Silverado-RaceTruck-001.jpg

Zane Merva

Executive Editor / Publisher - GM-Trucks.com

October 10th, 2019

Chevrolet is giving the not so subtle hint that the rumored Silverado ZRX model is about to become reality. Today, the brand announced that a "Silverado Race Truck" would compete in this weekend's Laughlin Desert Classic alongside the Hall Racing Colorado ZR2. Interestingly, the Silverado will compete in the Desert's 1200 Stock Class, which limits changes to suspension, under body, and race-safety equipment. What does that mean? This truck is not only ready to race, it's close to production too. 

Silverado-RaceTruck-002.jpg

“Off-road racing is just brutal on vehicles,” said Mark Dickens, chief engineer, Government Programs, Performance Variants, Parts and Motorsports, “and a single race puts more wear and tear on trucks than most vehicles will experience in years. That makes off-road racing a valuable test bed to evaluate new components. What we learn while racing informs everything from future performance parts and accessories to GM Defense projects and production vehicle changes.”

The "Silverado Race Truck" is outfitted with a number of aftermarket goodies that look like they were ripped right off a Colorado ZR2. Starting as an LT Trail Boss with the 6.2L V8, the Silverado Race Truck is outfitted with a long travel suspension, front and rear jounce shocks and Multimatic DSSV dampers. In short... the modifications that Chevy applies to the Colorado for the ZR2 model. 

Silverado-RaceTruck-003.jpg

Why didn't Chevy just come out and call this the ZRX Race Truck? We're not sure, but there's no doubt this is a low flying announcement made to pave the way towards an eventual Silverado model that emulates the ZR2's success in a larger package. Whether that's enough to take on the Ford Raptor is too early to determine. Stay tuned for updates on the "Silverado Race Truck" and future Silverado ZRX. 

Silverado-RaceTruck-004.jpg

• Like 2

On 10/11/2019 at 1:45 PM, L86 All Terrain said:

If GM builds this with a 6.2L V8 cheaper than a Raptor, it should crush the Raptor sales. No one wants a V6 in a sport truck.

As true as that may be the raptor is still crushing sales. GM is going to have to do a lot better than custom shocks and a few stickers if it wants to seriously compete. Widebody and custom bumpers seem like a requirement in the looks department. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I used to think the Raptor was just a niche model that made no difference in the larger scheme of pickup performance and sales.  That was before I was in the market for a new pickup to replace my rusted-out 1989 K1500 Z71 Sportside (the first Z71 Off Road decals anyone ever saw) and started researching 4x4's and found myself reading tests of the Raptor everywhere with no comparable tests of any Silverado-  and enjoying reading about the capabilities of the hated Ford!  Chevy should have joined the battle for top of the heap full-size half-ton off road pickups years ago.  And if they come out with this model it had better be superior to the Raptor in every way, including a V8 engine.  Otherwise, they might as well not bother.

On 11/6/2019 at 1:01 PM, mpzz said:

I used to think the Raptor was just a niche model that made no difference in the larger scheme of pickup performance and sales.  That was before I was in the market for a new pickup to replace my rusted-out 1989 K1500 Z71 Sportside (the first Z71 Off Road decals anyone ever saw) and started researching 4x4's and found myself reading tests of the Raptor everywhere with no comparable tests of any Silverado-  and enjoying reading about the capabilities of the hated Ford!  Chevy should have joined the battle for top of the heap full-size half-ton off road pickups years ago.  And if they come out with this model it had better be superior to the Raptor in every way, including a V8 engine.  Otherwise, they might as well not bother.

I could be very wrong but I do not see that happening. Although the ZR2 model seemed to receive a lot of praise from reviewers I don't know that the sales numbers justified the investment (no data). I see RAM taking a stab with their new truck as a direct competitor to the Raptor, and it looks to be exciting if it resembles anything close to their concept truck. (I hear it's going to have the 6.2L supercharged hellcat motor in it, let's pray to god that is true)

GM sadly has a history of pretty crappy off road editions of trucks. I think the cyclone was the last real edition of a truck that was a justified model. Generally they slap on some crappy shocks and call it off road, even the AT4, which looks nice and all, is just a glorified 2" spacer lift from my understanding.

Really hope I'm wrong. Would love to see something comparable from GM that has the 6.2L v8 with a supercharger, upgraded axels and slight lift (3" maybe?) with flares so you can fit 35/37s. I don't expect it to happen but I hope I'm wrong.

• 1 month later...

yeah tha truck doesn't look good, it needs a different body style to go along with motor and decent suspension, even raptor doesn't have great suspension, but looks of truck is definetly a must.....while I have new gen Silverado its not an easy truck to make good looking and proportionate....the body is just so massive and tall, but not impossible

different grill (even custom trim has better looking offroad appearance) and wider fenders, along with lift, decent suspension (not rancho) and similar tires as raptor.....they can do it though, idk if they will

dodge rebel while beautiful inside looks absolutely like garbage on outside, same with power wagon

maybe king edition, since everyone else is running fox, lol

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...