A $0.02 review of my 2019 RST

I've owned my 2019 RST Z71 crew for about a month now. In as much time, I've started to get a firm feel for what I like and do not like about the truck. I thought I would share my thoughts here... but take them for what they're worth! 

A little background... 

1. I drive a whopping 8,000-10,000 miles per year, due to my job having me out of town a lot. 70% of my driving is city driving, and my daily commute is about a 14 mile round trip on suburban 45mph roads with stoplights. 
  2. I upgraded to the 2019 RST from a 2007 LT2 Texas Edition Silverado Crew RWD, which I put about 110K miles on after buying it used in 2009. 
  3. I researched a new truck for about 3-4 months. I looked heavily at the F-150, as well as certified and new 2017/2018 Silverados and Sierras. I've driven Chevys since 2001, but I really consider myself brand agnostic, looking for the best product on the market for my needs at the best price. 
  4. My budget was pretty flexible, but I wanted something $45K or less. 

After visiting a good friend of mine, who owns a Chevy dealership in West TX, I realized I did not want a K2 Silverado. This reduced my decision to a 2019 Silverado or a 2018/2019 F-150. Ultimately, I felt the better value was in the 2019 Silverado, and I ended up liking the truck more than what I was finding in the F-150.

I went with the RST, as I'm very over the chrome look. I think the monochrome appearance looks way more "modern", and I just generally liked it more. I didn't need a 2" lift and aggressive tires, so I passed on a Trail Boss. I do, however, LOVE the black front ends and wheels on them. 

My RST MRSP was $53,800. I got All Star + Convenience II, Z71 packages, etc. A similarly optioned 2019 F-150 was around $61K. Sheesh. I paid $43,660 for it + TTL, etc. The only other option I could have added was Safety I. Because there were only 3 Satin Steel RSTs with the options I wanted within 500 miles of me, I sacrificed Safety I... but I don't really miss it. I like having the corner blind spot mirrors vs. the blind spot indicators, etc. 

First, let me start with some of the things I do not like... 

1. Trim options missing. I realize that there are 3 trims higher than the RST (Trail Boss, LTZ and High Country), but I really wish GM gave some more interior features for the RST and TB. For those not wanting to have all the chrome on the truck, we have to sacrifice features that were on the monochrome LTZ Z71 in 2018 - seat memory, ventilated seats, electronic rear child locks, particularly. Beyond this, I think for an MSRP of $54K, we should also get a digital dash center like the available tech package offers on the LTZ & HC. Why not just make that an option for another $$$? I would have bought it. 
  2. No gas/brake pedal adjustment. To be honest, I never really found this feature all that great in GM rentals I've driven. However, the new Silverado pedals seem to be positioned a little too far forward. Combine this with the fact that the telescoping steering wheel does not, IMO, telescope towards the driver enough... and I just haven't felt like I have a comfortable driving position with the 10-way power seat. I'm 5'11", so not short or tall. I've finally adjusted and found a position that works, but my 2007 seemed to have a better, natural position for my arms, elbows, feet, etc. 
  3. No power passenger seat. For $54K, c'mon, GM. 
  4. No built-in nav. I use Apple Car Play, but it costs me an extra $600 to have the nav installed on my RST? That's lame. It's 2019, GM. I really only want this for the speed limit indicator in the driver info center (DIC) in the dash, ha. 
  5. Badge placement. Why did they put the Z71 badge on the upper front fender? Weird. Put it as a sticker on the top rear fender, like it has always been. 
  6. No color-matched mirror covers. Mine are glossy black... which look okay with my Satin Steel Metallic paint job, but why not just color match them to the body? 
  7. Lacking LED lights. I don't get why you put LEDs in every other place on the truck lighting besides the turn signals and the back up lights. That's just weird. 
  8. Dashboard. This befuddles me. It looks cheaper and more basic (besides the DIC) than previous models. I realize most of us just look at the digital MPH on the DIC now, but it just looks cheap. 
  9. Power down windows. Why only for the driver, and not the others?
  10. Bed / Cargo LED lights. Why no switch in the bed to turn these on? 
  11. Mid-vehicle signal. With a truck this big, I don't get my GM did not put a turn signal indicator somewhere on the middle of the vehicle. I get nervous changing lanes on the 6-wide stretches of interstate going 75mph in DFW. This would have helped a lot. 
  12. Plastic-y interior. Though I do like the feel of the interior overall, now that my truck has started to collect some dust / dirt in the interior, I'm noticing the cheap-looking plastic mold feel of some of the elements in the interior. I appreciate the wood finishes in places, but that hard plastic feel around the console, on the doors, etc. just does not feel like $54K to me. It does not really feel "cheap", but just not as plush as I would have hoped for. I still think it feels better than the F-150 interiors I've been in, with all the knobs, buttons and different plastic components the Fords tend to have. 
  13. Fuel capacity. I don't get why GM did not create a bigger fuel tank on this new model. 24 gallons, seriously? My 2007 had 26 gal, and even my wife's minivan has 21! Fail. 
  14. Interior color options. Two options, seriously? 
  15. Antenna. Again... $54K truck and we still have a 3 foot whip antenna? It was the first thing I got rid of, less than 10 min after I got home from the dealer. So ugly. 

