I figured I should follow up my post from Wednesday with a picture of the finished install. Wish I would have done this sooner. Thanks again [mention=159655]pgamboa[/mention]!
4A0C2176-C628-4C23-8BAB-A0D51F42B2A0.thumb.jpeg.4f4a01edacc99cde6f6f622b4f197fac.jpeg

Thanks for sharing! Looks great! Completely transforms the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huge thanks to @pgamboa...this is a tremendous upgrade.  I recently purchased a '19 3500HD with a crew cab.  Factory stopped taking orders end of February on these, and the last of them came off the line in May as the factory gears up for the new body style production.  In early spring I was limiting my search to LT trucks that came from the factory with the console which was pretty limiting.  Once Phil was offering the entire package, that widened up my search considerably.  Wound up with this beauty for 20% off sticker, then got to work, installing Husky mud flaps and the OEM 4" assist tube steps while waiting on the console and harness.

uc?id=1frMCRNGDke9c1kLz-pPCcI6HibN7LHpP

uc?id=1BrsH4IkbvLrN9nG05lwmPZ9BIwPN64DN

Edited by captadamnj

Got Phil ordering specifics and payment right before he left earlier in June, and he was true to his word with the console getting to me while he was away and the harness getting to me shortly after his return.  Waiting stinks, but Phil was straight up about when I would get things, and everything came when and how he said it would.  I went ahead and ordered the GM USB cable that IS available still (19119050) which goes from the HMI to the console USB.  Since 19303285/84022323 which conncts the USB ports on the console to each other remains unobtanium, I went with Phil's suggestion to get the cable from Amazon, and with some trimming, it fit great.  Note that each end of the cable should be trimmed differently if you want optimal fit.  I looked at the connectors into which the ends would go, and slowly removed material until I got as close to perfect fit as I could, so much so that the cables make a firm *snap* when fully seated.  I also picked up some sleeving to protect the USB cables and to match the fine work Phil does with his cables.  Here is the sleeving I used, one of the ends trimmed to fit, and the "finished product" of the USB cables ready to install.

uc?id=1FdpH5vj-hnYdkw-e3JyVvfBh1rTBQW2M

uc?id=1buZdE5ztSGN8Ghb2dGzZTv-WuEQG48Wf

uc?id=1w_1KKut43DgDL4n6uuhPKa9WXFP7LV98

Edited by captadamnj

Removal of the jump seat and getting the new console in to place took under 2 hours, could probably be done in less with no refreshment breaks.  Pretty straightforward job, and I DID NOT have to remove the passenger seat, I found it easiest to remove the existing cables from under the passenger seat with the seat in the fully forward position.  The new console came with the bracket that attaches to the dash, so I did have to remove the trim bezel around the radio, the radio and the switches under the radio to get installed.  Go slow on the trim, I highly recommend a urethane trim removal tool set, they are cheap enough and non-marring.  Pulling the glove box was easy enough, as well.  I did not have to remove the HMI to unplug the existing cable and plug in the new one, your mileage will vary based on hand size.  (It does come out easy enough though, a gentle tug.)  I then spent about another 30-45 minutes running the cables, making them look tidy, snapping the top of the console back together, and testing out all the ports.  With the prep work on the cables, I had 3 full hours invested, worth every minute. 

Here are some pics of the USB cable running from the HMI to the console behind the glove box.  This first one shows the HMI top right, the cable I ran snakes under the yellow connector at left and up to the HMI.  I wire tied it to another cable up and out of the way of the glove box.

uc?id=1W6FjCF6mMX9sGMflZATtGU07t2cm9h-8

Here is a close up, my USB cable is the lower of the two, it shows the quality of the split loom compared to factory.

uc?id=1-7uJN7vyE-PPNFxEeWtEbJEjgKGul13b

And here is a picture of under the dash with the top trim of the console loose.  The USB from the HMI is top center, and Phil's cables with the other USB cable is shown on the bottom.  The other two cables are the factory 12V and inverter wires.  No concerns about any wires chafing when done properly.

uc?id=1pZ_wnOtnEuCjcHh_CP805J3UCnnBWgjs

Edited by captadamnj

Finally, here are pics of the console installed and in use. 

uc?id=1lImzZ9Bs60zA3gmAZV7ISHlQ2Ym-O2vW

uc?id=1MBEzHpsbOxkpw0prHXGDlbd6DscvgH-Y

I added the OCD dividers for the bottom of the console and the OCD tray for the top.  I left out the middle divider to allow room for some larger items (CDs/DVDs fit great for those who still have some) and I found the OCD tray was more to my liking vs the factory tray as it did not extend down as far and was also wide enough front-to-back so as to fit securely without sliding front to back.  Also installed is one of the inexpensive "hidden compartment covers" seen in front of the drink holders.

uc?id=1-vh3aE26uPucnHTwMI5e47cde5Seub0v

uc?id=196TZgQXshKpGJdS9T2k74CegkZBI_iap

And as you can see, the rear of the console is perfect for 4 20 oz water bottles!

uc?id=1m1Q8yg58zonGnEbUtIqyQ1PKBnJBlyHh

Hopefully some of the pics/ideas I've shared can help someone else.  Many thanks again to Phil, and everyone else that contributed with helpful posts in this thread! 

Edited by captadamnj

@captadamnj

Thanks for sharing all the details! Certainly appreciate that! They say you learn something new everyday! Well, I learned that 4 water bottles fit nicely in the rear pocket of the console. Thanks for sharing that! I probably could have saved $150 I spent on modifying mine with another cupholder. LOL

a8567035ff73f545865f47ae59fe256a.jpg

I also like the tip of moving your passenger seat all the way forward!

Thanks again for the detailed feedback! It’s customers like you that allow me to continue doing what I enjoy!

I have also done this console swap and all is well except the fact that the console usb does nothing but charge no music will play through it anyone else had this issue?  I had to order the cable of amazon cause of the backorder on oem cable. 

I did this swap a month or so ago. I went the route of getting everything through @pgamboa. He was great to work with and the swap was a piece of cake. It took a few try’s to get the console in just the right spot that it didn’t squeak where it met the dash when hitting large bumps. 

I do have a hole in the carpet that the new console does not cover. It can only be seen when the drivers seat is all the way back.

81EAA729-FD83-4925-B4C5-A6EF3348B788.jpeg

Edited by Rezaghoul
Typos
  • Like 1

I have also done this console swap and all is well except the fact that the console usb does nothing but charge no music will play through it anyone else had this issue?  I had to order the cable of amazon cause of the backorder on oem cable. 

The USB cable (and how you route it) will likely be the reason. The storage compartment USB hub gets its data feed from the brown USB port in the front.

If you looped the signal out of the front hub, to the brown port, that may be the reason. Instead of using the front hub for the signal, use the green port of your HMI and feed it directly to the brown port.

Yes I looped it from the out on the 18 model console to the brown going to rear of console. So you are saying disconnect the green one going to my glove box usb at the hmi? I though they would all work without doing that on 16 and up ones. 

Correct. If you want that compartment hub to work for data/media, you’ll have to omit the glove box USB port.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...