2wd Crew Cab vs 4wd Double Cab

lsxrx7

thanks !!

4wd crew cab is like 4-5k more :(

i'll have to check with the bank account and see if its something i can swallow

And those are 4 to 5 thousand additional reasons I chose a 2WD DC. Yes, I imagine both 4WD and CC have a resale price advantage, but I can bank the difference upfront and come out just fine at the back end. I suppose that makes me a contrarian on this thread, but it works for me. I seldom carry rear seat passengers, and when I do, they can manage just fine for a short ride. I also prefer having the 6.5 foot bed, and every CC I found was a SB. I would not have a truck without a limited slip, but that should be enough for the occasional muddy job-site I might encounter. As it happens, I had to cross a running creek on a gravel road the second week I had the truck and we did just fine. I just don't think I would use 4WD often enough to justify the initial cost nor the extra fuel and don't they say 4WD just lets you get stuck deeper in the woods? :)

At the end, this is a question of Ginger versus Mary Ann. I'll take Mary Ann every time, but won't try to dissuade you from picking Ginger if she better suits your needs and tastes.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I dont really see you NEEDing 4wd down there, go with the 2wd crew. As your kids grow youll be glad you did. Dont overspend either to get both when youll turn 4wd on about 10 times in the life of the truck in Florida. In Indiana its pretty much a necessity, driving a light rear wheel drive on snow/ice sucks.

A baby seat does not play nice with the double cab. I've only had to put it back there once but it was a pain and room was lacking. It's fine for kids though and I so rarely have anyone with me at all I chose the extra bed length and saving money .... and of course 4x4 because truck lol.

:rolleyes: Only a matter of time until someone posted a vain comment about 4wd...

Because buying something you don't need is the only way to go to convey an image! :nonod:

Tyler

:rolleyes: Only a matter of time until someone posted a vain comment about 4wd...

Because buying something you don't need is the only way to go to convey an image! :nonod:

Tyler

Only a matter of time till someone can't take a joke on a forum.....

DC 4X4. I've had no issues with kids on the back or adults. We took a 4 hour trip with 5 adults and not any complaints. Obvious a crew is more roomy but I've only owned one non 4X4 truck and I said I would never do it again. I found out the hard way back then that I used it more than I thought.

You most definitely need the crew cab. Child seats, particularly the convertible type you have to use rear facing until the child is at least two (it's safer to go a lot longer) take up a LOT of fore-aft room. Even in a crew cab some of the child seats will hit the back of the front seats. Plus, you have way more room to load the kid. I live in Texas, which has a climate much like Florida, and I don't think you'll use the 4wd much. On the other hand, you'll use the extra room in the crew cab every day and be glad you have it.

I have two grand kids and had a double cab loaner when my crew cab was in for service -getting the car seats in the double cab was very tight and the 2 and 3year old granddaughter's feet were against the back of the front seats.

I have a Double Cab and it works fine for me as I rarely have anyone in the back seat. However, if I had regular riders in the back seat, I would choose the Crew Cab. Where I have the front seat adjusted, it leaves little room the back for feet. Whenever grand kids come along, I will have a challenge for sure...

Again...the needs YOU need are what will prevail.

We have a double cab. Works great for kids, but mine are not in booster seats anymore. If I had a baby, might be an issue.

4WD? Never was an advocate until I owned one. But I live in the rust belt, and the 3-4 times a year I use it in the snow makes all the difference. If I lived in FL or GA, 2WD would be my choice.

I've got a 4wd LT double cab with a baby seat, and have my three kids with me regularly with no issues. I'd trade that little bit of leg room for more useful bed space, and 4wd all day every day.

I've got a 4wd LT double cab with a baby seat, and have my three kids with me regularly with no issues. I'd trade that little bit of leg room for more useful bed space, and 4wd all day every day.

Now you can get the 'standard' 6 1/2 ft box on a 1500 crew cab if you want.

Archived