Custom Tuner/getting a custom tune

4 hours ago, spenpet said:

thank you!  this makes perfect sense... and if i strip this down to an over simplified manner, it sounds like i can get slightly better gas mileage (or at least not worse) with some sort of better performance...without sacrificing reliability...this helps for sure!

Your welcome. I think you see it for what it is. Eyes wide open then. Have fun and check in and let us know how it goes. 

• Like 1

Back in the day we would add a shift kit to the transmission to increase performance and lengthen life. One of the reasons they don’t do that at the factory is most people would complain about the bump out of the transmission. We would advance the distributor (timing) to increase performance. We didn’t have to worry about top end or shift points and V-4-8 didn’t have that. Basic hand held tuners do that, they add a little feel and drivability to your ride. There’re pretty harmless. Custom tuning is where you can fine trouble, research is recommended. I found it worth it to me, I’m not in the habit of repeating mistakes. I been around long enough to use banks, gear venders, Vortec, Whipple, MSD, etc. In the 100-150K miles I generally drive my rides non of those mods or tweaks has lead to failures, just fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I can't speak directly to tuning the newer Ecotec engines, however I will say that in my 2008 Silverado with the 5.3 Vortec I had a Bully Dog tune on it and it was fun, it certainly unleashed a little more torque and made it more fun to drive. With that being said I currently own a 2014 Camaro 2SS with the 6.2L LS3, modified pretty heavily, headers, exhaust, throttle body, cam, etc. and on this wonderful GM vehicle that was untouched until around 5k miles ago I very recently had tuned to make the most out of the mods. It was worth every dollar of the $1200 I spent to have it professionally tuned on the Dyno and with people who knew what they were doing, some would call them professionals. I will soon be throwing a tune on my 5.3 Ecotec for sure, my last GMC had the 6.2 and had more than enough power so I didn't even bother with it. Let me know what you go with and what you think about it, all in all though I say TUNE AWAY! 

Happy driving! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/8/2017 at 10:44 AM, southern_sierra said:

I went with the Hypertech  Max Energy 2.0 mainly to turn off afm. I also set the throttle response to tow mode a 25% increase. I have had no more clucking or kicks in the ass or searching for gears in the trans. Fuel mileage my be down about 1/2 mile per gal.  I hated the afm form day one and got tired of driving in manual mode all the time. I'm happy with the performance of the engine and trans now.

I'm a rather conservative driver, and want/expect my vehicles to last for >150k miles.  This is my first truck (2017 5.3 4x4), but am surprised and worried about that same transmission "searching" and clunks that make me thing I'm wearing down what SHOULD be a smooth tranny.   It's basically the same in the 3 Sierra's I drove before buying, and in 2 more after.  I guess I was hoping it would work or "learn" it's way out, or I'd figure out how to avoid it, but it just concerns me every time I drive around town (1st --> 2nd --> 3rd and then back down are the real culprits). 

So......if ANY kind of a tune makes the tranny work SMOOTHER, then I'm all in, cost be damned.  I want a comfortable, smooth ride that at least gives me the impression it's going to last a long time.

Any other "conservative" drivers out there have this same positive experience southern_sierra has had post-tune??? 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, kevinfranklin said:

I'm a rather conservative driver, and want/expect my vehicles to last for >150k miles.  This is my first truck (2017 5.3 4x4), but am surprised and worried about that same transmission "searching" and clunks that make me thing I'm wearing down what SHOULD be a smooth tranny.   It's basically the same in the 3 Sierra's I drove before buying, and in 2 more after.  I guess I was hoping it would work or "learn" it's way out, or I'd figure out how to avoid it, but it just concerns me every time I drive around town (1st --> 2nd --> 3rd and then back down are the real culprits). 

So......if ANY kind of a tune makes the tranny work SMOOTHER, then I'm all in, cost be damned.  I want a comfortable, smooth ride that at least gives me the impression it's going to last a long time.

Any other "conservative" drivers out there have this same positive experience southern_sierra has had post-tune??? 

i'm a conservative driver also...here is my experience and some others with the 8 speed trans...

• Like 1

Thanks Spenpet!  That thread's issue seems VERY similar and related for sure, even if most (if not all) of those reprograms were for the 8sp and I (and others) have the 6sp tranny. 

I'll prob chime in on that thread since the subject line is more appropriate than this one...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, kevinfranklin said:

Thanks Spenpet!  That thread's issue seems VERY similar and related for sure, even if most (if not all) of those reprograms were for the 8sp and I (and others) have the 6sp tranny. 

I'll prob chime in on that thread since the subject line is more appropriate than this one...

sorry I don't have a better answer, i can only speculate that you might have a similar experience if the dealer reprograms...

• 2 years later...

If you do any modification whatsoever to your vehicle bigger tires gear change cold air intake Mufflers it's a must to get a tune otherwise your vehicle will not run properly and the speedo will be off. I run a trinity Diablo sport 1000 and it changed the whole way the truck acted I would never go back to stock.

22 minutes ago, Aric said:

If you do any modification whatsoever to your vehicle bigger tires gear change cold air intake Mufflers it's a must to get a tune otherwise your vehicle will not run properly and the speedo will be off. I run a trinity Diablo sport 1000 and it changed the whole way the truck acted I would never go back to stock.

An intake and muffler change don't require tuning. Been custom tuning vehicles for nearly 10 years with HP Tuners just for reference.

Larger tires is a good idea and a gear change is a must for tuning.

• Like 1

I just got a refurbished Diablo intune i3 on e-bay, for about $160 less than new. Loaded the 87 octane tune (you can keep stock tune and change other parameters like AFM etc), turned off DOD/AFM, increased throttle sensitivity 10%, firm shift trans tune. It did what I wanted it to do. I have absolutely HATED the AFM since day 1. I've been driving in M5 for over a year to avoid switching to 4 cylinder mode. I have my 6 speed trans back! I'm still considering a custom tune from DiabLew for driveability improvements. I too, do not want a race truck, just something that I enjoy driving. I'm getting close.

very happy with my tune from blackbear. 

truck runs and drives like it should. holds gears longer, no lugging around corners, stop light to stop light shifting 4 gears etc. it drives like a truck should. 

i run it on 93 all the time, regardless of the tune, it has 11:1 compression, and i didnt want any ****** on timing even with the stock tune. 

the tcm tune is spectacular in everyway. 

you dont need to hot rod around or have to hot rod around to have a tune. a tune can give you more power yea. but the drivability is what is really noticed. 

a tune is worth it in every way.

when i had mine tuned, i told them what i wanted, a good all around 93 tune and their popular and reliable tcm tune. i didnt say i wanted to burn tire, race, etc.  i dont drive like that. but i can tell you, it does burn tire way better and get up and go 10x better.