feature=youtu.be

Edited by whodey1418

Can you post a video? DI engines are a bit noisier at idle, but shouldn't be anywhere close to embarrassing! It could be an exhaust leak.

Edited by jono20

• 1 year later...

Hey guys. Can anyone give me a 2nd opinion on this “ticking”, I just bought the truck with 87,000 on it, dealership said it’s normal but man is it loud. Didn’t seem this loud standing at the dealership with a freeway right next to it. Read all up on the DI noise, just really second guessing my purchase lol. Thanks

• 3 years later...
On 4/16/2019 at 11:55 PM, HighCountryRenner said:

Hey guys. Can anyone give me a 2nd opinion on this “ticking”, I just bought the truck with 87,000 on it, dealership said it’s normal but man is it loud. Didn’t seem this loud standing at the dealership with a freeway right next to it. Read all up on the DI noise, just really second guessing my purchase lol. Thanks

not sure if you’ll ever see this but i just got mine with 102,000 miles and it sounds the exact same. Just curious to see if any progress was made finding out of it’s a problem and if it’s “fixable.” 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/12/2022 at 5:49 PM, Austin B11 said:

not sure if you’ll ever see this but i just got mine with 102,000 miles and it sounds the exact same. Just curious to see if any progress was made finding out of it’s a problem and if it’s “fixable.” 

Not certain if this is THE common cause of 5.3L ticking, but check your spark plug boots.  The 'ticking' noise may be spark arcing inside of a loose boot.   I've heard people mention this, and there's a few Youtube videos discussing it as well.