Things I like... 

1. Design. I know this is polarizing, but I think it looks amazing. In 1-2 years, after Ford refreshes, I guarantee this truck will look like the forerunner in style, and not the oddity. The body lines, the grill, everything looks fantastic, IMO. I like the Silverado much better than the Sierra, too. The grill space on the GMC is just too massive and hollow-looking to me. 
  2. LED lights. The DRLs, LED tail lights, and the LED headlights are fantastic. 
  3. Interior updates. GM finally made a rear seat with good legroom, and comfortable seating position. Adding the rear air vents is honestly what sold me on getting a 2019 vs. a 2018. About time. I love the spaciousness of the cab, and though many people feel the center stack and overall interior feels "cheap", I feel otherwise. I think the buttons are all well placed, and I love that GM is still doing manual HVAC knobs. 
  4. No center console shifter. At first, when I was looking at the F-150s, I thought this was an upgrade vs. a column shifter. Then I sat in one. I like GM's way better. The new one feels fantastic, too. I like that I have the entire lower console available, and that I do not have to reach over the shifter in order to get my coffee. 
  5. Centering of steering wheel. GM finally got this right. All those years of the steering position being off-set slightly. They finally corrected that. It's much more comfortable to drive now. 
  6. Steering wheel controls. I'm glad GM went back to hard plastic buttons for these, vs. the soft push-buttons on the K2 models. The covers on those buttons always seemed worn out quickly on my friends' K2 trucks. I like the more durable, actionable feel of the plastic. 
  7. Infotainment Screen. I know a lot of people wish it were larger. I am not disappointed with the size. The screen is very crisp, and super responsive. Bluetooth engagement is very fast with my phone, and I like the display options on it. 
  8. Better wheels again. I'm so glad GM went back to real aluminum wheels, and not the chrome-clad stuff on the previous generation trucks. My 20" 2007 aluminum wheels looked great, and I think these new aluminum wheels are the best ones GM has made in a long time. 
  9. Rear tailgate. I love the electronic button and remote unlock /drop from the key fab. The lightness of the tailgate is also amazing. The bigger step footwells in the bumper are a great improvement, too.
  10. Cargo bed. Wow, this thing is legit. I cannot believe how big it is. I'm glad it's steel still, too. The increased tie-down options is a huge plus. 
  11. Rear seat storage. I LOVE the storage compartments in the seat backs. Fantastic use of space. 
  12. Powertrain. I never wanted the TT 3.5L Ecoboost. I think it sounds terrible at the exhaust, and I don't want to tow 12,000# with a half ton up an 8% grade. I love the growl of my 5.3L V8, especially when I hammer on the gas. The new 8 Speed transmission took some getting used to (coming from my 4spd+OD 2007), but I've found that if you really drive the thing, it responds terrifically. Very smooth, and the acceleration from 30-50mph is impressive. Like... put you back into your seat fast. It is a lot of fun. 
  13. MPG. I've been averaging nearly 18mpg with my very in-town driving. This is WAY better than the 13/14 I was getting with my AFM 2007. The only time I've really done HWY driving was when I brought the truck home 200 miles from the dealer. I did 75mph avg (going 80mph the first hour), and got nearly 22mpg. Wow. 
  14. Capless fuel. Love this. 
  15. Ride quality. Wow, this truck is unbelievably quiet. It's still a truck, so it doesn't ride like a cloud, but it's very smooth on the HWY. The handling is very crisp, and I always feel like the truck is poised when moving around at high speeds. Never loose or rolling too much on body center. 
  16. Mirrors. I know some are puzzled by the placement of the mirrors on the door itself, but I find the FOV excellent with these. They are big, but not too big. And I really love the blind spot mirror in the corner of the driver's side mirror. Just not sure why they didn't put one on the passenger mirror, too. 
  17. Badging. Besides the aforementioned confusion about why GM put the Z71 badge on the front upper fenders, I really like how clean and empty the truck is of obnoxious brand badging. I really love the throwback "CHEVROLET" stamped into the rear tailgate, too. 
  18. Keyless Start/Stop/Entry. LOVE this. Leaving the fob in my pocket and pushing the really great buttons on the handle to unlock is excellent. GM did a great job with this. So far, the fob has worked flawlessly for me. 
  19. Option button placement. I really like the row of option buttons below the center stack. It's easy to reach them when resting my arm on the console, and very easy to see. Cleanly designed, too. I also like the new trailer brake placement, as well as the placement of the 4X4 selector/lights, etc. buttons on the left. 
  20. Dual exhaust tips. I personally think these look really good integrated into the bumper. Because they are, I don't have to worry about a lower rear clearance, backing into something that would rip the exhaust off. Plus, the engine tune coming out of these babies is awesome. It's fun to turn on the rear camera sitting at a stop light on a cold morning and watch the exhaust roll out of the dual tips. 
  21. Bose sound. I know the sound gurus out there have issues with Bose, but this is a huge improvement over the standard GM stereo system. 
  22. Bed outlet. Actually, the whole charging package on this truck is fantastic. USB and USB-C in the front console, center stack, and rear seat is excellent. Then having a full plug in the front console and rear bed is really nice. 
  23. Value. GM owners know our trucks hold their value really well. At just under $44K, I know this truck is going to hold its value for a long time, especially since it's a T1 model. A similarly optioned 2019 F-150 was around $61K. That's just crazy. Even though I have a beef with GM for not putting certain features in the truck at this trim / option level, I think the value is very good compared to Ford. 
  24. Rear headrests. I love these. Finally comfortable, and easy to move down and out of the way. The center drink holder / arm rest is also very nice. 
  25. Rocker panel paint. I like how GM did this, with the "roughed-up" paint job so it is more durable to chips, etc. 

