15' Silverado Lifter Collapse

I have a 2015 Silverado with the 5.3L that just had the number 7 lifter collapse.... Just normal acceleration and lost power. Sounds like this is a common issue with the AFM engines...

I took it in to the Chevy dealer and they want way too much to replace the lifter and check the cam for wear. Of course, my warranty was done 20k ago at 160k so I'm wondering what are my best options. Does it make sense to repair and hope nothing else goes wrong or spend the money on a new or salvage engine with low km and pay to put that in?? I'd like to keep the truck for a long time if possible. What would you do in this situation?

How much does the dealer want? I’d take it to a local truck mechanic. Probably much cheaper than a dealer. I think I’d fix it and maybe put in an upgraded non AFM cam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Just my 2 cents, I'd fix it myself. You're looking at an expensive repair regardless of the route you take. Just a guess, but you're looking at 10+ plus hours at approximately $100/hour for both routes you've mentioned. Also, a good mechanic is worth every cent! My only concern with a salvage motor would be running into the same issue. A new motor or total rebuild is way expensive. How common are lifter issues on an LS?

How are your mechanic skills? Swapping out lifters is a very big job, but fairly easy if you have some skill. A backyard mechanic should be able to get it done within a weekend barring too many beers. Be aware that the heads need to come off to get to the lifters. Only my opinion, but I would change all the lifters, in both banks. Also, I'd clean up any sludge and carbon while the heads are off, maybe change the timing chain too. A micrometer and a borescope would be nice for inspection and can be had on the cheap. Pulling the cam is a bit more work but not that bad. Almost any machine shop, or even the stealership, should be able to inspect it for you if you're not comfortable making that determination. Older Chilton's manuals outlined these things really well, but I can't speak of their newer offerings. Youtube videos can probably help you determine if you want to try this.

I'm the type that keeps vehicles for well over 10 years and I'm cheap. :rolleyes: For a 4 year old truck, I think it's worth repairing especially if you want to keep it and it's not showing problems in other areas. If you want to just dump it, sell it cheap.

The dealer wants almost $8k to swap out all lifters, inspect cam, flush all fluids... found another mechanic that can do a complete engine swap for about $5k so looking into a salvage 5.3l with same year so everything matches. However, the same engine with less km's still means AFM potential issue further on. I've heard of guys permanently turning off the V4 mode with a chip. Does anyone know what kind of chip or tuning that could do this? Also, if the AFM issue is not common then maybe this one was a lemon and I'm in the clear... :)

My mechanic skills are not bad but I don't have the time since this is my daily driver for work... on a bit of a time crunch... although I could repair and sell the original engine after I put in a lower km mill.. maybe claw back a grand? Dunno but it all helpes.

I will definitely keep the truck until its worn out and done!

Thanks for the replies. 

Edited by SilverApache11

23 hours ago, SilverApache11 said:

I have a 2015 Silverado with the 5.3L that just had the number 7 lifter collapse.... Just normal acceleration and lost power. Sounds like this is a common issue with the AFM engines...

I took it in to the Chevy dealer and they want way too much to replace the lifter and check the cam for wear. Of course, my warranty was done 20k ago at 160k so I'm wondering what are my best options. Does it make sense to repair and hope nothing else goes wrong or spend the money on a new or salvage engine with low km and pay to put that in?? I'd like to keep the truck for a long time if possible. What would you do in this situation?

Yeah, find out where your good Old school mechanic is? NEW CAM,Lifters,Valve guide Seals, Timing Chain....VLOM SCREEN...Check VLOM for any plugged passages.  Probably rest of vehicle is fine?  Run it for another 160K+

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't think the AFM issue on these trucks is as bad as the previous generation, but that said I still don't trust them. I had mine tuned out but if it becomes a problem I'm gonna swap with non-AFM lifters.

Personally, I'd have your current engine lifters swapped and cam checked. Although unlikely you don't know if the salvage engine will have the same issue in the future, so you may be just delaying this issue not fixing it. As was said, you can prob find a local mechanic that will do it for less. I see that as the best option.

If you decide to tune the current/future engine there are a few options out there but the consensus on this forum seems to be Black Bear performance or Diablew tuned diablo tuner.

Yeah, find out where your good Old school mechanic is? NEW CAM,Lifters,Valve guide Seals, Timing Chain....VLOM SCREEN...Check VLOM for any plugged passages.  Probably rest of vehicle is fine?  Run it for another 160K+
This^^^ worth its weight in platimun... No point in buying a salvage engine when you have a platform to build from.

Even if you disable afm your still left with shotty parts that will fail and cause the same issues. Its just a wait for it game at that point.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

If you are paying someone to take it apart then I would just find a junkyard engine with low miles and swap it entirely. That will be the fastest way to fix the problem. If you manage to get another car to drive in the meantime then I'd rebuild the top end with AFM delete lifters and a new cam.

Any performance shop that work on LS/LT engines in your area?  Cam swaps are very common on these engines, and any performance shop should be able to handle it for way less money.  Then just call up Blackbear and get a custom tune ordered.

28 minutes ago, SilverApache11 said:

I have found a mechanic that can do the repairs for a reasonable price. Those damn dealers are a hose job on any repair work.

I appreciate the comments! Thanks guys!

Did you decide to replace with non-AFM lifters? If so I'd be interested in the total cost to you as well as your experience over time.

• Thanks 1

I had the lifters, cam, etc replaced with a kit from TSP when I had a lifter fail in my '10.  Kit from TSP was ~$650 and I had a local shop do the work since I was in the middle of a shutdown at work and wouldn't have the time to do it myself.  They charged ~$2000.  I also ordered a Diablo Intune I2030 programmer.  All told, I was out about $3000.  I'm sure the pricing is different for a newer truck but that should give you a ballpark number.

• Like 2