So why not put the stock equipment on and try another dealer? 

They put a void on his warranty, unless he pays for it to be fixed or gets a higher up to remove it.

Out of curiosity what does your GM app say about your warranty/monthly report? It shows the status of your warranty because the dealership might just be lying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ex Factory Rep here ( not GM) and I ran into this many times. If the OEM sells an aftermarket CAI the warranty cannot be denied if a different aftermarket one is used as long as it is similar in design. At least in our company that was smaller and import. Field personnel had the ability to make these decisions. GM is more strict in this regard. Also many dealers service techs would look to find any problem so it would turn to customer pay.  Also every decision I made was with the thought I was standing in a court room and could prove it was the aftermarket component that caused the damage. Knowing only one side it would appear that in my opinion GM is not making the proper call but this is only my opinion and  that means nothing??

41 minutes ago, FHLH said:

What's next, My Husky Liners caused the heated and cooled seats to stop functioning?

Funny story..... I had Weathertechs in a 2015 Tundra TRD I had briefly in my life.  Took it in for a wheel speed sensor failure which at just over 3000 miles Toyota refused to cover because the sensor was physically broken.  It's what happens you as a retarded company put the sensor out in the open on the front facing side of the axle inside the rear wheel and a person drives gravel.  

Anyway I go to get the truck and my drivers side floor mat is carelessly laying in the bed..... I went in and was like"why the **** is my mat in the box".  They went out of their way and put it on the work order that my aftermarket non Toyota approved floor mats were a safety hazard and needed to be immediately removed from the vehicle even though they of course fastened down to the floor like the pathetic little stock ones did.  

I took the service departments advice within a few months time and ditched the mats..... along with the rest of the peice of shit truck they were in lol.  

The 8 speed and constantly reverting to stock for every dealer visit was the reason I sold my 2015 6.2/8 speed junker.  After the fourth or fifth visit about the trans and the dealer pulling it 3 times and not fixing it I gave up.  I don't buy vehicles so they have to live in the service department broken all the time.  As I said though..... I reverted to stock every time and even with an HP tuners custom tune never had an issue.  The OP just found themselves a crummy dealer and now gets to pay for something he or his intake had nothing to do with.  

I would say burning the truck in a field somewhere and claiming it stolen a viable option at this point.

Edited by SierraHD17

47 minutes ago, O_J_Simpson said:

You bought the CAI for increased performance. You got that. Now the transmission can't handle the increased performance. I side with GM here. Sorry but this is on your dime.

Yeah, that extra 10hp from the intake would cause the tranny to fail......:bs:

Magnuson-moss warranty Act

https://www.autoanything.com/popups/MossWarranty.aspx

• Like 2

Funny story..... I had Weathertechs in a 2015 Tundra TRD I had briefly in my life.  Took it in for a wheel speed sensor failure which at just over 3000 miles Toyota refused to cover because the sensor was physically broken.  It's what happens you as a retarded company put the sensor out in the open on the front facing side of the axle inside the rear wheel and a person drives gravel.  

Anyway I go to get the truck and my drivers side floor mat is carelessly laying in the bed..... I went in and was like"why the **** is my mat in the box".  They went out of their way and put it on the work order that my aftermarket non Toyota approved floor mats were a safety hazard and needed to be immediately removed from the vehicle even though they of course fastened down to the floor like the pathetic little stock ones did.  

I took the service departments advice within a few months time and ditched the mats..... along with the rest of the peice of shit truck they were in lol.  

The 8 speed and constantly reverting to stock for every dealer visit was the reason I sold my 2015 6.2/8 speed junker.  After the fourth or fifth visit about the trans and the dealer pulling it 3 times and not fixing it I gave up.  I don't buy vehicles so they have to live in the service department broken all the time.  As I said though..... I reverted to stock every time and even with an HP tuners custom tune never had an issue.  The OP just found themselves a crummy dealer and now gets to pay for something he or his intake had nothing to do with.  

I would say burning the truck in a field somewhere and claiming it stolen a viable option at this point.

Man that is too funny similar thing happen to me with a Jeep Wrangler, I couldn’t drive the thing because it would randomly speed up and T/C would come on and not stop so I got it towed to the dealer on a flat bed talked to the guy told him the problem with only 15,000 miles on it.

First thing he said was “what kind of floor mats you got in that?” Lol it was a speed sensor was miss reading, not the floor mats.

26 minutes ago, cbrsilv15 said:

Yeah, that extra 10hp from the intake would cause the tranny to fail......:bs:

Magnuson-moss warranty Act

https://www.autoanything.com/popups/MossWarranty.aspx

You are trying to use logic. That does not work with legal rulings. From your link:

According to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, a vehicle manufacturer cannot void the warranty of your vehicle due to an aftermarket part unless they can prove that the aftermarket part was the cause of or contributed to the failure of the vehicle (15 U.S.C. 2302 (C)). This means that a vehicle's warranty cannot be "voided;" the dealer can only deny a claim if the stock part failed due to damage or unreasonable use.

