Harmonics are a very big deal today. Back 10+ years when the frames weren't as stiff, it wasn't as big an issue. Now that frames are getting stiffer and stiffer, as payloads and towing cap. keeps going up, harmonics are going to show up. I remember on the intro of the '07s an Engr. made a statement at the grand opening 'we paid a lot of attention to harmonics'. Since I deal with harmonics in my job, I thought that was cool, and went and bought an '07, and really liked it, except the first 6sp trans were really bad, even after 2-3 computer updates. Then I got an '11 and the trans issues were fixed, but it vibrates at highway speeds, and is intermittent, etc.... a lot like all the problems raised in this thread. Going to Bridgestones helped the most, and now it's manageable, but I am not buying a new truck till they figure this out, and somehow tell me/us, what they did to fix it. I know for a fact that there is still something wrong with my '11, but it will never get fixed now. The new issue could be many things, and I hope they figure it out ASAP. If it is harmonics, it can be fixed, sometimes really easy, sometimes not. If it's balancing of components, that's easy by QC control with vendors, etc..., but then GM has to do some damage control and fast. At least it sounds like they are trying, just probably not fast enough for the majority of us.

Harmonics are a very big deal today. Back 10+ years when the frames weren't as stiff, it wasn't as big an issue. Now that frames are getting stiffer and stiffer, as payloads and towing cap. keeps going up, harmonics are going to show up. I remember on the intro of the '07s an Engr. made a statement at the grand opening 'we paid a lot of attention to harmonics'. Since I deal with harmonics in my job, I thought that was cool, and went and bought an '07, and really liked it, except the first 6sp trans were really bad, even after 2-3 computer updates. Then I got an '11 and the trans issues were fixed, but it vibrates at highway speeds, and is intermittent, etc.... a lot like all the problems raised in this thread. Going to Bridgestones helped the most, and now it's manageable, but I am not buying a new truck till they figure this out, and somehow tell me/us, what they did to fix it. I know for a fact that there is still something wrong with my '11, but it will never get fixed now. The new issue could be many things, and I hope they figure it out ASAP. If it is harmonics, it can be fixed, sometimes really easy, sometimes not. If it's balancing of components, that's easy by QC control with vendors, etc..., but then GM has to do some damage control and fast. At least it sounds like they are trying, just probably not fast enough for the majority of us.

I agree with what you said. I just wonder why it affects some and not all. If in fact it is the torque converter and the TCM, was there just a bad batch that made it thru QC and those are the ones we are hearing about here? Or is there more than one issue that is causing the vibration like driveshaft, tires etc..

Mike

We may never know, hopefully in today's media age, GM will tell us, they should. Harmonics are very finicky, and change with different components, weights, structure, etc... I learned that the new hydraulic body mounts are a response to the frames getting so stiff, that a lot of us, 'feel', minor road variations, mostly at high speed. A fix? I don't know. Some have stated that their trucks ride like a 'caddy', which of course says something.

I'm leaning toward component issues, but time will tell.

I am in manufacturing, and I can tell you that new products can never be foolproof, never. Below a 5% failure rate is considered great for a new product. Different companies have different standards.

So far it seems GM is standing up for most if not all issues, and remember that they have private dealers to go through too, which adds another layer, good and bad.

• Like 1

I for one am one the owners who's vehicle rides butter smooth, No issues or anything similiar to what has been discussed here. I fully understand harmonics, rode a harley for the 35 years :D

Mike

Didn't Ford have serious vibration issues several years ago with their F150 truck? I remember reading a lot of complaints on Ford forums. Was it a design issue? I wonder if GM is not going though the same thing with the 2014 model 1/2 tons.

Well add me to the list...

2014 sierra SLT AT, crew cab, regular box, 3.42 gear.

I've had it for 2 weeks now and it has 1200km's. Going to the dealer tomorrow....service guy on the phone said they have been seeing snow and ice build up on the rims causing an issue... Well the truck is spotless so I'm interested to see what they say.

very disappointed.

Today I asked about this problem at my local Chevy dealer and they acted as if this was news to them. Just how widespread is this vibration issue? Just out of curiosity I will test drive a new 2014 Silverado with Goodyear Wrangler tires and see how it rides.

Edited by pm26

If you are expecting an honest answer from your GM dealer, you better be really good friends with him. If like most sales people, their job is to sell a truck, they have no idea of problems related to the truck after it's purchase.

If this problem isn't widespread, it is possible for a service department not to be familiar with it.

Mike

Now my dealer is telling me that it has something to do with the new frame......... A bunch of bull _hit if you ask me... ..... they have no answers............

And customer service we are still waiting for a answer Johnathan A....

Dont buy a 2014 silverado ..........Dont buy A 2014 silverado........

If it is an issue with the frame, that could relate back to harmonics. It could be a bad run of steel, poor heat treat processes, poor assembly processes, or any number of things. I would think if it was a frame causing problems, it would be a non repairable problem though and a potentially random problem. If it was a material problem, you would think it would be sequential serial numbers produced at the same time from that same lot of steel.

Mike

I have had my truck for 7 months now and taken this truck to the dealer 6 times for the same vibration issue. first they balanced the tires, that did nothing then they changed 2 tires out, they did a road force test on them and said 2 tires were bad well that didn't fix it. then they changed out 2 drive shafts that's not it ether so then they say its the differential, so they change that out too u can imagine how long that took, (4weeks) well that didn't fix the problem either. I got tired of this BS so I simply reported it to the DPS lemon law and field all necessary paper work. I guess that got their attention because after bout a week a lady from GM calls me said they were going to send an engineer to my dealer and drive my truck to see if it is shaking. SO I had to drive 5 hrs home (i work away from home) to meet with this guy. so when we meet the guy gets on my truck and is quickly apparent to him that it is shaking he quickly said its the tires. i said wtf they already changed 2 out. he said that goodyears are harder and have thicker side walls he recommended the continental tires because they are softer that's what he says. well i went home 2 weeks ago and had a chance to drive for 2 days then came back to work. when i drove it for the 2 days it felt like the shaking was dramatically reduced but can still fell some vibration on some roads to soon to tell. what i can tell you all is that when i get home i am just going to get on my new 2014 Silverado and drive it to the FORD DEALER AND WILL TRAID IT IN FOR A FORD. happy to pay the extra $$ to get it changed out. This experience with chevy has been very annoying and very inconvenient for me. i have lost a lot of time and money.... AND UP TO DAY NO ONE HAS CALLED ME TO SEE IF THE ISSUE IS FIXED BY THE WAY IT IS STUPED TO TELL US TO TAKE A BRAND NEW TRUCK TO A TIRE SHOP TO HAVE THE TIRES CHECKED OUT FOR ROUNDNESS WHAT KINDA DUMB SHIT IS IT THAT CHEVY SERVICE DONT HAVE THE KNOW HOW ON BALANCING A TIRE.. NO NO NO!!! I will trade it in as soon as i get a change mark my works.

MY NAME IS JUAN C RINCON.

MY EMAIL IS [email protected]

If GM dose not contact me bout this oh well **** it right.