How often do you change your oil? Do you do it by the book?

I appreciate all the feedback. My truck is a work truck model by the way. I use full synthetic Mobil with a good Mobil oil filter so I think I will start changing every 7500 miles, but I will be sure to check the color and quality of the oil to ensure the oil is adequate up to 7500 miles.

I looked in my owners manual and all it says is wait until your OLM tells you to change the oil. It does not specify the mileage for every oil change.

You can save a few bucks and run an AC Delco filter or if you got a Car Quest or NAPA near you their house brand filters will work well also. The Mobil 1 filter is overkill at 7,500 miles.

Odd that the owners manual doesn't state even a time frame.

GM is so proud of their OLM, and they think that everyone out here is an idiot, so they make no mention of miles or time on oil. I really don't have a problem with that, since most folks don't really think much about things like this. The OLM is, for the most part, a very good judge of oil life, even though it doesn't actually test the oil, but uses a series of algorithms to approximate oil life. And it does so also assuming that the owner has put in the cheapest stuff that still meets the dexos1 spec. Virtually any full synthetic is going to far exceed the OLM suggestion. 7500 is not a bad interval. Just live within your comfort level. Some are better risk takers than others. There is no one size fits all solution here. Looks of the oil really means nothing. The oil in my diesel goes totally black within 1000 miles, yet I take the oil to 25,000 miles and it is just fine, as is shown in the used oil analysis testing. At 7500 miles, you will have no problem. For your own peace of mind, you could get an oil sample kit and send a sample in when you change the oil at 7500 to see how things look. Then you would know for sure if everything is fine.

GM is so proud of their OLM, and they think that everyone out here is an idiot, so they make no mention of miles or time on oil. I really don't have a problem with that, since most folks don't really think much about things like this. The OLM is, for the most part, a very good judge of oil life, even though it doesn't actually test the oil, but uses a series of algorithms to approximate oil life. And it does so also assuming that the owner has put in the cheapest stuff that still meets the dexos1 spec. Virtually any full synthetic is going to far exceed the OLM suggestion. 7500 is not a bad interval. Just live within your comfort level. Some are better risk takers than others. There is no one size fits all solution here. Looks of the oil really means nothing. The oil in my diesel goes totally black within 1000 miles, yet I take the oil to 25,000 miles and it is just fine, as is shown in the used oil analysis testing. At 7500 miles, you will have no problem. For your own peace of mind, you could get an oil sample kit and send a sample in when you change the oil at 7500 to see how things look. Then you would know for sure if everything is fine.

I believe the manual says that if you don't get a 'change oil now' alert within 12 months of your last oil change, you should change it [presumably a time limit so that if the computer has a software failure, you still change the oil].

By time, I was meaning engine hours. Should have clarified that better. Obviously, if one rarely uses a vehicle, it is not a good thing to let the same oil sit in there for several years.

There are many variables in that question. For instance, living in a high humidity area, there is a greater risk of condensation in the motor. that would affect how long the oil should be in there on a motor that is not run frequently. That can also lead to greater risk of sludge developing.

The OEM's recommend doing it at least annually. Many other petroleum engineers and tribologists say that 2 years, on average, is probably safe. I would not go beyond that. My comfort level is on an annual basis for a low hour/mile motor.

Not sure one would want to take it longer than a year. After all, we are only talking about a few quarts of oil and a filter. Not like one is having to take out a second mortgage to do oil changes. Most folks blow more than an oil change cost on frivolous nonsense every weekend.

Edited by Cowpie

I use AMSOIL Signature Series 100% Synthetic + AMSOIL Oil Filter + AMSOIL Air Filter and go 15,000 miles or 1 year. I have been changing my oil at yearly intervals for over 25 yrs.

1 year is the limit to how long you should leave the same oil in the engine unless you have done oil analysis to confirm it suitable for continued use. If you are not going to do that, change the oil at least on a yearly basis and don't use to lower priced (low price often means low quality) oil, 100% synthetic would be the best protection for infrequent use. On vehicles that are driven short distances (less than 5 miles) or used infrequently, especially in colder weather, unburned fuel and condensation generated from cold engine operation may not get hot enough to evaporate out of the oil. The unburned fuel and water can form acids that reduce the level of protection from the oil and eventually lead to engine damage. To dissipate unburned fuel and condensation, you need to drive at least 30 min once the engine has reached normal operation temps.

Edited by elcamino

I have two trucks. One is for work, 2008 F-350 and one is my daily driver, 2011 Silverado 2500HD

My work one gets a lot of short trips and plowing and not many miles and my daily driver doesn't get used a lot, maybe 5000 miles a year.

I do the oil and filter in both every 6 months with Mobil one synthetic. I figure an oil change is less than 30$ per truck. That's only $60 a year, times two. For the peice of mind I don't mind spending the little bit of money. In my mind it's pennies compaired to what these trucks make me $$

Matt

Edited by mattymax

Yeah, I am amazed at how frugal some are about a simple oil change, but they have no problem dumping hundreds or even thousands of dollars on frivolous junk. Most people waste more money every weekend than it costs for one oil change. Then there are those that say if someone changes oil sooner than they would, that oil is being wasted. Kinda hard to justify that argument. All used oil is reclaimed, recycled, or put to some other productive use. That is, unless it is dumped in the back yard, down a drain, etc. And folks who do that need to be taken out and flogged in public.

This is one area where I fully support the "if it feels good, do it" philosophy. Even if someone wanted to change their oil every month, I would have no problem. It is their money, and their comfort level. I fall somewhere in the middle. I don't change oil the old 3000 mile way, nor do I try and see if I can set a new all time record for extending my oil drains. I live in my comfort level. The OLM is something interesting, but has very little bearing on my oil change regimen. I have no doubt it is well thought out system that can track various operational data and state when oil should be changed. But it is still just a novelty to me.

Now, I would not ever have a vehicle sitting around for a year not racking up enough miles for an oil change, but I do have some small ag tractors and such that don't even peg 100 hrs of operation a year. Those all get changed on an annual basis, usually in the fall just before winter, along with fuel filters and such. So I guess you could say I am in the once per year camp for stuff that doesn't get used much.

Edited by Cowpie
  • Like 1

I change my oil/filter at 5k intervals, and this time the OLM was at 5%. I have a 7 mile commute each way, so I am in the severe usage category.

That's amazing to me...I've towed a trailer for over 5k miles, and still got 7k out of the OLM and UOA came back suitable for continued use.

The least I've gotten out of the OLM was 6500 miles.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

That's amazing to me...I've towed a trailer for over 5k miles, and still got 7k out of the OLM and UOA came back suitable for continued use.

The least I've gotten out of the OLM was 6500 miles.

There was a lot of extremely cold weather, and remote starts during that oil change interval.

Cold weather doesn't seem to make a difference in my experience...although the catch can fills up a lot faster.

Not doubting your experience, just not what I see.

Edited by sdeeter19555

I go by the OLM when to change the oil always have since they started putting them in GM vehicles. I think doing a oil analysis is just way overboard and a waste of money. I would never go 10,000 miles on a oil change no matter what oil I had in there and what the oil analysis said. Just go by the OLM when it tells you to change it.

exactly what I was going to post. I always change it when the computer tells me to. Its there for a reason. Always use full synthetic.