There are probably other things that will come to my mind. If so, I will add them to this. 

Here's a pic of my truck attached. 

Hope this review is helpful to any prospective buyers! I'm no truck reviewing pro, nor am I a gearhead. But I've always loved owning trucks, and this new Silverado makes me feel proud when I drive down the road. I get a lot of head turns, and it's fun to own such a capable, enjoyable vehicle! 

IMG_2803.jpeg

• Like 12

Like you, I researched everything. I went from a 2016 Ford F-150 to 2019 Silverado RST with Z71 (later found out the 5.3 V8 doesn't have 4x4 Low unless I had the Z71, whew!).

I only wanted the best deal I could possibly get. Chevy was offering $10k off the newly designed 2019 models so that was a no-brainer for me and bought my first Chevy. MSRP'd at $54k, bought for $44k. I have All Star, Convenience II, Z71, our RSTs could be brothers.

First thing I noticed was the Silverado has better mirrors. The concave mirrors in my F-150 were so worthless, especially on the left side. The right side was not that great either, but Silverado's concave mirror is much better on the right.

If you went a trim higher on the F-150, it was $10k or $15k more. The highest was $70,000. With Chevrolet, a trim level up or down was only few thousand bucks' difference. Strangely, as for Ford, the higher trims all had center console shifter. I did not want that because the extra space was always nice. My F-150 was an XLT with center console but with a column shifter and I loved the space! So the Lariat and Platinum both were out.

The Silverado's dashboard feels a lot better than my F-150's dashboard which was all hard plastic. As for the cargo LED lights, like Ford, I could not turn it on from the bed but there's a 110V plug in the bed. I haven't camped in it and I am not sure if the plug would work but it'd be nice if I could have a tablet and watch movies in the back of my truck. However, I felt the F-150 had better positioned knobs and switches, pretty intuitive for me. I'm still struggling with the Silverado and I have to get my eyes off the road to look for it.

Your 2007 had 26 gallons but I'm sure the gas mileage was much worse. The 24 gallon in the 2019 still gives a much better range with a more efficient engine. My 2016 F-150 had the large 36-gallon tank and it went well with my 5.0 V-8 that had 16 mpg. My 5.3 V-8 in the Silverado has been giving me impressive gas mileage, usually 24 on highways. Overall, I'm getting 19 in both.

LED lights are definitely nice! I can see a lot more while driving on the winding Highway 74 to Lake Elsinore. And I agree about the air vents in the back, my Ford had that and I didn't buy the 2018 because of that.

