Gas Mileage on 5.3 V8 engine on a 4x4

On 11/19/2019 at 7:42 PM, flat3500 said:

60-65 drafting with a tonneau cover 30.1 for 50 miles,going to St louis this weekend see what it does then

IMG_20191119_183116638_HDR.jpg

That's about what I get and my truck is red also....different coefficient of friction for the red paint?

On 11/24/2019 at 8:24 PM, Wiggums said:

Then how did the DIC show 50 mile trip at 28 mpg? I was the one who accomplished that. Very flat surface all the way to SNA airport and back. This time, I drove to LAX and got 31 mpg. That was going 55 mph in Los Angeles, 100% highway, absolutely no stopping anywhere, just a steady foot on the gas pedal.

I know you did, it was a joke.  I generally get 22mpg, cruise control 65-70mph, averaged over distances of 10 miles plus.   I've achieved an avg yield of 28mpg, but only over 2 miles where it was completely flat at 65mph, and all this is with my 6spd, AFM, 5.3V8.  If you have a 8spd, with DFM, you can easily do better.  Unfortunately we don't have the long, flat open highways here in Virginia, its very hilly terrain.

5 hours ago, MacLaren said:

Man, I cant get over how much I love this new Silverado. The days of 17 city and 19 highway are lone gone! ( actually that mileage in a V8 ain't nothin to sneeze at anyways! )

In my 07 Classic, I would usually get about 375 miles to the tank before I would need to fill up.

I maybe have really, really, pushed it to 400 a couple times, but that's runnin on fumes, or at least that's how I remembered it. Its mighty nice to get a range of at least 500 miles now. 

20191121_125430.thumb.jpg.f54cff4b22c8ed45d48b5750afcc5ed5.jpg

I have some questions:

- you live in eastern NC where its flat or western where is part of Appalachian Mtn's?

- is your driving style conservative or 'drive it like you stole it'

- how many miles until your truck started getting 500+ miles/tank or should I say how many tanks have you gotten 500+ miles?

I only ask, because I have just under 2000 miles on my truck and this past tank of gas was the first time averaged 15 mpg. Each tank was about .5-1 mpg better. Coming from a Tacoma which got about 215 miles/tank (from lift and MT's) I was excited to get 300+/tank but would love to average 16-17 mpg. 

21 minutes ago, mistaare said:

I have some questions:

- you live in eastern NC where its flat or western where is part of Appalachian Mtn's?

- is your driving style conservative or 'drive it like you stole it'

- how many miles until your truck started getting 500+ miles/tank or should I say how many tanks have you gotten 500+ miles?

I only ask, because I have just under 2000 miles on my truck and this past tank of gas was the first time averaged 15 mpg. Each tank was about .5-1 mpg better. Coming from a Tacoma which got about 215 miles/tank (from lift and MT's) I was excited to get 300+/tank but would love to average 16-17 mpg. 

I live in the Mountains. 

But, trust me, you just need to give your truck more time. She'll start getting better mpg

The best full tank I've had was 23.5 mpg

I average a good 22.5

And, I just drive normal.  Sometimes, I'll have to hammer it, to pass an 18 wheeler up a steep hill or whatever. 

Plus, that 562 mile range you saw is a little deceiving because it's based on that current mpg.  But, like I said, at least 500 miles to the tank with 22.5 mpg

That would be about 22- 23 gallons of fuel at 22.5 mpg

Today, I refueled after going 450 miles, and I was still a few hash Mark's above E.

Edited by MacLaren
  • Like 1

I don't try to hypermile my 4.3L V6, and we have a lot of hills around where I live. My highway best so far is 25MPG averaging 70mph, but I've never been able to duplicate that. My combined average is between 18-19 with winter fuel, cold mornings and pre-conditioning. Combined average 20-21 in the summer. I'm a little disappointed as I figured the little V6 would do better, but maybe it's working harder. I find the DIC is pretty accurate, usually about 0.2 mpg optimistic.

I’ve found that if you can run your 5.3L DFM between 40-60mph for most of your daily mileage, you’ll easily end each tank at or above 20mpg. 

Sadly for me, I divided the total hours on my truck by my mileage and my daily avg speed is closer to 20-25mph. That’s why my lifetime avg after 7000 miles is 16.4mpg. 

Still far and away better than my 2007 5.3L with the 4 speed OD transmission. I think I was running around 13.5-14.5mpg per tank with that one, and never got above 18mpg avg on a long highway run. 

Edited by econometrics

5 hours ago, HeySkippyDog said:

Are we crying about 20+ mpg in a full size truck V8?

Oh heavens.

My first Chevy got 12 on a good day.

My L83 with V4 disabled gets 21-22. I'm happier than a pig in shit.

If your T1 gets better, and i imagine it would, why are you crying about it?!

Sent from my SM-J810F using Tapatalk

Lol, are you kidding?

I'm getting just under what my wife gets in her 2011 Toyota Highlander. 

This is far and away the best vehicle I've ever owned!  Like I said earlier, my 07 Classic got 17.5 and 19.5 and, that was damn good for a full size V8 truck. I too, am happy as a pig in shit ?

I'll bet those Hemis go thru gas faster than shit thru a cider mill :)

16 hours ago, HeySkippyDog said:

Are we crying about 20+ mpg in a full size truck V8?
Oh heavens.
My first Chevy got 12 on a good day.
My L83 with V4 disabled gets 21-22. I'm happier than a pig in shit.
If your T1 gets better, and i imagine it would, why are you crying about it?!
Sent from my SM-J810F using Tapatalk

Gas isn't $1.79 anymore. That's why.