2019 Chevy Silverado Fuel Economy Surprise - Headed Down, Not Up

Gorehamj

silverado 19 wind chamber.jpg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
12-10-2018

The EPA posted the new fuel economy numbers for a variety of Silverado combinations this week. The new 2.7-liter engine is one highlight. What struck us after reviewing the info is that the numbers are not that impressive. Chevrolet made a lot of noise about the new truck's aerodynamics and engine technology, leading us to get the impression that some interesting numbers would follow.  Now that we see the numbers we are not so sure. First off, there are 38 different Silverado 1500 combinations listed by www.FuelEconomy.gov. Four pages of different fuel economy numbers for the model years 2018 and 2019. You can find them all yourself on the site to view which interest you, but we are pulling out a few for discussion purposes. 

silverado k 18 vs 19.png

First Up 5.3L V8 4x 4  2018 vs. 2019

To our eyes, the 2019s (denoted by "K") look like they get lower fuel economy. Are we mistaken?

Silverado K 4.3.png

Next Up 4.3L V6 4 x 4 2018 vs. 2019

The 4.3-liter V6 was more efficient last year is our take. What's yours?

silverado vs ram 2.7.png

Next Up 2019 2.7L 4-cylinder turbo in 2WD vs. 4.3 V6 in 2WD for 2018 vs. Ram V6 2019

The reason there are two Silverados is one is the work truck, the other not the work truck. They get different MPG ratings. The Ram is the new mild hybrid eTorque V6. Hmm.   

Our friends at Automotive News asked Chevy's Monte Duran why the new trucks have lower fuel economy numbers than the old and he replied, "We increased towing capacity, payload, and it's a much larger bed and a much larger cab."  

Kind of an embarrassing setback. :(

GM advertised the new body styling and cheek air curtains would aid in better economy.

The Dynamic Skip Fire cylinder technology was suppose to also increase economy.

Not to mention the 400 or so lbs of weight reduction.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Sierra Dan said:

Kind of an embarrassing setback. :(

GM advertised the new body styling and cheek air curtains would aid in better economy.

The Dynamic Skip Fire cylinder technology was suppose to also increase economy.

Not to mention the 400 or so lbs of weight reduction.

Aren't they also standard with the Start/Stop/Start technology too?

Worse fuel economy, and a smaller fuel tank.  *shakes head*

But, the bed is 7" wider, and  rear crew cab passengers get a mile of space between their knees and the front seats, as well as HVAC vents...

I think maybe the midsize truck market will see a magnificent resurgence. 

Edited by rkj__
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, pickmeup said:

Yes but you have start stop technology and aero curtains. Oh wait there is more.....even tailgate is designed with aero flow top priority . How could this be ??

Frontal area increased. This is the biggest factor I suspect.

Gear ratios changed. It's hard to imagine this would have had a negative effect on economy though. 

Edited by rkj__
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, SS502 said:

Aren't they also standard with the Start/Stop/Start technology too?

yeah, but that wouldn't affect highway mileage. I don't even know if the epa test for city driving would make the engine stop at all. 

10 minutes ago, aseibel said:

yeah, but that wouldn't affect highway mileage. I don't even know if the epa test for city driving would make the engine stop at all. 

I must have read the report wrong, thought it was city and highway, either way doesn’t bode well for GM.

7 minutes ago, SS502 said:

I must have read the report wrong, thought it was city and highway, either way doesn’t bode well for GM.

Their test does include highway and city. The problem is the auto start stop only saves fuel when sitting still at a stoplight or in a traffic jam. I don't know if their "city" test includes much of that, or if it just involved stop signs. So even though that feature is designed to save fuel, and increase your fuel economy per tank, it doesn't affect MPGS while the vehicle is moving.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rkj__ said:

Frontal area increased. This is the biggest factor I suspect.

Gear ratios changed. It's hard to imagine this would have had a negative effect on economy though. 

To me this is the main cause.  You can reduce weight but increasing the frontal area and now you are pushing more air than before makes a huge diffence. So how much weight would it really take to loose to overcome the resistance to pushing that air?  To me they didn't seem to streamline it much.  They say the extra spoiler on the back of the cab and the tailgate help.  It seems to me they needed to do more.  JMO.

• Like 2

Are you guys really going to post pics comparing the Trailboss models to regular models?

Seems a bit misleading.

Also read that there were changes to EPA testing procedures.  Don't forget that the 2018 models with the 6 speed had 3.08 gears standard, I believe these 6 speed 5.3s are 3.42 standard. Lots of factors at play. 

Edited by Yondu

43 minutes ago, Yondu said:

Are you guys really going to post pics comparing the Trailboss models to regular models?

Seems a bit misleading.

Also read that there were changes to EPA testing procedures.  Don't forget that the 2018 models with the 6 speed had 3.08 gears standard, I believe these 6 speed 5.3s are 3.42 standard. Lots of factors at play. 

Those appear to be screenshots from the federal site. I think the site only has one image for the 2019 Silverado. Looks like the 2018 only had one image as well.