The cargo bed is amazing, I don't know how Chevy did it because the 5.5' in my Ford was too small so I had to go for the 6.5'. With the Chevrolet, the 5.8' is 63 cubic feet, better than Ford's 6.5' at 62 cubic feet. I looked it up and I believe it, my Silverado's short 5.8' bed is spacious as the F-150's standard 6.5' bed.

Storage compartments in the rear seats, yes! I love that too, that's where I put in my cigars!

I think all cars now have capless fuel. My 2012 F-150 had that and I could never go back.

Keyless entry, just be sure you keep the keys away from the truck otherwise it will drain the battery! I agree the Bose sound is way better than any of the trucks out there! And USB-C plugs is the way to go, it's 2019 and I see more people using it. I had to change all of my cables to USB-C to USB-C and I'm glad I did that.

Agree about Chevrolet trucks holding value very well. My 2012 F-150 was $39k, bought for $29k, traded in for $24k after four years of driving. My 2016 F-150 didn't hold as well, was $49k, bought for $39k, and traded in for $31k after three years of driving. I expect Chevrolet to fare slightly better. My 2008 Benz, MSRP at $40k, no discount, and traded in for a lousy $13k after four years. Never again!

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

My 2008 Benz, MSRP at $40k, no discount, and traded in for a lousy $13k after four years. Never again!

Ha! Yeah, I paid $20K for my 2007 Silverado with 18K miles in 2009, and I traded it to the dealer for $9600 with 125K on it. They're selling it for $12K now. 

Paid $33K for my wife's 2007 Acura MDX in 2009 with 30K miles. Sold it on Craigslist last spring for $6K with 130K on it. Lousy. 

4 hours ago, econometrics said:

I've owned my 2019 RST Z71 crew for about a month now. In as much time, I've started to get a firm feel for what I like and do not like about the truck. I thought I would share my thoughts here... but take them for what they're worth! 

A little background... 

1. I drive a whopping 8,000-10,000 miles per year, due to my job having me out of town a lot. 70% of my driving is city driving, and my daily commute is about a 14 mile round trip on suburban 45mph roads with stoplights. 
  2. I upgraded to the 2019 RST from a 2007 LT2 Texas Edition Silverado Crew RWD, which I put about 110K miles on after buying it used in 2009. 
  3. I researched a new truck for about 3-4 months. I looked heavily at the F-150, as well as certified and new 2017/2018 Silverados and Sierras. I've driven Chevys since 2001, but I really consider myself brand agnostic, looking for the best product on the market for my needs at the best price. 
  4. My budget was pretty flexible, but I wanted something $45K or less. 

After visiting a good friend of mine, who owns a Chevy dealership in West TX, I realized I did not want a K2 Silverado. This reduced my decision to a 2019 Silverado or a 2018/2019 F-150. Ultimately, I felt the better value was in the 2019 Silverado, and I ended up liking the truck more than what I was finding in the F-150.

I went with the RST, as I'm very over the chrome look. I think the monochrome appearance looks way more "modern", and I just generally liked it more. I didn't need a 2" lift and aggressive tires, so I passed on a Trail Boss. I do, however, LOVE the black front ends and wheels on them. 

My RST MRSP was $53,800. I got All Star + Convenience II, Z71 packages, etc. A similarly optioned 2019 F-150 was around $61K. Sheesh. I paid $43,660 for it + TTL, etc. The only other option I could have added was Safety I. Because there were only 3 Satin Steel RSTs with the options I wanted within 500 miles of me, I sacrificed Safety I... but I don't really miss it. I like having the corner blind spot mirrors vs. the blind spot indicators, etc. 

First, let me start with some of the things I do not like... 

