4.3 Engine Stall/Surge At Startup

2015 Silverado Regular cab with 4.3 V6. Has just under 14,000 miles. The other day after work I drove to the store and was gone for about 15 min. I kept my phone plugged into the charger. Came out, started the truck and it acted like it was gasping for fuel. Almost like starting up an old lawn mower. It then started surging a few times until I hit the gas and gave it some real juice. Then it became normal. This has only happened one time but it scared me. The only thing different I've been doing lately is running E85 fuel. On my 3rd tank of E85. Temperature has been in the high 50s to mid 60s. So not sure. Any input? Was just inspected and had synthetic oil change two weeks ago.

E85 has a tendency to have this waxy substance build up in injectors and the high pressure fuel pump and at the metal screen at the bottom of the fuel fill tube. His can sometimes create a stumbling idle. Now, once the wax is there, there is no way to clean it. You would be looking at part replacement. I’ve worked on a ton of vehicles that have had this issue, particularly ones with low miles and are around a year or two old. I would never run E85 in anything, even if it supposedly E85 compliant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting. I've heard conflicting stories on E85 after a quick search. Some say it will clog injectors. Others claim it will clean out your engine better than any fuel additive ever could. The only place that sells E85 in my area is Sheetz. I was planning on going back to gas this month and throughout the winter months, then going back to E85 once it gets warm again.

Archived