Check out black bear performance.  Probably the best custom tune out there.  They can tune the TCM in addition to the ECM.  Since its custom, you tell them what you want like better MPG or more power.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Best is not even a question HPTuners pro. There is a forum and you can data log everything in the truck and change anything at any time. There are pre tunes you can just upload and write to truck. Clear codes or block codes whatever. The dyno tuners out there use this.

• Like 2

Best is not even a question HPTuners pro. There is a forum and you can data log everything in the truck and change anything at any time. There are pre tunes you can just upload and write to truck. Clear codes or block codes whatever. The dyno tuners out there use this.

Is it easy to learn how to make a simple tune, say for better MPG, or performance? Also what about for a trans tune? I was looking into black bear myself but maybe I will go HP tuners if it is not that difficult

2015 Silverado LT Midnight Edition
4.5” CST suspension lift
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly it isn't easy. But the forums at hptuners will help. If you cant do it you can pay a guy to email you a tune, label it gas mileage, power, tow or whatever and change them as you like. As you own the tuner and credits.
See every time you change parts on a truck you should retune but this way you own it. Rather then waiting and paying again hundreds to change tune. Once credits are bought by you the whole truck is unlocked to all. Post a log and tune file and the issue you want addressed and other will give input. I enjoy seeing others tunes and even clicking the compare to see what others are trying.
Sound stupid but you tube has how to videos that are great.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Can't speak to any other tuners but I had Black Bear tune mine. The tuner is pretty oldschool itself but they do an awesome job. I've never tried any other tuners although I hear good things about diablew as well. I really like the diablo monitor/tuners so I do wish I had the monitor.

That said when you buy the black bear tune you get it for as long as you own that truck. I'm planning on keeping mine a while and they have been great so far.

I’ve got the canned diablo tune on mine. Don’t think it picked up a bunch of power but the transmission tuning and removing DOD//AFM alone was worth it. One day I’ll get Lew to tune it but not until I get headers. It’s a $150 to tune it and it’s unlimited retunes and updates through the first year. After that it’s $75 for 6 months of tuning.

2014 z71 LTZ

Volant Intake

Borla Exhaust

Diablo

Bilstein 5100

Rough Country Level

• 4 months later...

I second HP tuners. My home boy that does my tunes is top notch. But as said before they're is a steep learning curve, but if your the type of person that loves to figure shit out it can be rewarding experience. I want to learn one day and will probably buy my own set up sometime this year.

• Like 1

I went with Blackbear on my 015 with the understanding that there is other options out there that are way more advanced. I don’t want to spend my time trying get every ounce of performance by adjusting this or that reprogramming to see if it’s better starring at monitors/gauges going down the road to see if it’s better. If I had a fast car and was throwing parts at it monthly then yeah ok it would be worth it. I swapped out all my parts I was going to bought my auto cal from Black Bear they set up the tunes I wanted if I remember right there’s 5 slots on the auto cal one for stock ecm one for stock tranny one for tuned tranny and 2 for tuned ecm too. That’s enuff choices for me took 10 days and done. I wasn’t going to tune mine till I was out of bumper 2 bumper but after driving it stock (had a Range and speedo recall for tires) for 3k I couldn’t stand the trannys wonky azz shifting and the lazy throttle response any more and said F it. Best decision I made put my tranny tune and 91 octane tune in it 33k ago and haven’t done anything since besides drive it (nice bump in power on that 91 tune when I run E85 in the summer)For me this was the right decision.

IMO a canned tuner is the simplest followed by a Blackbear/Dynolew then something like the HP. 

The Blackbear or similar is the best compromise of simple and actuall gains as far as I am concerned. 

I went with Blackbear on my 015 with the understanding that there is other options out there that are way more advanced. I don’t want to spend my time trying get every ounce of performance by adjusting this or that reprogramming to see if it’s better starring at monitors/gauges going down the road to see if it’s better. If I had a fast car and was throwing parts at it monthly then yeah ok it would be worth it. I swapped out all my parts I was going to bought my auto cal from Black Bear they set up the tunes I wanted if I remember right there’s 5 slots on the auto cal one for stock ecm one for stock tranny one for tuned tranny and 2 for tuned ecm too. That’s enuff choices for me took 10 days and done. I wasn’t going to tune mine till I was out of bumper 2 bumper but after driving it stock (had a Range and speedo recall for tires) for 3k I couldn’t stand the trannys wonky azz shifting and the lazy throttle response any more and said F it. Best decision I made put my tranny tune and 91 octane tune in it 33k ago and haven’t done anything since besides drive it (nice bump in power on that 91 tune when I run E85 in the summer)For me this was the right decision.

IMO a canned tuner is the simplest followed by a Blackbear/Dynolew then something like the HP. 
The Blackbear or similar is the best compromise of simple and actuall gains as far as I am concerned. 
You are right. But I will add hpt is the best and what most dont know it can do what Blackbear can do plus. Read your file and post it. Then upload the file. And it can allow unlimited files. And can be used on many cars and trucks.
One could plug into your truck and pull the BB tune off it and then for the low low price of just the unlock of the new vin. Program another truck the same tune. But same for any HPT tuned truck that is why there are so many free files online.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

hPT is overkill
Please explain how so.
Can it do more?----yes
Price per ability and value? Cheaper better value.
Can it be complex and hars to use? Yes and no. They are drop tunes,email tunes,and shops so every option.

I have see many unity for sale for $300. And it can do unlimited vins. I have a pro unit. And wrote many tunes and made back all my money plus made a lot on it. Even people that have HPT as it is the number one big shop tuner, can have anyone view and write there tune.
There is something for everyone. There is a place for BB. But the word over kill is incorrect. This tool can can tune all day just like pocket tuner or more or scan or review or log. Better to say it's over qualified but again for the dollar worth it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I use a Bully Dog BDX tuner and Fiver Star Tuning did my tunes. This is the second truck they tuned for me and I am more than happy with it. They are great to deal with and the customer service is top notch.