1. Trim options missing. I realize that there are 3 trims higher than the RST (Trail Boss, LTZ and High Country), but I really wish GM gave some more interior features for the RST and TB. For those not wanting to have all the chrome on the truck, we have to sacrifice features that were on the monochrome LTZ Z71 in 2018 - seat memory, ventilated seats, electronic rear child locks, particularly. Beyond this, I think for an MSRP of $54K, we should also get a digital dash center like the available tech package offers on the LTZ & HC. Why not just make that an option for another $$$? I would have bought it. 
  2. No gas/brake pedal adjustment. To be honest, I never really found this feature all that great in GM rentals I've driven. However, the new Silverado pedals seem to be positioned a little too far forward. Combine this with the fact that the telescoping steering wheel does not, IMO, telescope towards the driver enough... and I just haven't felt like I have a comfortable driving position with the 10-way power seat. I'm 5'11", so not short or tall. I've finally adjusted and found a position that works, but my 2007 seemed to have a better, natural position for my arms, elbows, feet, etc. 
  3. No power passenger seat. For $54K, c'mon, GM. 
  4. No built-in nav. I use Apple Car Play, but it costs me an extra $600 to have the nav installed on my RST? That's lame. It's 2019, GM. I really only want this for the speed limit indicator in the driver info center (DIC) in the dash, ha. 
  5. Badge placement. Why did they put the Z71 badge on the upper front fender? Weird. Put it as a sticker on the top rear fender, like it has always been. 
  6. No color-matched mirror covers. Mine are glossy black... which look okay with my Satin Steel Metallic paint job, but why not just color match them to the body? 
  7. Lacking LED lights. I don't get why you put LEDs in every other place on the truck lighting besides the turn signals and the back up lights. That's just weird. 
  8. Dashboard. This befuddles me. It looks cheaper and more basic (besides the DIC) than previous models. I realize most of us just look at the digital MPH on the DIC now, but it just looks cheap. 
  9. Power down windows. Why only for the driver, and not the others?
  10. Bed / Cargo LED lights. Why no switch in the bed to turn these on? 
  11. Mid-vehicle signal. With a truck this big, I don't get my GM did not put a turn signal indicator somewhere on the middle of the vehicle. I get nervous changing lanes on the 6-wide stretches of interstate going 75mph in DFW. This would have helped a lot. 
  12. Plastic-y interior. Though I do like the feel of the interior overall, now that my truck has started to collect some dust / dirt in the interior, I'm noticing the cheap-looking plastic mold feel of some of the elements in the interior. I appreciate the wood finishes in places, but that hard plastic feel around the console, on the doors, etc. just does not feel like $54K to me. It does not really feel "cheap", but just not as plush as I would have hoped for. I still think it feels better than the F-150 interiors I've been in, with all the knobs, buttons and different plastic components the Fords tend to have. 
  13. Fuel capacity. I don't get why GM did not create a bigger fuel tank on this new model. 24 gallons, seriously? My 2007 had 26 gal, and even my wife's minivan has 21! Fail. 
  14. Interior color options. Two options, seriously? 
  15. Antenna. Again... $54K truck and we still have a 3 foot whip antenna? It was the first thing I got rid of, less than 10 min after I got home from the dealer. So ugly. 

Things I like... 

