Air Intake 2019/2020 5.3 Trail Boss

Just curious if anyone has any experience with an after market cold air intake system on a 5.3l  Trail Boss. Worth it? I was told by my dealership service department that an aftermarket brand would not void my warranty. 

Edited by JD3176
Spelling error

I installed a Volant CIA with power core filter on my '19 LT.  

I had one on my '08 and '14.  

I would say the other years it did sound a little "throatier" than this one but maybe some of the wheel noise is over shadowing it too.  

Install, like the other years was easy.  

72478158_10106753248981870_4057996912144416768_n.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have never had an issue with a CAI on any vehicle I have ever owned. The last two I have purchased have been roto-fabs for my 18 Camaro and 19 Silverado both 6.2. Speaking about the truck system it really cleans up the engine bay. Noise didn’t increase that much has a nice growl when you get into it. Definitely seat of the pants it feels more responsive/powerful. No numbers to backup. Mileage was up at first but as of late I have been getting on it more and it has settled back to where it was 17-18 daily.

1b1ba4d21a81a31d7ae6e8dfc9a14df3.jpg

Ryan B.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree with Ryan. I have another Rotofab on a TB 5.3. I feel like there definitely is a growl when you get in the mid RPM range. I may have gotten a tiny bit of performance back after putting larger tires on. I have no complaints. One of the best parts about it in my opinion is getting rid of all the plastic junk under the hood. It really makes the engine bay look much better. 3b9e286270654b9064dadec61ba2dced.jpgThe install was also pretty easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 11/4/2019 at 10:36 PM, OnTheReel said:

3D9FAA27-EAB2-4880-8332-D901B42673DF.thumb.jpeg.f40aead31dc84038853174b5c6d4d348.jpeg

Not on a 5.3 but I’ve been very happy with my Roto-Fab so far. Looks great, sounds great. Cleans up the engine bay a lot. Some gains to be had as well.

On 11/5/2019 at 12:54 PM, RyanbabZ71 said:

I have never had an issue with a CAI on any vehicle I have ever owned. The last two I have purchased have been roto-fabs for my 18 Camaro and 19 Silverado both 6.2. Speaking about the truck system it really cleans up the engine bay. Noise didn’t increase that much has a nice growl when you get into it. Definitely seat of the pants it feels more responsive/powerful. No numbers to backup. Mileage was up at first but as of late I have been getting on it more and it has settled back to where it was 17-18 daily.

1b1ba4d21a81a31d7ae6e8dfc9a14df3.jpg

Ryan B.

On 11/6/2019 at 5:55 AM, Chance1025 said:

I agree with Ryan. I have another Rotofab on a TB 5.3. I feel like there definitely is a growl when you get in the mid RPM range. I may have gotten a tiny bit of performance back after putting larger tires on. I have no complaints. One of the best parts about it in my opinion is getting rid of all the plastic junk under the hood. It really makes the engine bay look much better. 3b9e286270654b9064dadec61ba2dced.jpgThe install was also pretty easy.

We're glad to hear that you guys are happy with your Roto-fab CAI! We appreciate your feedback.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 11/6/2019 at 7:55 AM, Chance1025 said:

I realize that I am very late to this thread, but just to make sure, you would recommend the RF CAI for the 5.3L Trailboss?

On 4/25/2020 at 11:39 PM, Ranger Dan said:

I realize that I am very late to this thread, but just to make sure, you would recommend the RF CAI for the 5.3L Trailboss?

I would for sure! I don’t know how much true change in power there is. Not too obvious anyway. But it cleans up the engine bay and delivers a pretty subtle but nice growl the higher your RPM’s. I love it.

Rotofab here on my ‘20 gmc 5.3l 10sp X31.   Love it.  Excellent build quality, perfect fit & finish, no issues throwing codes, and legit getting about 2mpg increase.  Averaging 18.5mpg over 2000 miles and driving like I stole it, no babying the throttle. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I would suggest the S & B CAI. They claim the most air flow out of all the competitors, and for $329 its a steal. I am ordering mine tomorrow. I had one on my 2018 and the fit and finish was fantastic. The seat of the pants performance felt better and the growl was fantastic. Can't wait for my new one!

• Like 1