2015 towing capacity and J2807

Anyone notice how for the 6.2 the 3.23 axle is standard and 3.42 is listed for max trailering? I thought 3.42 was standard and 3.73 was max tow just like with the 5.3. Maybe this means the 6.2 gets the 8l90 (huge huge leap of faith wish)... that or it's a typical press release typo.

I don't really want the 8 speeds as much as the increased capacity of the transmission. The 6l80 is fine for a stock truck, but as you can see in my sig I don't like stock trucks. Even in the camaro ZL1 and CTS-V they used the 6l90. You can swap a 6l90 in, but because it's longer you are looking at custom drive shafts front and rear and modifying the cross member to mount it. The 8l90 is to be used in the 650hp/650 lb ft z06 vette so that says something to me. I had my current 4l65 rebuild to about as strong as it can be, but I was limited by its design, starting off stronger can never be a bad thing

The 3.23 gear ratio was only available on the 2WD 4.3L in 2014. This was for all cab configurations in the 2WD. The 4WD 4.3 all use the 3.42 gear ratio. I suspect that would not change for 2015, but you never know?

The internet has confirmed there is an axle ratio change for just the 6.2's for 2015. Again this is just an internet confirmation from someone supposedly working for Chevrolet, nothing from GM.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2014/06/2015-chevy-silverado-1500-and-gmc-sierra-1500-are-j2807-compliant.html

Look for a post from Tom Wilkinson at Chevy in the comments section.

The internet has confirmed there is an axle ratio change for just the 6.2's for 2015. Again this is just an internet confirmation from someone supposedly working for Chevrolet, nothing from GM.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2014/06/2015-chevy-silverado-1500-and-gmc-sierra-1500-are-j2807-compliant.html

I personally know Tom. He's in charge of Silverado communications, so he speaks the truth.

thats not as bad of decrese as i thought the new j2807 test was going to do to the truck. like stated above toyota lost over 1k pounds when switching over to the test. i would like to know what my setup in the 15 will rate at. eventually i will be getting a TT and i want to be able to tow it without worrying about breaking stuff all the time, my next truck will hopefully be a dmax.

That's not how I interpreted his comment. He said there is a ratio change with the NHT, implying that it is just different than the rest. I think it'll still be a 3.73 but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

This is excellent news! Finally! The Engineers win! Hopefully Ford and Dodge will join soon.

Pretty minimal changes in the ratings. All 2014 GM owners “won” as well because due to this standard the trucks were clearly built to pass these tests. I don’t think the older ½ tons would have fared so well.

Interesting change in the axle ratios though. I guess they figured out they could pass the tests with the 6.2 with a taller ratio to squeeze out a bit better mileage…that’s too bad. I wish they had gone the other way to 4.10’s.

I personally know Tom. He's in charge of Silverado communications, so he speaks the truth.

That's not how I interpreted his comment. He said there is a ratio change with the NHT, implying that it is just different than the rest. I think it'll still be a 3.73 but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

.........8L90......... :ninja:

This is excellent news! Finally! The Engineers win! Hopefully Ford and Dodge will join soon.

Pretty minimal changes in the ratings. All 2014 GM owners “won” as well because due to this standard the trucks were clearly built to pass these tests. I don’t think the older ½ tons would have fared so well.

Interesting change in the axle ratios though. I guess they figured out they could pass the tests with the 6.2 with a taller ratio to squeeze out a bit better mileage…that’s too bad. I wish they had gone the other way to 4.10’s.

Ford & Dodge won't follow suit until they have already quietly upped their game (much like GM just did) such that the hit isn't that bad and they aren't forced to publicly admit that they have been inflating the #'s for years. GM just beat them to the punch and avoided the criticism. Well played GM....well played.

Looks like Ford and Ram are in! That was quick! http://www.fourwheeler.com/news/1402-ford-gm-ram-adopt-sae-j2807-towing-capacity-standard-for-2015-light-duty-trucks/

[edit] Oops. Just realized that article was an old announcement the were going to--it doesn't look like they've actually released their ratings yet.

Archived