Well, I am also a victim of the famous shake. Mine is at 70+ and also vibrates the center console and seats. I talked to my service writer at my dealership who immediately contacted the Service Manger. He is handling it personally. They have already sated that they would be more then willing to assist me with this. The Sales Manager immediately jumped on this forum to read peoples complaints, as they have no heard of this issue yet. He started with road force balancing the tires, and then hooked the entire truck up to several vibration sensors, and drove it on the highway. When he returned he stated that he immediately felt the vibration and the truck "failed" the tests. As i sit here in the dealership now, they have seven techs looking at the front end of my truck and he's using it as a "teaching" tool to the other techs. He said he thinks he has the issue addressed however has not come back to me with exact details. I will be sure to post when i have a resolution, hopefully we can get to the bottom of it.

I will post with any updates as it gets addressed or not. However HUGE shoutout to my dealer who has been more than accommodating with the issue, and seemingly have done everything they can to address my concerns.

You're the first to post about the dealer looking at the front end as a possible cause, several people on here including myself think the problem on the 4wd's could be a front drive train issue. Considering so many different things have fixed the issue on different vehicles I don't think you can rule out the front on a 4wd just because 2wd trucks are vibrating too. Please keep us posted on what they find, it sounds like you got a great SM a true mechanic on the issue.

I finally got a chance to measure the working angles and they are out of what is generally considered appropriate of 1 degree or less. They measure out to be 2.2 degrees, bought some 2 degree shims, going to put them in this weekend and see what the working angles measure out to be after they're installed and give it a test drive. Not sure if they give it such a large difference to compensate for the pinion tipping up during acceleration or for when the truck is loaded or towing. I have noticed a bad vibration at times when getting on the brakes pretty hard, this would cause the pinion to tip done making the working angles even worse than the static 2.2 degrees. I need to check the phasing on the shaft as well and make sure the end caps were welded onto the main tube in the same phase.

It might help if everyone in this forum would go to the below link and post their complaints/issues concerning their 2014-2015 Silverado's & Sierra's. One more option for more people to get educated about the problems with these trucks, and it may garner more attention from GM. At this time the vibration issues is the 3rd most reported complaint for the 2014 model Silverado. Good luck to everyone!

www.carcomplaints.com

OK, GM gurus.

I did the dirty and bought new tires. BF Goodrich. It took away a lot of vibes from the truck but still there.

On my highway commute today, I noticed something that had been masked by the vibration from the goodyears. Set cruise at 75. The vibration is more noticeable when going uphill and downhill. The thing that was different was when it kicked down to a lower gear on the uphill, the vibration frequency sped up (increased).

Ideas? I am no expert and would like the dealer to check it out but want to give them some hints at what we think would make that happen. Any simple tests I can do that would confirm your idea?

I have been learning about driveline working angles and hearing some issues with those on stock ride heights. Could that be it?

Update: The tires were out a collective 10 oz. The drive home was decent to 72 mph but above that it vibrates till about 77 then it settles down a little. I am done for now. I have not the time or energy to battle service advisors and dealerships. I will read here and update if I can.

I would like to say that my commute is mostly highway. I live less than a mile from the highway. For the first 2 miles the truck vibrates / shakes like crazy. I do believe that the tires get warm / park overnight and develop small flats which requires the tires to heat up (morning commute). I had been running 30 psi and will change that to 35 psi to see if they hold shape overnight.

Again, the truck only vibrates in a specific range 72 to about 77. I think the tires can be tuned in a little better with a shop that will give it some time but not really going to dig into that right now.

Update: The tires were out a collective 10 oz. The drive home was decent to 72 mph but above that it vibrates till about 77 then it settles down a little. I am done for now. I have not the time or energy to battle service advisors and dealerships. I will read here and update if I can.

I would like to say that my commute is mostly highway. I live less than a mile from the highway. For the first 2 miles the truck vibrates / shakes like crazy. I do believe that the tires get warm / park overnight and develop small flats which requires the tires to heat up (morning commute). I had been running 30 psi and will change that to 35 psi to see if they hold shape overnight.

Again, the truck only vibrates in a specific range 72 to about 77. I think the tires can be tuned in a little better with a shop that will give it some time but not really going to dig into that right now.

Sorta the same boat as me. Mine were all out only an ounce though. I have a very slight vibration around 76-78 now but it's 95% gone. I'm tired of going back and forth to the dealer for stuff that takes them weeks to do. Plus I clipped a deer on Monday so now I'm just irritated about everything going wrong all at once with this truck lol

Sorta the same boat as me. Mine were all out only an ounce though. I have a very slight vibration around 76-78 now but it's 95% gone. I'm tired of going back and forth to the dealer for stuff that takes them weeks to do. Plus I clipped a deer on Monday so now I'm just irritated about everything going wrong all at once with this truck lol

Doe or Buck? It only makes it worthwhile if it is a Boone and Crockett!

I finally got a chance to measure the working angles and they are out of what is generally considered appropriate of 1 degree or less. They measure out to be 2.2 degrees, bought some 2 degree shims, going to put them in this weekend and see what the working angles measure out to be after they're installed and give it a test drive. Not sure if they give it such a large difference to compensate for the pinion tipping up during acceleration or for when the truck is loaded or towing. I have noticed a bad vibration at times when getting on the brakes pretty hard, this would cause the pinion to tip done making the working angles even worse than the static 2.2 degrees. I need to check the phasing on the shaft as well and make sure the end caps were welded onto the main tube in the same phase.

