I currently own a 2003 Silverado 1500 LS with the Z71 package. I have almsot 284k miles on it with the 5.3 vortec engine. I have almost had it a year and bought it with 273k. I know it has been taken care of because its very clean, with no sludge in the oil, as well as no metal shavings in the oil and transmission pan when I changed their gaskets/fluids. So far I have changed:

- Rear diff gears

- Knock sensors

- Catalytic converters

- Trans fluid and filter

- Oil pan gasket

- Intermediate steering shaft

- A/C system

- T-case fluid

- Added a Spectre cold air intake

- A few other minor things

As of now I have a rear main seal leak, as well as a clunk. I have researched the clunk and have come to the conclusion that it is the famous GM slip yoke clunk, so I am not too worried. It it was the trans, I would have likely seen metal shavings in my trans fluid. I am likely going to be fixing my rear main seal leak in a few months. I do all this work myself so it's not too expensive to fix and I kind of enjoy working on it. Basically, I really like my truck and I would like to keep it, but I am wondering how long I should expect from the engine? I'm pretty positive the trans has been changed since it has such high mileage. Let me know what you all think.

Truck2.jpg

• Like 2

If you continue to take care of it and hope the last owner took care of it then I dont see 500K being an issue. I had a V8 from the 80s (Porsche 928) that was basically the same design as a 5.3 (fuel injections and basic block) and I had over 300K on it. All the 4L60E transmission I have owned made it well past 200K before a rebuild and the axle should last if oil is changed. Worst you would need to do is replace the G80.

My option is that early 5.3 was bare bones and built to last. No AFM or other goodies to kill the life. The plastic is going to fail before the engine does.

• Like 1

2001 4wd burb with 350k.
- I was getting ready to do the reseal around 275k as everything was leaking. Son blew the engine (not monitoring oil pressure). Took the reseal dollars and installed reman engine
- re built tranny at 225k. Wife broke parking pawl not using the parking brakes.

• Like 1

My wife has an 05 Tahoe with right at 280000 on the odometer.  The Tahoe was purchased with 52 miles on it, and 30 of those were put on it when we test drove it.  It has been the best vehicle I've purchased.  The only "major" work I've had to do to it (if you can consider it major) is changing the water pump.  The little issues it's had is the heater hose connectors cracking, it takes a while to fill with fuel (working on that this weekend), and the "blind spots" as my lovely bride refers to them...it's more of an "I don't feel like looking behind me so I'll just bump into that pole behind me" issue (I know it's not an issue with the vehicle...it's just aggravating when she comes home with a new beauty mark on it and says it's because she can't see behind her).  Other minor issues are the CD player died (won't eject a CD), a rear window regulator died last year along with the window switch on the other rear door, and the color is peeling from the dash, which is a lot better than the cracked dash that is a standard feature on the 08-12 models.

• Like 1

When I was looking for my used truck, I ran into "something somewhere" that said the 5.3 engine was engineered for a 400,000 lifetime. Sorry I can't remember where I picked this up. 

• Like 1

Man you have a nice, clean, pickup there! I don't know what you use it for, but with the high mileage I wouldn't worry too much. You seem like you take care of you're equipment, which helps immensely. The 5.3's are great and are a dime a dozen, can't imagine they'd be too expensive to overhaul or swap. Wish we didn't have salt so mine would look like that! Just coming up on 200k and the body is really letting go unfortunately. 

• Like 2

On 3/22/2019 at 7:12 PM, dsr611 said:

My wife has an 05 Tahoe with right at 280000 on the odometer.  The Tahoe was purchased with 52 miles on it, and 30 of those were put on it when we test drove it.  It has been the best vehicle I've purchased.  The only "major" work I've had to do to it (if you can consider it major) is changing the water pump.  The little issues it's had is the heater hose connectors cracking, it takes a while to fill with fuel (working on that this weekend), and the "blind spots" as my lovely bride refers to them...it's more of an "I don't feel like looking behind me so I'll just bump into that pole behind me" issue (I know it's not an issue with the vehicle...it's just aggravating when she comes home with a new beauty mark on it and says it's because she can't see behind her).  Other minor issues are the CD player died (won't eject a CD), a rear window regulator died last year along with the window switch on the other rear door, and the color is peeling from the dash, which is a lot better than the cracked dash that is a standard feature on the 08-12 models.

I loved my '02 Tahoe which was traded in with 250k on the clock and to my knowledge is still on the road. Only issue was the rubber stripping under the tailgate kept peeling no matter how many times it was replaced/reattached. Eventually super-glued it which worked the longest, but it eventually detached again just before trading in. 

Thanks for all the replies guys. I think I’m going to hold on to her and see how things go. The damn catalytic converters are rattling though, so I gotta replace those. Thinking high flow cats...

On 3/27/2019 at 7:08 PM, nalewis said:

Thanks for all the replies guys. I think I’m going to hold on to her and see how things go. The damn catalytic converters are rattling though, so I gotta replace those. Thinking high flow cats...

Careful of the brands used, some don't last very long.  I replaced mine with a Magnaflow catted Y-pipe.

9 hours ago, swathdiver said:

Careful of the brands used, some don't last very long.  I replaced mine with a Magnaflow catted Y-pipe.

I’m thinking I’m going to order this pacesetter performance one. Seems like a good company and it’s American made. The last one I bought is some off brand company called Evan Fischer... stay away from them.

• Like 1

I have basically the same truck, '04 1/2 ton Silverado Z71 that I inherited when my dad passed away. It has right at 67.5K miles and is very clean. I hope to keep it on the road for many years.