Problem is if a part claims to increase horse power, expect the power train warranty and associated compensates not to be honored. GM will defend in court or arbitration that it's power train was designed to handle the factory specifications on horse power and no more. The consumer will loose every time when they modify a component to exceed these factory specifications and a failure occurs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, O_J_Simpson said:

GM will defend in court or arbitration that it's power train was designed to handle the factory specifications on horse power and no more.

I don't think it can, because it installed an 8l90 transmission in the truck, the same trans used on the z06.

The 8l90, even the one specifically in the truck, has published specs for hp and torque handling, and it is way beyond a stock l86 with a K&N intake.

That would be valid if it was say, a driveshaft or diff, items that aren't used on other vehicles, but not with the trans.

This one is an easy win if it ever went to court, especially considering there is so many known issues with the trans.

Simple fact is the dealer only has the gun, you give him the bullets whenever you install an aftermarket part or go to him with an aftermarket tune or some gizmo stuffed into the OBDII port. The outcome is a matter of whether the dealer is willing to pull the trigger - just like customers, some are dicks and some are not - but the one holding the gun is the one who determines what happens. That's why the dealer you buy from is just more important than the price you are willing to pay because you are the one looking down the barrel. 

I'd put one of those fits many different model Scam oil filters in a Plymouth V6 minivan and seems the end of filter/valve blocked the long stand tube on the filter adapter restricting oil flow and somehow starved the bearings. Service manager said they gave it a quick look but were too busy to evaluate properly so I would have to reschedule the appointment for the next day - and it better arrive sporting a correct Mopar oil filter. Next day it did! They pulled the pan and replaced journals and bearings with a free oil change under warranty. Some dealers are not dicks.

3 hours ago, O_J_Simpson said:

You bought the CAI for increased performance. You got that. Now the transmission can't handle the increased performance. I side with GM here. Sorry but this is on your dime.

interesting thought there.  10-25 hp isnt going to break a transmission.  Also Chevy now offers a performance "aftermarket" CAI kit for the camaros.  I agree with others, get K&N involved and let them know so they can help go to bat for you OR get a lawyer.  I dont see how they proved the CAI caused the issue.  

1 hour ago, O_J_Simpson said:

You are trying to use logic. That does not work with legal rulings. From your link:

According to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, a vehicle manufacturer cannot void the warranty of your vehicle due to an aftermarket part unless they can prove that the aftermarket part was the cause of or contributed to the failure of the vehicle (15 U.S.C. 2302 (C)). This means that a vehicle's warranty cannot be "voided;" the dealer can only deny a claim if the stock part failed due to damage or unreasonable use.

Problem is if a part claims to increase horse power, expect the power train warranty and associated compensates not to be honored. GM will defend in court or arbitration that it's power train was designed to handle the factory specifications on horse power and no more. The consumer will loose every time when they modify a component to exceed these factory specifications and a failure occurs.

The offer a performance CAI for the silverado also.  

http://www.chevrolet.com/performance/silverado/intake

Obviously it can handle a few extra HP based on this availability

Love reading when a contributing member of the forums joins just to complain, certainly fogs up the actual view and performance of the vehicles at play. Either way you have to pay to play, while I don't think it should void the warranty we are going to hear only one side of the story and what the OP wants us to hear, there is another whole side to it.

1 hour ago, truckguy82 said:

I don't think it can, because it installed an 8l90 transmission in the truck, the same trans used on the z06.

The 8l90, even the one specifically in the truck, has published specs for hp and torque handling, and it is way beyond a stock l86 with a K&N intake.

That would be valid if it was say, a driveshaft or diff, items that aren't used on other vehicles, but not with the trans.

This one is an easy win if it ever went to court, especially considering there is so many known issues with the trans.

They aren't the exact same, they can change one part and have to reduce the power the unit can handle. From the global chief engineer:

"According to Kaveh, the power flow and gear architecture remain identical, but a single clutch disc was added and the torque converter was tuned specifically for this application with some truck-specific internal parts. "

Any of those internal parts could easily reduce the units power rating.

Tyler

4 hours ago, O_J_Simpson said:

Then GM should probably stop selling their version of the CAI... 

So installing a Cali is going to cause more wear and prematurely cause a transmission failure than say pulling a trailer daily? Most if not all vehicles come with cold air induction. Your not adding much with aftermarket. Some don’t seal that well allowing warm air in and lowering HP a bit. That’s the reason you hear more noise.