1. Design. I know this is polarizing, but I think it looks amazing. In 1-2 years, after Ford refreshes, I guarantee this truck will look like the forerunner in style, and not the oddity. The body lines, the grill, everything looks fantastic, IMO. I like the Silverado much better than the Sierra, too. The grill space on the GMC is just too massive and hollow-looking to me. 
  2. LED lights. The DRLs, LED tail lights, and the LED headlights are fantastic. 
  3. Interior updates. GM finally made a rear seat with good legroom, and comfortable seating position. Adding the rear air vents is honestly what sold me on getting a 2019 vs. a 2018. About time. I love the spaciousness of the cab, and though many people feel the center stack and overall interior feels "cheap", I feel otherwise. I think the buttons are all well placed, and I love that GM is still doing manual HVAC knobs. 
  4. No center console shifter. At first, when I was looking at the F-150s, I thought this was an upgrade vs. a column shifter. Then I sat in one. I like GM's way better. The new one feels fantastic, too. I like that I have the entire lower console available, and that I do not have to reach over the shifter in order to get my coffee. 
  5. Centering of steering wheel. GM finally got this right. All those years of the steering position being off-set slightly. They finally corrected that. It's much more comfortable to drive now. 
  6. Steering wheel controls. I'm glad GM went back to hard plastic buttons for these, vs. the soft push-buttons on the K2 models. The covers on those buttons always seemed worn out quickly on my friends' K2 trucks. I like the more durable, actionable feel of the plastic. 
  7. Infotainment Screen. I know a lot of people wish it were larger. I am not disappointed with the size. The screen is very crisp, and super responsive. Bluetooth engagement is very fast with my phone, and I like the display options on it. 
  8. Better wheels again. I'm so glad GM went back to real aluminum wheels, and not the chrome-clad stuff on the previous generation trucks. My 20" 2007 aluminum wheels looked great, and I think these new aluminum wheels are the best ones GM has made in a long time. 
  9. Rear tailgate. I love the electronic button and remote unlock /drop from the key fab. The lightness of the tailgate is also amazing. The bigger step footwells in the bumper are a great improvement, too.
  10. Cargo bed. Wow, this thing is legit. I cannot believe how big it is. I'm glad it's steel still, too. The increased tie-down options is a huge plus. 
  11. Rear seat storage. I LOVE the storage compartments in the seat backs. Fantastic use of space. 
  12. Powertrain. I never wanted the TT 3.5L Ecoboost. I think it sounds terrible at the exhaust, and I don't want to tow 12,000# with a half ton up an 8% grade. I love the growl of my 5.3L V8, especially when I hammer on the gas. The new 8 Speed transmission took some getting used to (coming from my 4spd+OD 2007), but I've found that if you really drive the thing, it responds terrifically. Very smooth, and the acceleration from 30-50mph is impressive. Like... put you back into your seat fast. It is a lot of fun. 
  13. MPG. I've been averaging nearly 18mpg with my very in-town driving. This is WAY better than the 13/14 I was getting with my AFM 2007. The only time I've really done HWY driving was when I brought the truck home 200 miles from the dealer. I did 75mph avg (going 80mph the first hour), and got nearly 22mpg. Wow. 
  14. Capless fuel. Love this. 
  15. Ride quality. Wow, this truck is unbelievably quiet. It's still a truck, so it doesn't ride like a cloud, but it's very smooth on the HWY. The handling is very crisp, and I always feel like the truck is poised when moving around at high speeds. Never loose or rolling too much on body center. 
  16. Mirrors. I know some are puzzled by the placement of the mirrors on the door itself, but I find the FOV excellent with these. They are big, but not too big. And I really love the blind spot mirror in the corner of the driver's side mirror. Just not sure why they didn't put one on the passenger mirror, too. 
  17. Badging. Besides the aforementioned confusion about why GM put the Z71 badge on the front upper fenders, I really like how clean and empty the truck is of obnoxious brand badging. I really love the throwback "CHEVROLET" stamped into the rear tailgate, too. 
  18. Keyless Start/Stop/Entry. LOVE this. Leaving the fob in my pocket and pushing the really great buttons on the handle to unlock is excellent. GM did a great job with this. So far, the fob has worked flawlessly for me. 
  19. Option button placement. I really like the row of option buttons below the center stack. It's easy to reach them when resting my arm on the console, and very easy to see. Cleanly designed, too. I also like the new trailer brake placement, as well as the placement of the 4X4 selector/lights, etc. buttons on the left. 
  20. Dual exhaust tips. I personally think these look really good integrated into the bumper. Because they are, I don't have to worry about a lower rear clearance, backing into something that would rip the exhaust off. Plus, the engine tune coming out of these babies is awesome. It's fun to turn on the rear camera sitting at a stop light on a cold morning and watch the exhaust roll out of the dual tips. 
  21. Bose sound. I know the sound gurus out there have issues with Bose, but this is a huge improvement over the standard GM stereo system. 
  22. Bed outlet. Actually, the whole charging package on this truck is fantastic. USB and USB-C in the front console, center stack, and rear seat is excellent. Then having a full plug in the front console and rear bed is really nice. 
  23. Value. GM owners know our trucks hold their value really well. At just under $44K, I know this truck is going to hold its value for a long time, especially since it's a T1 model. A similarly optioned 2019 F-150 was around $61K. That's just crazy. Even though I have a beef with GM for not putting certain features in the truck at this trim / option level, I think the value is very good compared to Ford. 
  24. Rear headrests. I love these. Finally comfortable, and easy to move down and out of the way. The center drink holder / arm rest is also very nice. 
  25. Rocker panel paint. I like how GM did this, with the "roughed-up" paint job so it is more durable to chips, etc. 

There are probably other things that will come to my mind. If so, I will add them to this. 

Here's a pic of my truck attached. 

Hope this review is helpful to any prospective buyers! I'm no truck reviewing pro, nor am I a gearhead. But I've always loved owning trucks, and this new Silverado makes me feel proud when I drive down the road. I get a lot of head turns, and it's fun to own such a capable, enjoyable vehicle! 

IMG_2803.jpeg

Thanks for posting your review on the RST.  I have been looking at pictures and reading posts on this site for years, but your review actually encouraged me to make an account and contribute a post.  I have been looking for awhile now at the RST and while I love so many things on the RST (e.g. monochrome, wheels, dual exhaust, grille, body lines, etc) I also share some of the same feelings about the negatives on the truck.

