Hey what's up everyone. Not sure if this is where to ask this or not.  I'm looking to upgrade from a chevy 2002 1500 z71 to a 2500 chevy or gmc I've been looking from about 2004 and up. The biggest issue I'm trying to decide right now is gas or diesel. I am a mechanic but never worked or messed with diesels.

So I tow a open car trailer and racecar in the summer during race season right now about 6,000-7,000lbs depending on which car is on it. I do tow some other stuff here and there too. But I would like the ability to tow more and to have something better for long distance trips and driving/ towing in the mountains. Now mountain trips would probably be less then a handful of times a year. Unless we really decided we liked racing at the track out there then might go a few more times. I don't plan for the truck to be a daily driver. I've put about 20,000 on my 1500 I have now in the 8 years I've had it. About 2-3 years of that was daily driving. Now whatever I do get I plan on having for a good while probably at least 10+ years I would say.  And also want to be prepared if I ever upgrade to an enclosed trailer or ever got a camper etc..

What I do know right now is 6.0 is a gas hog, Duramax will give you better fuel economy and obviously better when it comes to towing. I know  Lbz trucks seem to be the ones everyone says are the best to go for. But I don't know if I do enough hauling to justify the added expenses and maintenance for a Duramax. 

Also just trying to figure out what the best years, engine, and trans combos are to look for and any other issues either of these trucks have to be aware of. Sorry if this was too big of a post or not the right place to put this but Any advice help or opinions are greatly appreciated.

First thing I picked up on is towing in the mountains, where are you located?  Higher elevations work against a NA gas motor.  I drive a '13 2500HD 6.0 as a daily driver, it is hard on fuel, but not as hard as I expected, averaging around 12-13mpg depending on how much idling time in traffic.  On the highway (empty) is gets 15-16mpg.  Towing would be another story, especially if you start pushing the tow weight up towards 10,000#.  Really going to come down to your budget. 

I'm located in central VA so around town and majority of the time it's pretty well level and flat. Like I said going out into the mountains is something that would most likely be done a handful of times a year. Yeah budget is going to play a big part of it. All of the 2500's are up there in price. A Duramax would most likely be overkill for what I'm doing. But nice to have if I ever do upgrade my toys then I know I have the truck to get most jobs I would tackle done.

I'm trying to negotiate the fine line between budget and future. I know the 6.0 is a solid build. But if I ever do have issues parts are cheaper and easier to find usually. Originally I was going to try and go Duramax, then my main concern with that was maintenance and repair cost if it does have a problem.  Like I said even though I'm a mechanic never messed with anything diesel.

Gas or Diesel?

Asked a lot.

Your wallet.

Diesels just cost more, period.

Lots of people are happy with the 6.0 gas.

Will it tow like a diesel, NO.

I live in Colorado so I know towing in the mountains.

Anybody can go fast down hill.

The question is do you want to go fast uphill?

Yes.

Then a diesel.

The 6.0 gaser I believe is great for adding a blower if you have to go faster.

And I will add this.

Friend has a 2010 Duramax.

Mainly a daily driver.

Towed a 12 k pound + fifth wheel for vacations and other towing duties.

At 106 k miles it needed a fuel system rebuild.

He had it done at a dealer.

Cost was $8 K.

:)

2 hours ago, diyer2 said:

Gas or Diesel?

Asked a lot.

Your wallet.

Diesels just cost more, period.

Lots of people are happy with the 6.0 gas.

Will it tow like a diesel, NO.

I live in Colorado so I know towing in the mountains.

Anybody can go fast down hill.

The question is do you want to go fast uphill?

Yes.

Then a diesel.

The 6.0 gaser I believe is great for adding a blower if you have to go faster.

And I will add this.

Friend has a 2010 Duramax.

Mainly a daily driver.

Towed a 12 k pound + fifth wheel for vacations and other towing duties.

At 106 k miles it needed a fuel system rebuild.

He had it done at a dealer.

Cost was $8 K.

:)

That's my main concern, something that big goes wrong and I'm most likely down a truck. Need another loan to fix the truck just don't seem worth it. Now I know that's not a guarantee it's like anything else some run forever with no major issues and others could break in a few days.

My experience with 3/4 tons is that there is no comparison to the Duramax. If you can afford it go diesel! Plus they hold there value way more than a gas truck does!
They need to retain their resale because they cost ~$10k more to start with...

I've owned a lot of diesels over the years. At one point they were definitely a better option as they could easily outlast their gassed counterparts with minimal maintenance.

These days, the gasser has come a long way in both power and durability...if you don't need a diesel, there are benefits to NOT owning one. Some of them are petty, but after owning them for a lot of years, putting millions of miles on them (pickups, not commercial trucks); just not having diesel fuel stains and diesel smell on everything is nice...

If I needed one, I would consider another...I would never own another one because I wanted one just to say I owned one. I doubt I will ever own another, unless it was a 1st gen Dodge Cummins for a toy.

2012 2500hd 6.0l CCSB 4wd

• 4 weeks later...

Ok I'm still looking and now I have a buddy looking for a truck and my brother inlaw is looking for one now too, which he wants to get a diesel. So now I'm researching and looking around for 3 people lol. Anyway the question my brother inlaw was wanting to know is if it is worth getting an lly truck or not. I've seen a few as well as him for decent price lower miles 120-150k and look to be pretty clean trucks.

So if you found one that was clean appears to not been beat on are they worth it? Or should he stay away and wait for a deal in a lbz or lmm truck. Thanks for your help!