GM Waiting to Fix Transmission on my 1 Day old AT4

I waited several extra months for the AT4's release to purchase my truck.  Less than 1 day of light driving and 70 miles into my new truck the transmission started to slip in and out of gear.  I pulled into a parking lot and when I shifted into revers the truck slowly rolled forward.  Onstar had a flat bed tow truck there within an hour to bring the day old truck back to the dealer.  The dealer can not start work on the truck until GM approves the new transmission.  I am told that there is a lot of extra paperwork and approval because there are so few miles and it is a new truck.  I would think that GM would want to maintain their customer loyalty and support their new designs before aggravating buyers of new trucks.  I have been a lifelong GM buyer, but thinking that i should have gone with a Ford or Ram.  Has anyone else had to wait for repairs on a brand new vehicle?  

Edited by Jimbo20
Typo on Header

I hear ya. I would be pissed too but unfortunately $hit happens! Hopefully all is squared away Monday and a new transmission is on its way. All brands have their problems and when they are making millions of components for cars, trucks, there is a probability of failed parts. A low number but it happens in man made products. 

When my Wife's brand new Grand Cherokee blew a rod and toasted it's motor we owned it two whole days. The dealer could not warranty the engine either until the regional rep got the where's, why's and how's of the failure. We were out of town travelling at the time of the breakdown, the whole ordeal was a real pain. Took nearly three weeks to get our Jeep back.

• 4 weeks later...

The new 10 speed does not have sharp shifts in all gears, it will skip gears and usually does a slow shift going from 1 to 3 and then to 5. if in normal driving mode. at least that's how it works in the ford, same transmission.

Edited by DaveHC
  • Like 1

Yeah, but when you put it in reverse it shouldn't go forward.  My 1993 Sonoma had a transmission problem early on, turns out somebody had forgotten to tighten and torque the solenoid modulator plate. Ran fine for years after.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/28/2018 at 8:15 PM, Jimbo20 said:

I waited several extra months for the AT4's release to purchase my truck.  Less than 1 day of light driving and 70 miles into my new truck the transmission started to slip in and out of gear.  I pulled into a parking lot and when I shifted into revers the truck slowly rolled forward.  Onstar had a flat bed tow truck there within an hour to bring the day old truck back to the dealer.  The dealer can not start work on the truck until GM approves the new transmission.  I am told that there is a lot of extra paperwork and approval because there are so few miles and it is a new truck.  I would think that GM would want to maintain their customer loyalty and support their new designs before aggravating buyers of new trucks.  I have been a lifelong GM buyer, but thinking that i should have gone with a Ford or Ram.  Has anyone else had to wait for repairs on a brand new vehicle?  

Ford and Ram aren't having any more luck with stuff like engines, transmissions, or overall build quality. GM, Ford, and Ram are all changing platforms and major components often enough that all 3 have issues to address. Ford's 2.7 Ecoboost had a few major design issues and instead of fixing them, they just moved on to the 2nd gen 2.7 where they changed a ton of stuff and added a lot of new tech. None of the changes were directly targeted to fix 1st gen issues. Ram's 8-speed trans was redesigned for 2019 and as a result of those changes, the trans now has all kinds of new issues that FCA needs to fix. You're experiencing the downside of buying the first model year of a new truck that's based on a new platform, with a new fuel system and a 10-speed transmission that GM is using in a truck for the first time. Some guys will have problems.

• Like 1