Mud Flaps...Paint?

Looking for some advice and experiences...I just ordered a set of WeatherTech mud Flaps...i was curious if anyone has a similar pair and decided to paint them?  how did they turn out?  Did the paint last more than a season or did it get all chipped and cracked with the flexing and weather?

post pics if you have them, thanks in advance!

The OEM ones come painted, and I assume it's a similar material, so it can be painted.  I have just the regular black OEMs so I don't know how the paint would hold up.  I has WT on my last truck, and the OEM flaps on my current truck seem stiffer and thicker, so maybe they don't flex as much as the WT would.  Nonetheless, I wouldn't bother painting the side of them that faces the wheel; even the painted OEMs leave it black.  If you are able to paint them yourself, I say just go for it and see how it holds up.  The WTs are inexpensive so worst case you get a new pair or pick up a set of painted OEM flaps.

yeah, I've seen the OEM flaps that are painted, but they were quite a bit more expensive than the Weathertechs.  I agree, was not considering painting the wheels side...

I've seen on YouTube that people have scuffed them and painted them and they look pretty dang good!  *(but, I haven't seen any longevity reviews or paint recommendations.)

yeah, I've seen the OEM flaps that are painted, but they were quite a bit more expensive than the Weathertechs.  I agree, was not considering painting the wheels side...

I've seen on YouTube that people have scuffed them and painted them and they look pretty dang good!  *(but, I haven't seen any longevity reviews or paint recommendations.)

The OEM’s do not come painted. They come black. And you DO need to drill to mount them.

I returned my OEM’s I ordered and put Weathertech’s on. Much easier and work great. One thing I didn’t like about the OEM’s (besides drilling into an area that gets sprayed with salt) is the ‘cup’ design of them. Seem like they would just build up with road crap. I was not impressed with them.

I have some rear WT flaps I am not using if you want to experiment.  They are new in the box and I would sell them for cheap.

Typically when you paint plastic you have to first spray an adhesion promoter that will help the paint stick to the plastic and also remain flexible enough to move a little with the plastic.  You may end up spending more in the proper materials than you would just getting the OEM color ones.

The WT are textured plastic, so maybe if you sanded them flat, they could hold the paint.  I wouldn't think they would be very though.  One tip I can give after using the WT for years is to place clear body tape where the mud flap contacts the body.  Keeps the trucks paint from chaffing.  

4 hours ago, WC_LTZ said:

The OEM’s do not come painted. They come black. And you DO need to drill to mount them.

I returned my OEM’s I ordered and put Weathertech’s on. Much easier and work great. One thing I didn’t like about the OEM’s (besides drilling into an area that gets sprayed with salt) is the ‘cup’ design of them. Seem like they would just build up with road crap. I was not impressed with them.

Some come painted.

14 hours ago, Dub1796 said:

The mud flaps and fender trim were originally oem black and lasted 4 years. They never chipped and i have put them through some harsh winter driving. I just had them painted white to match. 

20180317_191713.jpg

so you took them too a paint shop, and had them painted?  10-4.  thanks.

16 hours ago, spenpet said:

so you took them too a paint shop, and had them painted?  10-4.  thanks.

When I had my 2014 sierra, I bought the GM smooth, onyx black fender trim and mud flaps. I just bought my summit white 2018 and had the parts sprayed to match. They didn't have to do any sanding 

Archived