1. While the interior is functional and still nice, I too would prefer a digital cluster that doesnt seem so dated.  I had a '15 LTZ and that had the Z71 logo on the cluster which looked better.  The RAM has their logo in the dash and REBEL with a red trim on that truck.  The RAM has so many minor details in the interior which give it a more refined look.  I definitely dont need the 12" screen and who knows how well those trucks are built, but it seems GM mailed it in on the new interior.  With that said, I am waiting to see what the 2020 Suburban and Tahoe interior will look like.  That may give at least some indication of where GM stands on interior improvements.  They need to do something, bc the new Expedition interior looks nice, while the Navigator interior is unreal.  Seems like a lacking interior has become standard across the board with Chevy, GMC, and even Cadillac.  My fear is that they make a drastic improvement to the interior for 2020, as well as work as some of the minor kinks , such as the rear window leak

2. The lack of interior colors also befuddles me.  Both Ford and Ram have GM beat there.  I really like how the Ram and even some Fords have that elegant red stitching on the seats.  Coming from a '15 LTZ, I think the layout is better, but I'm not sure the interior is all that upgraded, which is a disappointment especially considering I will be paying around the same amount for less options on an RST.

The real question moving forward is whether GM will respond to all the criticism about the interior.  Despite some backlash, I think they nailed the exterior.  The RST looks sporty with the dual exhaust and painted grille, and I'll take the appearance of any GMC or Chevy over RAM and Ford.  I think the 1st quarter numbers (with RAM outselling Chevy) should be digested with caution as RAM launched their trucks earlier and offer monster incentives.  Did you have any reservations about purchasing a truck in the first model year?  The only thing I am undecided about is the bed size.  Seems like the short bed is best in class in terms of size, but for just $300 more or so, I would love to have the extra 10 inches for hauling lumber and materials.

Great looking truck you have there!!

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, LumberMack said:

Thanks for posting your review on the RST.  I have been looking at pictures and reading posts on this site for years, but your review actually encouraged me to make an account and contribute a post.  I have been looking for awhile now at the RST and while I love so many things on the RST (e.g. monochrome, wheels, dual exhaust, grille, body lines, etc) I also share some of the same feelings about the negatives on the truck.

1. While the interior is functional and still nice, I too would prefer a digital cluster that doesnt seem so dated.  I had a '15 LTZ and that had the Z71 logo on the cluster which looked better.  The RAM has their logo in the dash and REBEL with a red trim on that truck.  The RAM has so many minor details in the interior which give it a more refined look.  I definitely dont need the 12" screen and who knows how well those trucks are built, but it seems GM mailed it in on the new interior.  With that said, I am waiting to see what the 2020 Suburban and Tahoe interior will look like.  That may give at least some indication of where GM stands on interior improvements.  They need to do something, bc the new Expedition interior looks nice, while the Navigator interior is unreal.  Seems like a lacking interior has become standard across the board with Chevy, GMC, and even Cadillac.  My fear is that they make a drastic improvement to the interior for 2020, as well as work as some of the minor kinks , such as the rear window leak

2. The lack of interior colors also befuddles me.  Both Ford and Ram have GM beat there.  I really like how the Ram and even some Fords have that elegant red stitching on the seats.  Coming from a '15 LTZ, I think the layout is better, but I'm not sure the interior is all that upgraded, which is a disappointment especially considering I will be paying around the same amount for less options on an RST.

The real question moving forward is whether GM will respond to all the criticism about the interior.  Despite some backlash, I think they nailed the exterior.  The RST looks sporty with the dual exhaust and painted grille, and I'll take the appearance of any GMC or Chevy over RAM and Ford.  I think the 1st quarter numbers (with RAM outselling Chevy) should be digested with caution as RAM launched their trucks earlier and offer monster incentives.  Did you have any reservations about purchasing a truck in the first model year?  The only thing I am undecided about is the bed size.  Seems like the short bed is best in class in terms of size, but for just $300 more or so, I would love to have the extra 10 inches for hauling lumber and materials.

Great looking truck you have there!!

Glad you jumped into the conversation! 

I think your speculation about the 2020’s is right. I have been thinking they will likely make some interior improvements there, too. Especially after some real world feedback on some of the shortcomings (outdated dashboard, etc). I think Ram took it too far with all the techy stuff, too. Seems like a lot more stuff that will break. 

As far as my thoughts on buying in the first year of a new model... I had a GREAT experience with my 2007. Never had one single issue with it. The upside is that your truck will look “new” longer than most. My 2007 still looked relevantly modern in 2013, since GM didn’t change the body much until K2 in 2014. 

But the T1 / 2019 truck changes are the biggest since 2007... so that did put some holy fear in me a little. My dealership owner is a close friend, so I know he will take good care of me if I have a bad experience. 

I’ll see what GM does on the refresh year for 2021, and maybe trade in then. Who knows. I won’t keep this 2019 as long as I kept my 2007, though. Hard to believe I bought that one for $20K, Lol.

