GM Moving Some Silverado Production From Mexico To Flint, MI

Gorehamj

post-139450-0-74619900-1464271169_thumb.jpg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
5/26/2016

The publication MLive Michigan is reporting that General Motors will move some production of Silverados from Mexico to Flint, Michigan. The move seems to be for all the right reasons. The report quotes Local 598 Shop Chairman Eric Welter, who says the addition is because truck buyers want a light duty, American-made truck. "This was just a need to satisfy their customers," he said. "We're having a hard time getting the four-door."

In related news, the Lansing, Michigan plant where Chevy moved the Camaro's production (from Canada) is doing very well. Managers are being promoted and moved to new responsibilities, and the plant is adding shifts. The Lansing State Journal says that this has created 500 new jobs recently - In the USA.

It'll be nice to see the 1500 crews being made (partly) in Flint. Grand River Assembly is about 40 minutes from me- it's nice to see car haulers full of Camaros around here. The 16s just look so good.

It'll be nice to see the 1500 crews being made (partly) in Flint. Grand River Assembly is about 40 minutes from me- it's nice to see car haulers full of Camaros around here. The 16s just look so good.

I can't wait for when the 2017 Acadias start to ship, because then the GMC dealers in my Area can PROUDLY boast that it is Locally made!

They wonder why ATS and CTS sales are down? Just look at the window stickers, over $50k for a 4-cyl CTS and over $60K for the V's.

image%201_zps2pjdhdil.jpg

They wonder why ATS and CTS sales are down? Just look at the window stickers, over $50k for a 4-cyl CTS and over $60K for the V's.

image%201_zps2pjdhdil.jpg

It's a bigger car. For better or worse Caddy is going after the 5 Series and that comes at a cost.

It's a bigger car. For better or worse Caddy is going after the 5 Series and that comes at a cost.

And a 4 cyl 5 series is in the same range as is the C class

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome news. Ford is moving production to Mexico and GM is bringing it back!

I love my Ft. Wayne made 2013 Silverado. About to hit 100k and has never been in the shop for anything other than body damage(Got rear ended :mad: ).

When I was shopping for a 2016 Double Cab - where it was made was important to me. Many people felt that it didn't matter because the total content of the trucks from the US and Mexico were about the same. Sill I felt it was important to me to buy a Chevy made in the USA - that or perhaps a Toyota. I shopped at least 5 Dealerships - was surprised that 4 of the 5 had mostly stock from Mexico. The fifth one had mostly stock from the USA.. All within 30 miles of each other.

So I am glad to see some work coming back the the US - - I was also reminded of H.R.Perot {remember him?} saying that if Clinton passed NAFTA that giant sucking sound you hear will be your jobs going to Mexico.

Thank god for Silverado(the truck) and the American consumer.

Toyota was killing it these last years being made in America. Chevy/Gm finally recognizes.

Now Silverado might have a chance staying on top in the US truck market.

I thought they were making some trucks in Flint, or is it just a particular model that they are moving to Flint?

Other than parts warehouses, There is one plant left in Flint, on the corner of I-75 & I-69 GM has 2.5 miles of parking lot they can use off I-475 to build a new plant, or even if they wanted to put another plant by Kettering University (used to be called "Down in the hole")... Of course I think that those properties are now owned by the City of Flint.

Awesome news. Ford is moving production to Mexico and GM is bringing it back!

I love my Ft. Wayne made 2013 Silverado. About to hit 100k and has never been in the shop for anything other than body damage(Got rear ended :mad: ).

That's cause the driver behind you was admiring how pretty of a truck it was, and didn't realize how close they had gotten until it was too late :)

Archived