General Motors Begins Mass Layoffs TODAY

Zane

In response to the responses and the tangents then went upon, along with the general responses regardless, wow this is getting complicated I know lol.   

On work force conditions and to include all things, there has to be that balance where it's fair for both sides, union or not and this is really what it's about.  It's and when it's imbalanced is where this is a problem and that debate comes into play.  Find that balance and do not mandate some cookie cutter system and you should be fine, but give yourself some breathing room on both sides should things not go exactly as planned.

Honestly, building a car or otherwise is not some giant leap forward landing a rocket on the moon, it very much can be done and the staff is already trained and geared up to take care of production makes it a no brainer.  They can start small, just build one car or even a motorcycle, something, else it's a waste of talents and skills, at least try.

The SBA, Banks, all normal resources were just decimated during the housing crunch, none of them had any interest in new start up's and none to this day have any interest in bailing out a failing operation, so no, grabbing some loan like the rest as a small business was never there, but the bigger places, including the banks themselves got a giant hand out in access to capitol that the rest of us never had, take not of the very many vacancies and boarded up retail spots during those dark times.

The current scene is hopeful and on loan land, you had better watch your tail because many sharks are in the waters these days looking for prey so be very tactful upon if you are a small business owner.

I very much know if these guys got together and started their own thing, they would put GM through their paces, and as stated with other posts, let GM sink or swim on their own merit, not on some tax payer based loan, interest or not, we don't get that in small business land, and neither does the non business owner with their own.

My brother in law recently got fired at 60 after doing them a favor by training his replacement when he retired in a couple years. Making the plant profitable and wining awards for production made no difference. Now instead of plant manager somewhere he'll be lucky to get department head. Giving an heads up would have been no skin off their but and made easier for him. Instead they gave him pay for six months, health insurance and his performance bonus. All he had to do is submit to a non compete to get it. He had just turned down a head hunter that had offered him a sweet deal in a competing plant. They took their second choice. The only conclusion he could think of is the district manager wanted to sweeten his next quarterly profit sharing bonus.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GM spent a billion dollars buying Cruise Automation and has been dumping " a billion dollars/year" into building. For self driving  cars with an uncertain future. Tom Keene on Bloomberg had an auto analyst guest on Wednesday. He asked him: "what happens when that car comes upon one of our massive potholes in New York City?". The analyst had no answer. 

My 2 cents.

I have stated this before.

Grew up in the Detroit metro area during the muscle car era.

My dad worked for Chevy for a while.

At one time I had 6 uncles who drove truck for small company's hauling steel for the big 3. 

I have relatives that retired from the big 3.

Relatives working for the big 3 now.

High school friends that work for the big 3 or a small company related to the auto industry.

Prior to and growing up in the 60-70's the big 3 auto makers and the privately owned company's that made parts for them were the most available jobs to be had. The industry as a whole employed thousands of people in Michigan.

I worked in a small shop out of high school. We made auto trim using the roll forming method. 

As far as the unions, you have a right to your opinion.

My opinion is they helped the auto makers employees receive a wage that allowed them to make a decent living.

The big 3 was not going to give them decent wages.

I remember the strikes.

Everything costs more today.

We have the highest paid CEO's and upper management in the world I believe. 

Why pick on the working man.

Until you've walked a mile in their shoes it's pretty easy to be a keyboard junkie.

The bailout of all the company's was required.

Was it handled the right way, no.

The CEO's and upper management getting bonuses with bailout money I believe.

As they say, "It Is What It Is"

:)

• Like 1

I believe business should be able to do what business does. GM is a little different. We bailed them out and promises where made. Are they keeping them? Are we? Say what you want if you’re buying their over seas product your feeding the beast. When possible I pay a little more for products made here. As long as the quality is there. Henry Ford put his workers first and employed as many people as possible. They bought his product, pretty simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

44 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

My brother in law recently got fired at 60 after doing them a favor by training his replacement when he retired in a couple years. Making the plant profitable and wining awards for production made no difference. Now instead of plant manager somewhere he'll be lucky to get department head. Giving an heads up would have been no skin off their but and made easier for him. Instead they gave him pay for six months, health insurance and his performance bonus. All he had to do is submit to a non compete to get it. He had just turned down a head hunter that had offered him a sweet deal in a competing plant. They took their second choice. The only conclusion he could think of is the district manager wanted to sweeten his next quarterly profit sharing bonus.

He's not alone.

A friend built the IT department for a company.

Started with himself and 2 people.

Grew to over a hundred people.

To cut costs they moved IT to India.

He spent weeks in India training and setting it up.

He knew he was cutting his own throat but took the money.

:)

• Like 1

I don't want to start a union / non-union war here, but the fact remains, unions DID have their place in the day ..  BUT ... today, they've become yet another corrupt arm of the democrat party. Around here, every union jams democrat candidates down their employees throats. They funnel MILLIONS of dollars into the DNC. 

The entire state of MA is run by unions/democrats. As a private citizen, I'm only allowed to donate $500 to a candidate of my choice,, and businesses are BANNED from donating! Guess how much unions are allowed to contribute?

$15,000 .... :sick: What does that tell you? These people have sold their morals to the highest bidder. Today I see no difference between a politician and union boss.

Mass Fiscal is currently fighting this in the Supreme Court: http://www.massfiscal.org/union_loophole_case_being_appealed_to_scotus

Edited by Jsdirt
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Jsdirt said:

I don't want to start a union / non-union war here, but ...

The entire state of MA is run by unions/democrats. As a private ci...

You only get your information from Fox News, which is basically fake news.
BTW, your governor is a republican...
search.yahoo.com/search?p=mass%20governor%20 

CNN only had to clarify three stories related to Trump and conservatives in the last two weeks. The one with the high school kids was pitiful. The one the special council had to clarify was priceless. The Trump jr phone call that went on for two years was especially funny. Great journalism cnn and msnbc. Wonder why their losing viewers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Conversation has revealed that there are some unhappy posters  here.
Do know that I get my news from The Wall Street Journal and Bloomberg. 

You stated an opinion, I follow with a few facts. I'm retired, happy and have a high growth portfolio much more so in the last two years. Undeniable. For comic relief I do watch CNN it's a hoot.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Campier said:

You only get your information from Fox News, which is basically fake news.
BTW, your governor is a republican...
search.yahoo.com/search?p=mass%20governor%20 

BWAHAHAHAAHA! I can spot a leftist moonbat a mile away, and you, sir, fit that bill perfectly.

You obviously know NOTHING of MA. We have nearly 100% democrat rule in BOTH branches here. What in the hell do you think a Republican governor is going to do with that kind of opposition? Besides  that, he's a friggin RINO that sides with the moonbat leftists, like Elizabeth Warren, on nearly EVERY issue.

• Like 1

Dirt is reiterating a term that RWers invented to mock an English columnist who wrote about global warming. They keep repeating it and laugh to themselves. 
Animals think
They're pretty smart
But they don't even know
What a joke is
--David Byrne, "Animals"

You're highly entertaining, Campier! :lol: :lol: :lol:  You fit all the stereotypes of your political leanings.

And global "warming", "cooling" or "climate change", or whatever it's called this week, is about as real as unicorns are, just FYI.  Thinking folks realize it's a giant money grab, to steal wealth from oil companies, and shift it to the global leftist terrorists.

18 hours ago, KARNUT said:

I'm retired, happy and have a high growth portfolio much more so in the last two years. Undeniable. For comic relief I do watch CNN it's a hoot.

You have wealth and good fortune, but you spend your life sharing your misery about CNN.