“Those were the days...” ?

Edited by econometrics

Thanks for the info, the lack of adjustable pedals kinda of disappoints me along with hearing that the telescoping wheel doesn't come out enough, this was one of my chief complaints on the 2017 Colorado I owned for 2 months and hated... I'm planning on keeping my 2016 for 2-3 more years so I am hoping they add that feature back to the mix at some point...  Kind of odd that you don't have power passenger seat on that level of truck my LT has it, I can't remember the package but, it came with power passenger seat, power pedal adjust & power rear window... Rarely use the power passenger seat but, it's nice to have... RST is likely the trim I'd buy if I was buying today... 

• Like 1

Yah you nailed the review. My biggest gripe is no automatic dimming rear view and/or side mirrors. 57k msrp...

I think there was a link on this forum or somewhere else that a GMC exec was saying they have heard the complaints on the interiors, especially the Denali, and will be taking action. Just expect another 3-5k added to the msrp but then it will be in line with the other two truck makers. I feel like the interiors are great for the LT trims and lower but if I paid high country or Denali money I would be disappointed.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I agree with every single little thing you said.  And I am also in the DFW Area.  More on the FW side though.  I purchased a Red Trail Boss with Safety and Leather packages a couple of weeks ago. 

Another small gripe is the dumbed down rear view mirror.  I'd like to upgrade what I have to at least have a compass,temp read out and auto dimmer.

And as far as the antenna goes, I park in a parking garage in downtown Fort Worth.  This terrified me at first, trying to park a Trail Boss in there.  The maximum clearance in the garage is 6' 10".  I think I come in at about 6' 6".  Give or take.  Having that antenna worked as kind of a safety for me.  I have since put on a slightly shorter one, but it does help know where I can go and where I can't.

Edited by brisk00
Added antenna info
  • Like 1

Good point about the rear view mirror. I should add that to the list of dislikes. No auto dim really is antiquated. 

Also, I find that my temp readout in the infotainment screen is always higher than the actual temp by quite a few degrees. 

Edited by econometrics

If you are in Dallas I can help you add the Factory nav for less than that.  I added it to my 19 Silverado and it works great.  Also speed limit shows in the cluster now.  You can buy the SD card online daily cheap.  I found mine on ebay for 99$ and they included the activation code required to add the calibration to your truck.  I have the MDI 2 so I upgraded the calibrations myself.  took just a few mins. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, JD214 said:

If you are in Dallas I can help you add the Factory nav for less than that.  I added it to my 19 Silverado and it works great.  Also speed limit shows in the cluster now.  You can buy the SD card online daily cheap.  I found mine on ebay for 99$ and they included the activation code required to add the calibration to your truck.  I have the MDI 2 so I upgraded the calibrations myself.  took just a few mins. 

Wow, really? I had wondered if there was a cheaper, non-dealer way to do this, since it's just a simple software update/refresh. Yeah, that would be great if you could help me out with that. I live just W of DFW airport. 

Great post above and I agree with all the comments.

When I 1st got my RST, I also was disappointed that the passenger seat was not 'Power' operated.  However, since I nap almost daily at lunch (in the passenger seat) I am now actually glad its manual.   I can quickly recline for nappy time.  The driver power seat SHOULD include 2 memory settings but it has none. Booooooooo

Another item to add to the negatives is that the RST does not come with rear wheel well covers.  If I had noticed this, I would have told the dealer to throw them in as a condition for purchase.

Overall, the RST is one bad @ss Rig and I am stoked on it!

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Street Queen said:

Great post above and I agree with all the comments.

When I 1st got my RST, I also was disappointed that the passenger seat was not 'Power' operated.  However, since I nap almost daily at lunch (in the passenger seat) I am now actually glad its manual.   I can quickly recline for nappy time.  The driver power seat SHOULD include 2 memory settings but it has none. Booooooooo

Another item to add to the negatives is that the RST does not come with rear wheel well covers.  If I had noticed this, I would have told the dealer to throw them in as a condition for purchase.

Overall, the RST is one bad @ss Rig and I am stoked on it!

I do think the lack of passenger power seat is not that big of a deal. Do I think GM went cheap on not adding that? Yes. But in reality, there's SO much legroom and space with the passenger seat, that I've found most people who get in the truck have no need to adjust the seat. 

I had the dealer add rear wheel well liners on mine. I think the black looks better, and the extra protection is very necessary there with these big ole' wheels. Thankfully, they're not too expensive and easy to instal if you want to add them yourself. 

• Like 1