How much oil is too much oil

Morning/ Afternoon, 

I have a question about over filling your oil with the newer silverado's. I recently just changed my oil since I got my truck about 3 months ago using the 0W-20 mobil 1. I put in 8 quarts exacly (without filling the filter). let it sit for a second then started her up. Truck ran for a couple of minutes then I shut it off, let it sit for about 10 min and checked the oil. I was not able to read the oil level as accurately as Im used to due to how freaking light the color of the oil lol, so light! I drove it for about a 100 miles, let it sit then checked it again. oil level was right above the hatch line if not right on it so I drained out just a tad to make me feel better then checked again. Now its sitting just above the top dimple but still within the hatch line area. So I guess my question is... Do  you think over filling that much would be enough to damage any internals or pump? Any insight is very much appreciated, thank you. 

1 hour ago, mookdoc6 said:

No worries At all with top line or slightly above.........Next time drop 7.5qts run couple thousand and drop remaining 1/2 qt.....

In my experience, some GM vehicles have had difficult to read dipsticks since the early 2000s.  Just glug in whatever the owner's manual says (apparently 8 quarts in your case) and you'll be fine.  No need to drain any out.  It is far more important to be sure to use the correct viscosity and Dexos-rated oil.  

Edited by MaverickZ71

In my experience, some GM vehicles have had difficult to read dipsticks since the early 2000s.  Just glug in whatever the owner's manual says (apparently 8 quarts in your case) and you'll be fine.  No need to drain any out.  It is far more important to be sure to use the correct viscosity and Dexos-rated oil.  
Being how the 5.3 calls for 5W-20, what would happen if you use a slightly thicker viscosity? I've heard some people say that using a thicker oil made their engine run more quiet.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

53 minutes ago, Obscenejesster said:

Being how the 5.3 calls for 5W-20, what would happen if you use a slightly thicker viscosity? I've heard some people say that using a thicker oil made their engine run more quiet.

Some have said they thought their engines were more quiet and maybe used less oil running a thicker viscosity and/or regular dino oil instead of synthetic.  I ran 10W30 dino oil during the last change interval (last spring/summer) instead of the 5W30 semi-synthetic as called for on my truck.  Only resulting change in noise was more lifter noise (go figure), so went to 5W30 Pennzoil Platinum this winter and it is quieter so far; although it seems to use a little more oil with full synthetic.

Thicker oil is not necessarily darker-colored or easier to see on the dipstick.  I suppose that could maybe differ a little between brands, though.  

The early 2000s GM light trucks were known for piston slap noise.  The 2007-2013 trucks were known for lifter noise.  And it sounds like (no pun intended) the new ones are known for direct injector noise, which I don't think motor oil would affect any.  

As they say, 'your mileage may vary.'  There are folks on here running diesel oil in their gasoline engines.  After your warranty runs out, experimenting a little won't kill your engine--don't stray TOO far from what the owner's manual says--but you can find it's 'sweet spot' where it runs good and you are happy.   

Edited by MaverickZ71

I just changed mine last night since we got 60 degree weather after 3 weeks of teens, and tonight we will get almost 2 ft of snow in north east lol

I went to Walmart and got Valvoline maxlife full synthetic 0w-20 and Mobil 1 extended performance filter. Previous oil was Mobil 1 advance gas mileage. 

I have a Fumoto valve so draining it was super easy and mess free. Put in 8q and called it done.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Obscenejesster said:

Where does it call for 5w-20?

My manual says:

Use SAE 0W-20 viscosity grade for
the 5.3L and 6.2L V8 engines. Use
SAE 5W-30 viscosity grade for the
4.3L V6, and 6.0L V8 engines.
Cold Temperature Operation: In an
area of extreme cold, where the
temperature falls below ✓29 °C
(✓20 °F), an SAE 0W-30 oil may be
used in the 4.3L or 6.0L engine. An
oil of this viscosity grade will provide
easier cold starting for the engine at
extremely low temperatures.

Where does it call for 5w-20?

My manual says:
Use SAE 0W-20 viscosity grade for
the 5.3L and 6.2L V8 engines. Use
SAE 5W-30 viscosity grade for the
4.3L V6, and 6.0L V8 engines.
Cold Temperature Operation: In an
area of extreme cold, where the
temperature falls below ✓29 °C
(✓20 °F), an SAE 0W-30 oil may be
used in the 4.3L or 6.0L engine. An
oil of this viscosity grade will provide
easier cold starting for the engine at
extremely low temperatures.
Yes, you're right. It's 0W-20. I misspoke.

When the 2014's came out they called for 8.5 qts of oil but was later changed to 8 quarts I think due to the oil being over the top of the fill mark.  It is safe to say then that putting in 8.5 qts is not really over filling it because that was what the engines were originally filled with in 2014.  

2 hours ago, Ozer said:

I just changed mine last night since we got 60 degree weather after 3 weeks of teens, and tonight we will get almost 2 ft of snow in north east lol

I went to Walmart and got Valvoline maxlife full synthetic 0w-20 and Mobil 1 extended performance filter. Previous oil was Mobil 1 advance gas mileage. 

I have a Fumoto valve so draining it was super easy and mess free. Put in 8q and called it done.

The Fumoto valve makes it an easy no spill affair. Attach a length of tygon  tubing, poke the tubing in a drain pan, open the valve and walk away. I usually do this just before I go to bed and let it drain all night then get the filter in the morning.