Frame wax coating repaired under warranty

Hi all, I have seen several threads in the past where people asked about repairing the wax coating on their frame. This may be nice for others to know.

I recently took my ride in to have a good once over before my 36 month warranty expired. No real issues with the truck at all. My frame had rust on it, but I didn't think it was that excessive for living in WI. But I asked about it when I was there. To my shock, they volunteered to repair the rust spots and re-coat it under warranty.

Here's some before photos of my frame:

20180611_072925.thumb.jpg.6582ad832fa1ab231635ae8383d9c78a.jpg

20180611_072921.thumb.jpg.ec6d716d019ff080d8f1619af6810166.jpg

I think the problem is that the stuff just comes off too easily and then the rust gets in and spreads underneath it. I have a 2018 and the thing showed some surface rust as soon as I brought it home...on the bed tubes, on top of the front spring mounts, at four spots where a tech put the thing up in the air on a lift, at various crevices. 

I patched some of the bare spots with a rubberized undercoating, on others I used fluid film, and on some others I stripped the coating off, sanded it down and painted it with POR. I feel like it's something that unfortunately I have to keep up with weekly or else it'll get out of control (and it's not even winter yet, this is our dry season).

I'm planning on doing two things...I plan on buying some Nox Rust for touch ups, and I plan on doing an undercoating treatment twice a year with either fluid film or NH Oil undercoating. 

I know its just "surface rust", it's not the end of the world...might not ever be a serious issue, but I don't want to chance it. I've seen three 2014's that have frames that look so corroded you'd think they were 20 year old trucks (one of them doesn't appear to have any wax coating left on the thing).

Edited by Doublebase

2 hours ago, Doublebase said:

I'm planning on doing two things...I plan on buying some Nox Rust for touch ups, and I plan on doing an undercoating treatment twice a year with either fluid film or NH Oil undercoating. 

There’s a couple of undercoating threads on here you might want to read before you get to crazy with the Fluid Film. Some guys claim it eats the wax.

12 minutes ago, wforrest08 said:

There’s a couple of undercoating threads on here you might want to read before you get to crazy with the Fluid Film. Some guys claim it eats the wax.

I was told that, but I haven't found that to be true. And I've seen fluid film treatments on Silverados in my area - including mine - and it didn't damage the wax. From what I've seen it sticks right to it forming another layer/barrier. 

I like the idea of letting the dealership repair it. OP thanks for posting the info, if I spot some rust it looks like it will be taken care of, and that is good news. Only problem is my closest dealership is Beaman GMC in downtown Nashville and from past experience with them they will probably write on my repair ticket "Operating as designed No repairs Done" I will have to drive 25 miles to get decent service at Wilson county motors. Yes I am dogging Beaman Service department BECAUSE THEY DESERVE IT AND HAVE EARNED IT. Note: Beaman has an excellent paint department (different building and different management) it is just the service department that is weak. Beaman if you read this and the many other reviews that  I have put out on your poor service department please make some management changes and get yourself back to doing good customer service. I would like to utilize it when needed.  

15 hours ago, Dnt said:

I like the idea of letting the dealership repair it. OP thanks for posting the info, if I spot some rust it looks like it will be taken care of, and that is good news. Only problem is my closest dealership is Beaman GMC in downtown Nashville and from past experience with them they will probably write on my repair ticket "Operating as designed No repairs Done" I will have to drive 25 miles to get decent service at Wilson county motors. Yes I am dogging Beaman Service department BECAUSE THEY DESERVE IT AND HAVE EARNED IT. Note: Beaman has an excellent paint department (different building and different management) it is just the service department that is weak. Beaman if you read this and the many other reviews that  I have put out on your poor service department please make some management changes and get yourself back to doing good customer service. I would like to utilize it when needed.  

I talked to the dealership about the rust on my truck when I purchased it, it was used with 6,000 miles on it. They would not cover any repairs to the wax/frame under warranty. So it looks like it may or may not be a service that your dealer is even willing to offer.

Yes I agree a lot of the decision to do a warranty repair is initiated by your dealerships service department. If you have a fat lazy service guy that hates his job and just wants to put his hours in without any extra effort like the guys at Beaman you will get told to pound sand on any warranty repairs. Forget any rust repair or other gray area it will not happen there you have to go with a quality / customer oriented dealership service department like Wilson County GMC. Just makes me upset that I have to drive 50 miles round-trip just to get a GM  service department that does not have their head up their arse.  

I’ve touched up a few scratches or lift marks with fluid film aerosol. Hopefully this isn’t one of the products that cause the factory wax coating to fall off?

Thats great your dealer took care of it and looks like a decent job touching up the problem aeras. 

It’s refreshing to hear a positive dealer repair vs “they all do that”, “functions as designed” or “can’t replicate” canned response :-)

Edited by 2009GMC

13 hours ago, 2009GMC said:

I’ve touched up a few scratches or lift marks with fluid film aerosol. Hopefully this isn’t one of the products that cause the factory wax coating to fall off?

Thats great your dealer took care of it and looks like a decent job touching up the problem aeras. 

It’s refreshing to hear a positive dealer repair vs “they all do that”, “functions as designed” or “can’t replicate” canned response :-)

To be honest I think the wax coating “falling off”, part of the equation is pretty much impossible to avoid anyway. When it gets old it dries up and falls off. When something scrapes it? It’s exposed. The fluid film, krown, NH oil...all may “soften” it, but unless you soak the heck out of it, I’ve found they don’t make it fall off. If anything they provide a little barrier and suppleness. And then dust sticks to it forming an additional barrier of protection. 

• Thanks 1