OEM Off-Road Light Switch Install

I know we're getting way off topic here but can you share a link for the lights you used?

Back on topic, switch ordered.  Probably won't have time right away to install it so I'm looking forward to progress on what can be done with it.  

I know we're getting way off topic here but can you share a link for the lights you used?

Back on topic, switch ordered.  Probably won't have time right away to install it so I'm looking forward to progress on what can be done with it.  

http:// https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F112705432354
These are essentially the same ones I used. I buy most of my LEDs for my little projects and all my trailers from seller aascott01 on eBay. He is based out of Springfield, MO and has pretty good products for a very reasonable price. And just because you don’t see what you’re looking for on his eBay store doesn’t mean he doesn’t have it. You can send him a message and he’ll let you know if he has anything you’re looking for and he’ll set up a special order auction to sell it to you. I’ve done it in the past with him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Cburge95 said:

I did something similar with my Silverado. Not long after I bought it in 2014 I added lights to the steps in the bumper. Wired them in to the cargo box lighting. They practically look factory. I’ve considered either contacting GM to suggest they make them an option in new models or going to my dealer and showing them. Here’s how they look. 0cbc0bab17b061cf100aabca77b22b6a.jpg

That does look great! Just added to my to-do list! Thanks 

If you use the button signal to trigger the relay already in place for your trailer reverse lights then you can tap into the trailer reverse light circuit to power lights on the trailer and in the bed of the truck. Most trailers don’t have reverse lights so that circuit works well for trailer work lights. You can just tap into the trailer plug (truck side) for use on cargo lights, area lights etc.

7 hours ago, pgamboa said:

Also, if you notice the blue switch that I have, the icon for the ORL is slightly different looking. The red version has an arrow pointing upward.

8492 seems to have the arrow pointing upward on that blue version.

The blue switch (left one) has the icon for "Rear Fog Light" where as the red switch (right one) has the icon for an "Off Road Light".  Maybe the left switch is shared with another GM model or used on a European model?

A Saab I had years ago had the same icon as the blue switch, basically a fog light icon (except the beams were pointing to the right and horizontal, as opposed to pointing to the left and at a slight down angle).  When I would press that button, it would illuminate a bright red light at the rear of the vehicle on the left side, same intensity as a brake light but not the same bulb as the brake or turn signal.  If you are ever driving down the road and see someone who looks like they are riding their brakes and have one light out, it's probably a rear fog light.  Some vehicles use two lights, others use only one on the "passing" side of the vehicle.  Rear fog lights are common on European vehicles I believe.

1 minute ago, 74Sprint17SierraATX said:

Red backing is for 14-16s.
Blue backing is for 17s and up.
Is this correct? I’m near positive that it is not a Sierra/Silverado or 1500/2500/3500 thing

All Sierras 14-16 are red and then changed to blue 17+.  Silverado is blue since 14.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, pewterliftedz said:

Awesome find man I just cancelled my order from gm parts and got this one saved $112 bucks 

only one problem I see once I get this working I’ll be wanting to put a diode in the brights to make my light bar come on every time I hit the brights lol

Edited by Tleesmith14

I ordered the switch last night since it was so cheap but does anyone know if the BCMs on the 2014s has the necessary pin-outs to make this functional if I make/buy a harness?

@pgamboaAny ideas?

Edited by Cburge95

16 hours ago, colonel00 said:

Nice.  Do those throw the light anywhere or just illuminate the steps?  I actually like the illumination idea and having that tied into the cargo lights would work well.  I'd just tie them into my bed lights as I did the diode mod to turn on the bed lights when the cargo lights are on.  That would be great for finding those steps in the dark.  I'll see if I can find the photo of the lights installed in the step like I'm thinking of.

Edit:  Here's one option but I wouldn't want to loose the use of the steps with the big cubes.  My old joints really appreciate those steps.

Chevy-GMC-Rear-Mount-LED-Pod-Light-06.jp

There's a much cleaner, flush mount that someone did on here that I'm trying to find.

There are a bunch of ideas in this thread:

I did the exact same thing and actually posted in the thread linked above.  I recommend Oznium for any lights like this -- they are great to work with!  I used these for the bumper steps:

https://www.oznium.com/led-bolts-prewired-leds/led-bolt

If you want to dim them a little just order some diodes from Oznium as well.

I just spliced into the bed light harnesses since they already run right near that area.  Now when I turn on the cargo lights with the factory switch below the HVAC controls I get cab cargo light, led bed lights, and led step lights.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sk said:

I did the exact same thing and actually posted in the thread linked above.  I recommend Oznium for any lights like this -- they are great to work with!  I used these for the bumper steps:

https://www.oznium.com/led-bolts-prewired-leds/led-bolt

If you want to dim them a little just order some diodes from Oznium as well.

I just spliced into the bed light harnesses since they already run right near that area.  Now when I turn on the cargo lights with the factory switch below the HVAC controls I get cab cargo light, led bed lights, and led step lights.

Which size did you use? Seems like they have 6-12mm.  I do like oznium stuff as that is what I used for my under seat lighting and my step bar lights.

6 minutes ago, colonel00 said:

Which size did you use? Seems like they have 6-12mm.  I do like oznium stuff as that is what I used for my under seat lighting and my step bar lights.

It's been a while since I did it but I'm pretty sure I used 11mm, cool white, black aluminum housing (1W), no lens.  I would have used neutral white but they didn't offer it back then so the color is a little bluish (kind of like Cburge95's picture above).  Also "no lens" sounds bare but it actually has a cover over the chip it's just flat whereas the "lens" one has a domed cover kind of like a mini projector.

I also ordered a couple of these resistors at the same time just in case:

https://www.oznium.com/loose-component-leds/resistors

I ended up putting 2 in series before each bolt to get the brightness down a little.

• Thanks 1