I have noticed the vibe gets worse when having to brake hard as well. Someone a few pages back posted that they noticed the vibe gets worse when going up or down hill, I paid attention to that specifically yesterday and definitely agree. I've driven about 265 miles over 10.5 hours in the last three days..... (thanks Massachusetts traffic).... and was paying very close attention to everything I could think of. This truck just needs to be blown up, there is no rhyme or reason for anything. Mass is re-paving a lot of roads, and some freshly paved roads are very smooth in the truck with only its slight constant vibe, others still freshly paved are horrible, even old roads vary in vibration levels. Like I said, up & down hill makes it worse, it seems like speeds with the second number being 3-7 are the worse than 1-2 & 8-9. cruising in V4 is probably the worse time in the truck, but the vibe is still there when driving in "M5" to force the truck to stay in V6.... I've put on smaller rims with different tires, vibe wasn't quite as bad, but still there. Being on the highway is worse than on back roads roughly 90% of the time. I just don't understand this.... My truck is still dealing with the rough idle and the radio fade/ reception problems, I'm beyond with this. I just want my truck to work they way it is supposed to, according to common perception and not these bullshit GM standards that they seem to be making up as they go.

On the bright side, I have after 1.5 months of fighting with GM and my dealer, I have gotten my dealer to take it in again for it's third repair attempt!!!! Maybe they will actually try to fix something this time instead of just writing that good old "normal operation" GM is now so famous for doing.

I towed 9500lbs from Los Angeles to North Carolina, and finally to Alabama. Still had the vibes at 45mph. They didn't get worse or harsher, they were just there.

Additionally, tire pressure doesn't affect it. I pumped my tires up to 40psi for the tow, no difference. I'm unloaded now, and tires are still 38psi because I haven't deflated since the tow...no difference. Still vibrating. Going to dealer today for regualr oil change but I have asked them to look into the vibrations. This will be my second visit specifically for vibes, within 1 year. I also do NOT have time to mess with dealers to get the issue fixed. I need a reliable vehicle.

I was worried somethign was going to grenade towing, but I did not have any issues. Even towing some steep grades, made it up to 11k feet at one point. Maybe I got lucky.

You're the first to post about the dealer looking at the front end as a possible cause, several people on here including myself think the problem on the 4wd's could be a front drive train issue. Considering so many different things have fixed the issue on different vehicles I don't think you can rule out the front on a 4wd just because 2wd trucks are vibrating too. Please keep us posted on what they find, it sounds like you got a great SM a true mechanic on the issue.

Yeah, it got to the point yesterday that they were going to be a while, so they gave me a truck to take home and would call me in the morning. Im going to be as patient as possible and let them do their thing. It was fairly clear right away that they were willing to give it all they had to try and fix it. Whats interesting is that the tech and the manger that drove it said they felt the vibration right away at 40-45, which i never felt ( i assumed it was just the way the truck felt) and it never bothered me.

ON THE BRIGHT SIDE they gave me a 2015 Yukon Denali to drive home. Which is a blast to drive. The manger who knows I'm a hunter just said "no dead animals in the back". Hahahah... ill try.

• Like 2

All of this still makes me wonder if when they engineered the truck that they didn't put enough "dampening" into the body mounts and in other areas. I would think that in the past models there were probably always parts a little bit out of spec and crappy tires put on them but the trucks were heavier and probably absorbed more of the vibes. I joined this forum because of the vibrations I was getting on the interstate plus the occasional bad vibration when getting on the gas hard onto the interstate. Dealership re-balanced my tires and it solved alot of the vibes but I still have a slight vibration at 70+ mph. I also get vibes every now and then going up a slightly steep grade on a 55mph highway right out from my driveway. It seems tire related because it doesn't do this on other steep grades after I have been driving a while but I have never had this problem on my last two Silverdo's (1992 and 2002). Both of those trucks had crappy tires at one point during ownership as well. I usually only drive on the weekends, less than 5k miles a year and rarely on the interstate so it doesn't affect me as bad as some of you other guys but I would still like an answer. I will probably break down and get a set of LT AT tires, probably Cooper AT3's because I liked them on my 2002 model. I seriously doubt it will fix anything but who knows, maybe the heavier tire will absorb more vibrations.

OK, one more question to think about going into the weekend.

Has anyone with vibration dug into the motor or transmission mounts? I see them being talked about but never any test or resolution.

What type do we have? Hydraulic? Electro Magnetic? Rubber? Are they vacuum controlled?

Has anyone tested to see if the motor or tranny is moving under load?

If these are hydraulic or vacuum controlled? Are they leaking?

Jesse D, we both have 4.3. If a mount was collapse or needed shimmed (like the V8 shimming), I am guessing that is why AFM vibration is horrible.

Edited to add, Hydraulic, Electro mounts would cost thousands per vehicle in labor and parts to replace. Something to think about...

Edited by 14silverado4.3
  • Like 1